collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Discussion 15  (Read 35783 times)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: Monster High Discussion 15
« Reply #1260 on: March 14, 2013, 03:55:12 PM »
Me too! Ever since my big shopping spree a week or 2 ago (i dropped like at least $150 in one day.) I've been telling myself that's it for now. Although a couple of the purchases that day were dolls to sell and most of my purchases since then have been the same. Unfortunately though it's kind of back firing because no one even wants the dolls I bought to sell. Not even on ebay!  :(

Well, several people did warn you that you shouldn't buy dolls just to try to sell them unless you had a buyer already lined up. It is never a guaranteed sell and even if you do manage to resell dolls unless they are rare you're often lucky to just break even. It's not a good idea to try and use selling MH dolls for profit as a way to make money if you can't afford the initial cost in the first place. It's a shame that even after people warned you against it you went out and spent more money on dolls and now you're stuck with them - there are collectors here who have been a part of the monster high community for several years, sometimes our advice is  worth listening to.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:57:10 PM by NoDivision »

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: March 14, 2013, 03:55:47 PM »
MH dolls are NOT a good investment unless you have the first wave, DotD, any guys that aren't Scaris Deuce and SDCC exclusives. They are the hardest and most sought after dolls in the entire franchise. There are some older dolls that can go for a pretty penny, but not nearly as much as the ones I mentioned go for.
-Bow Tie

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

animal_lover

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1262 on: March 14, 2013, 03:59:49 PM »
Speaking of DOTD, my Frankie came today!  :biggrin:  I got her for $51 including shipping. That's pretty good right?

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: March 14, 2013, 04:53:44 PM »
Ok. What are those?   :lookround: Can you tell I've never collected dolls before?  :lol:
They are really expensive, fully-articulated dolls that come in all sorts of varieties. I wouldn't recommend getting into those unless you have a substantial amount of disposable income.

I wasn't suggesting to buy them. I was suggesting to make them ;)
Every person who's a bit into arts and crafts can learn how to create a BJD. The materials aren't even that expensive if you cook your own cold porcelain instead of buying Apoxie Sculpt or similar clays.

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #1264 on: March 14, 2013, 04:56:47 PM »
Or, if you don't have sculpting ability, you could try just customizing a regular doll. That's a lot of fun, too. :D

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #1265 on: March 14, 2013, 05:04:19 PM »
Speaking of DOTD, my Frankie came today!  :biggrin:  I got her for $51 including shipping. That's pretty good right?
Is she MIB? I got my DotD Frankie used on ebay for $12.50 (plus shipping).

Every person who's a bit into arts and crafts can learn how to create a BJD. The materials aren't even that expensive if you cook your own cold porcelain instead of buying Apoxie Sculpt or similar clays.
Fair enough.

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: March 14, 2013, 05:16:24 PM »
You'd have to make themselves and start your own company.

I've actually considered this.  Finding the funding though to get started... O_O  And then, what if nothing sells.

animal_lover

« Reply #1267 on: March 14, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »
Yes, she is MIB.  :)

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
« Reply #1268 on: March 14, 2013, 05:36:33 PM »
Me too! Ever since my big shopping spree a week or 2 ago (i dropped like at least $150 in one day.) I've been telling myself that's it for now. Although a couple of the purchases that day were dolls to sell and most of my purchases since then have been the same. Unfortunately though it's kind of back firing because no one even wants the dolls I bought to sell. Not even on ebay!  :(

Well, several people did warn you that you shouldn't buy dolls just to try to sell them unless you had a buyer already lined up. It is never a guaranteed sell and even if you do manage to resell dolls unless they are rare you're often lucky to just break even. It's not a good idea to try and use selling MH dolls for profit as a way to make money if you can't afford the initial cost in the first place. It's a shame that even after people warned you against it you went out and spent more money on dolls and now you're stuck with them - there are collectors here who have been a part of the monster high community for several years, sometimes our advice is  worth listening to.

can't you just return the dolls  to the store that didn't sell for you?   i don't think there is any harm in getting extras to sell, just as long as they are price resonably..
you gotta know whats fair and keep up with that. 

Post Merge: March 14, 2013, 05:43:40 PM

MH dolls are NOT a good investment unless you have the first wave, DotD, any guys that aren't Scaris Deuce and SDCC exclusives. They are the hardest and most sought after dolls in the entire franchise. There are some older dolls that can go for a pretty penny, but not nearly as much as the ones I mentioned go for.
  yeah, thats what ya 'all say now, but i have been collecting since they came out, and people  back then were saying the same thing about  dotd dolls  and wave 1 even..
 honestly i am very suprised at how the prices on the older dolls sky-rockted, and haven't really seen any other toy line do that to  THIS extent..   

Thing is , it seems to me there is no way to know for sure who is going to increase in value.. right now the new dolls might not be worth more than retail, but in a few months or even a few years,  some of these are gonna be htf, especially in good shape with all accessories.  Just like  DOTD..  of course some of them will be a dime  a dozen too!

i am sure there is a doll who is a shelf warmer right now , who will be the next gill ,  we just can't predict who it will be!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:43:58 PM by mistic_imp »

aroa678

« Reply #1269 on: March 14, 2013, 05:47:05 PM »

It´s a beautiful hobby, but expensive, yes. The most I had was seven, but I had to sell most of them and I only own four now. It´s a beautiful hobby, as I said, but kinda makes me sad seeing people spending a lot (a LOT!!!) of money in 2 or 3 dolls/month...  I don´t know if I explain myself well.
I´m trying to make my own dolls, too because I love artscraft. I was doing a 40cm tall girl since... 2008  :lookround: and now I`m working on a kitty.

Sorry for the offtopic   ^^;

When I decide to buy my first ghoul I was planning to customize and sell for a reasonable price because I love to customize dolls but I don´t want to keep them all and if I sell them I can buy more for customize. I never thought that MH could be a big investment. I see many people here who buys doubles; on to MIB and one to play. I would like to ask in a polite way,please, don´t offense, why is that? it´s just in case they become rare and they could be sold expensive later? or it´s for another reason?
Sorry if it´s a weird question, just ignore me.  >_<

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: March 14, 2013, 05:53:04 PM »

can't you just return the dolls  to the store that didn't sell for you?   i don't think there is any harm in getting extras to sell, just as long as they are price resonably..
you gotta know whats fair and keep up with that. 

Post Merge: March 14, 2013, 05:43:40 PM

yeah, thats what ya 'all say now, but i have been collecting since they came out, and people  back then were saying the same thing about  dotd dolls  and wave 1 even..
 honestly i am very suprised at how the prices on the older dolls sky-rockted, and haven't really seen any other toy line do that to  THIS extent..   

Thing is , it seems to me there is no way to know for sure who is going to increase in value.. right now the new dolls might not be worth more than retail, but in a few months or even a few years,  some of these are gonna be htf, especially in good shape with all accessories.  Just like  DOTD..  of course some of them will be a dime  a dozen too!

i am sure there is a doll who is a shelf warmer right now , who will be the next gill ,  we just can't predict who it will be!

I have been collecting since spring of '11 and I don't think it's a great investment in general. While yes, I did say that the ones that are worth something are Wave 1, DotD, Guys and SDCC exclusives, I honestly don't think this franchise is going to be worth much in the long run. I would like to be proven wrong, but I also don't base my purchases on who is going to be the next Holt or Gil.
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #1271 on: March 14, 2013, 05:59:07 PM »
Tomorrow is shipment day at TRU.. I am seriously crossing my fingers that the Scaris 2 pack comes in.
I know exactly what is going to happen, I'm going to be super impatient waiting for all of these new releases to come out then Mattel is going to drop like 20 releases in a month. I'm going to laugh maniacally because I will actually have the money up front to buy everything. Then.. Mattel is going to drop another 20 in the next month and I'm going to cry. Oh Mattel.. why must I have a love hate relationship with you?? Why must I love all of your dolls but hate how many releases you do at a time? I even love and hate that!
         I need therapy..
               I think

Puku- How long ago did you get your Dawn of the Dance Frankie off Amazon?? I want a double of her.. primarily for her clothing..
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: March 14, 2013, 06:01:36 PM »
I think all (ALL) collections are a fickle thing in means of an 'Investment'. If I were to invest my money, I'd buy gold coins, stock/shares or diamond rings. ;)
But stuff like toys, models, most art (unless by Picasso or Dali or Gogh,...) are subject to how many other people in the world do want just THAT given thing at THAT given time. It's no guarantee. Never. Never ever.
Even Gil or SDCC dolls might be worthless in a couple of years, so.. I wouldn't buy them with the intention to sell them for profit in the long run. :|

aroa678: I think some people just enjoy the detailed way MH packaging is designed and want to preserve that for their collection, yet also want to play/touch their dolls.. thus they decide to buy doubles. ^^
I myself am by no means a MIB collector, yet I decided to get doubles of ST Clawdeen and the PowerGhouls. Since I LOVE their packaging and want to keep that to look at time and time again, but also want to play and style that dolls. :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:04:26 PM by Fräulein_Kim »

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: March 14, 2013, 06:07:31 PM »
aroa678: I think some people just enjoy the detailed way MH packaging is designed and want to preserve that for their collection, yet also want to play/touch their dolls.. thus they decide to buy doubles. ^^

The boxes really are pretty! I have a few unopened right now because I just love the way they look in their boxes!! I also get annoyed at dust.

Also Fräulein_Kim I looked at the RM clawdeen again and noticed mine does have a slightly different left eye but....she looks so innocent and pretty compared to what I've seen! haha

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: March 14, 2013, 06:10:16 PM »
I would be hesitant to invest in MH at all-  the prices are high because there is a total craze going on right now, but what happens when the fickle kids get tired of them?  And they WILL get tired of them eventually.  It's definitely a game trying to guess the market if that is what you are doing- the prices of your dolls could skyrocket, or suddenly everyone will get tired of them and they will be worth store value or less. 

Do any of you remember "beanie babies" ?  You seriously can't GIVE those things away now...

NOTHING stays trendy indefinitely...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal