collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Discussion 15  (Read 35707 times)

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
Re: Monster High Discussion 15
« Reply #1275 on: March 14, 2013, 06:11:45 PM »
Puku- How long ago did you get your Dawn of the Dance Frankie off Amazon?? I want a double of her.. primarily for her clothing..
Hmm. Good question. The earliest photo of her on my Flickr stream is dated early November, but I'm pretty sure I had her for a while before that. Most likely it was sometime in September or October. She was out-of-box and came with all her accessories.

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 14, 2013, 06:13:39 PM »
aroa678: I think some people just enjoy the detailed way MH packaging is designed and want to preserve that for their collection, yet also want to play/touch their dolls.. thus they decide to buy doubles. ^^

The boxes really are pretty! I have a few unopened right now because I just love the way they look in their boxes!! I also get annoyed at dust.

Also Fräulein_Kim I looked at the RM clawdeen again and noticed mine does have a slightly different left eye but....she looks so innocent and pretty compared to what I've seen! haha

Yeah, mine does have two slightly different eyes as well. But even in pictures I have yet to see one that has them spot-on, so I guess that is just the way those were made. ^^..as long as they aren't melting off her face or trying to crawl up to her forehead everything's well I guess. ;D

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: March 14, 2013, 06:14:57 PM »
Yeah, mine does have two slightly different eyes as well. But even in pictures I have yet to see one that has them spot-on, so I guess that is just the way those were made. ^^..as long as they aren't melting off her face or trying to crawl up to her forehead everything's well I guess. ;D

Hahaha, that's a great point! These are just dolls and beautiful fun ones at that!  :lovey:

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: March 14, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »
I would be hesitant to invest in MH at all-  the prices are high because there is a total craze going on right now, but what happens when the fickle kids get tired of them?  And they WILL get tired of them eventually.  It's definitely a game trying to guess the market if that is what you are doing- the prices of your dolls could skyrocket, or suddenly everyone will get tired of them and they will be worth store value or less. 

Do any of you remember "beanie babies" ?  You seriously can't GIVE those things away now...

NOTHING stays trendy indefinitely...

^This.
I still remember PKMN/Digimon from when I was young. We were spending TONS of money.. now you can get them on ebay for €1. xD;

Post Merge: March 14, 2013, 06:17:17 PM

Hahaha, that's a great point! These are just dolls and beautiful fun ones at that!  :lovey:

..and coming from me that means a LOT. LOL.
Anyone who has read the 'What do you see..' thread on here and my prolonged and super-anal rantings about imperfect face-ups would not believe me saying such a thing.. but eh.. if I think I got the best possible option of a doll out there I can cope. xD
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:17:51 PM by Fräulein_Kim »

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 14, 2013, 06:27:22 PM »

The boxes really are pretty! I have a few unopened right now because I just love the way they look in their boxes!! I also get annoyed at dust.
I open all of mine, but I also save all the BACKcards, they take up a lot less room if you just cut off the back of the boxes...I will say though, that even though I opened them, I did keep the PowerGhouls' boxes because of thieir epic battle scenes

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 14, 2013, 06:28:11 PM »
Mine are still MIB. I have no intention of selling them,they're just amazing dolls to collect and they just look so pretty in their boxes. :P While yes they're worth a lot for now, but that wasn't the main reason why I collect them. I collect them because they make me happy just looking at them and playing with them!

Don't know why I'm keeping them MIB...yet I don't know what's stopping me from opening them... :huh: I'm just crazy like that. XD (I actually do know, I'm just in denial. :P)
My Flickr Page
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 14, 2013, 06:29:45 PM »
I open all of mine. I don't collect toys as an investment. I collect toys to use. My miniatures collections were for use with my D&D and Star Wars RPG games, and my ponies and MH dolls are for use as photography subjects.

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 14, 2013, 06:36:20 PM »
I collect toys to use.
lol and you have the photos to prove it! XD
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #1283 on: March 14, 2013, 06:38:54 PM »
Puku- hmmph, I probably won't find her that cheap now :lol: ah well.. I guess I will just have to keep my eyes peeled in case I find her for a good deal.

Ugh.. Beanie babies.. please don't remind me. Granted I was pretty young so I guess I'm not surprised that I used to think the coolest thing in the world was the pictures of people surrounded by their giant beanie baby collections. I'm the same way now only its dolls, not beanie babies! I had like 2 giant garbage bags and a plastic tub of those things, I didn't even bother selling them, I just donated them to a organization that helps lower class/underprivelaged (I don't care for that term, but my brain isn't providing me with the right wording) families. I wanted half of them to go to a children's hospital but because some of the children have very weak immune systems they can't allow donations unless they are still sealed in a package.

Anyway back on topic, I agree that trying to invest in dolls is a gamble. The way I see it is, if you buy when they are retail price and you're comfortable holding onto them with the chance that they may increase in value great. I personally wouldn't go buy a $50 doll in hopes that it'll go up to $100, unless of course I wanted the doll for my collection. Now, I will admit, if there is something I see which has an amazingly good deal and is selling for under its value I would consider buying it. It depends on the doll though. Buying dolls for profit or for hopes of a future increase in value can be really risky.. you have to know how the dolls sell, keep up with what people are interested in, make note of how distribution works (which can still throw you for a loop) and know what makes dolls sell. You need to feel comfortable with the amount of money you're spending on a doll and make sure you would be happy if you weren't able to sell the doll. You have to understand that you may not get more then retail (maybe not even) or even be able to sell the doll and be happy to buy the doll anyway. I have a few dolls in my collection that probably wouldn't sell or would take FOREVER to sell but I'm ok with that because I like them. That's enough from me though :)

Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

animal_lover

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1284 on: March 14, 2013, 06:41:37 PM »
I don't think my prices for the dolls I'm selling are really all that outrageous. I took the price I paid, added $10 for a finders fee and gas. (I live 30 mins to an hour from any stores.) Then I looked up what they've been selling for on ebay and took that into consideration as well. Keep in mind that this is all for the ones I have up on ebay. If I were to sell to someone on here I'd probably be a little more flexible.

This is what I have up on ebay right now and their prices:

Scary Tales Clawdeen: $43
PD Cleo: $35
Entire set of wave 2 Dead Tired: $60

I don't think those prices are outrageous. What does everyone else think?

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 14, 2013, 06:47:05 PM »
I collect toys to use.
lol and you have the photos to prove it! XD
:D

Puku- hmmph, I probably won't find her that cheap now :lol: ah well.. I guess I will just have to keep my eyes peeled in case I find her for a good deal.
It was kind of a random find. I had been looking for her on ebay for a bit, and all I could find were NIB ones at about $40-50 each. And then my friend was like "Hey, check this out! Here's a used DotD Frankie for $12.50!" So you never know, you might get lucky too!

faunabay

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1286 on: March 14, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »
I don't think my prices for the dolls I'm selling are really all that outrageous. I took the price I paid, added $10 for a finders fee and gas. (I live 30 mins to an hour from any stores.) Then I looked up what they've been selling for on ebay and took that into consideration as well. Keep in mind that this is all for the ones I have up on ebay. If I were to sell to someone on here I'd probably be a little more flexible.

Because I can find those dolls myself for regular store prices these prices would be too high for me.  That's just me though.  (shrug)

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 14, 2013, 06:52:05 PM »

Not totally outrageous, but those are all pretty common dolls right now (even internationally) so demand isn't huge and thus their value isn't either. They're not going to sell like hotcakes on ebay when most people can walk into a local store to get them.

I open all of mine, but I also save all the BACKcards, they take up a lot less room if you just cut off the back of the boxes...I will say though, that even though I opened them, I did keep the PowerGhouls' boxes because of thieir epic battle scenes

I open all my dolls, but cut off and keep the backcards too. Manageable storage-wise while still preserving some of the artwork, win-win! Not that I plan to sell my collection, it's all just for me... whoever inherits them when I'm dead can decide what to do with 'em, and if they can make some money because MH is still collectible, lucky them! :P

Speaking of the cute art... I saw this set of reusable wall decals at Walmart today:

SO cute. Love Ghoulia sitting on the pile of books. :heart: Anyone have these/put them up with their collection display? :D
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline missbonbon

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 14, 2013, 06:55:44 PM »

I don't think they are high but they are very easy to find in stores so marking them up at all may not work for selling

Please visit my photobucket to see my princess variant wish list. Photos borrowed from Shelti's site with permission. If they are your photos and don't want them on my link, please let me know, I will take them down right away!

Missbonbon's Princess Variant Wish List

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 14, 2013, 06:56:19 PM »
Anyway back on topic, I agree that trying to invest in dolls is a gamble. The way I see it is, if you buy when they are retail price and you're comfortable holding onto them with the chance that they may increase in value great. I personally wouldn't go buy a $50 doll in hopes that it'll go up to $100, unless of course I wanted the doll for my collection. Now, I will admit, if there is something I see which has an amazingly good deal and is selling for under its value I would consider buying it. It depends on the doll though. Buying dolls for profit or for hopes of a future increase in value can be really risky.. you have to know how the dolls sell, keep up with what people are interested in, make note of how distribution works (which can still throw you for a loop) and know what makes dolls sell. You need to feel comfortable with the amount of money you're spending on a doll and make sure you would be happy if you weren't able to sell the doll. You have to understand that you may not get more then retail (maybe not even) or even be able to sell the doll and be happy to buy the doll anyway. I have a few dolls in my collection that probably wouldn't sell or would take FOREVER to sell but I'm ok with that because I like them. That's enough from me though :)
Very true, Keep up to date with info and do research for what's hot and what's not on the market. While MH is pretty hot right now, rushing in reckless abandon thinking everything that comes/came out is gonna be worth a whole lot down the road is a BIG Risk and sometimes it'll work, or it'll come back and bite you on the rump.

Looking at the prices:

DT 2 prices is a really high for what they're being sold for. You said you bought them at Walgreens?? (It may have been someone else who did) Walgreens is a rather very VERY Overpriced place to buy MH Dolls from. $12 slim boxed dolls there go for $21 deluxe boxed dolls.

Scary Tales Clawdeen, that price is practically doubled. $30ish would be enough if you're adding 10 for finders fee and gas.

PD Cleo is still common on store shelves, so I wouldn't charge higher than retail.

These are just my opinions on your pricing. If it's still possible and you still have the receipt, I say try to return what you can so you don't lose too much money.
My Flickr Page

| For Sale | Wanted |

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal