collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony fanfic (not just FiM)  (Read 7479 times)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Pony fanfic (not just FiM)
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 06:33:27 PM »
I'm not really a fan of fanfiction, personally, but even still, I can't help but recommend a good friend's writing (link in my sig). It might not be what some people here are interested in since it's a retelling of Midnight Castle with FiM characters, but he really does justice to the G1 source, which is the primary reason I like it. No fan characters, interesting and creative use of the creatures and villains from the original, accurate portrayals of the FiM characters...I suppose if I like fanfiction at all, this is exactly what I  would look for; stories that are creative but still very aware of and respectful of the source material.

Offline Firehooves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »
I'm not really a fan of fanfiction, personally, but even still, I can't help but recommend a good friend's writing (link in my sig). It might not be what some people here are interested in since it's a retelling of Midnight Castle with FiM characters, but he really does justice to the G1 source, which is the primary reason I like it. No fan characters, interesting and creative use of the creatures and villains from the original, accurate portrayals of the FiM characters...I suppose if I like fanfiction at all, this is exactly what I  would look for; stories that are creative but still very aware of and respectful of the source material.

Awesome story your friend has there, I love it when Tirek menaces the G4 ponies! :) My stories are the reverse of the normal ones, though... I put G1 long before G4, creating a diffrent dynamic!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Argentum-Zeena

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 09:44:05 PM »
I remember recently reading a fanfic that meshed G1 and G4 into the same universe quite nicely (imo). In it, G1 was the future of G4, the latter being the Rome to the former's Middle Ages. I think it was called Equestrian Dialogues, or something similar.

EDIT- Oh my gosh, I'm a total idiot for not realizing you're the author, Firehooves ^^; That's what I get for not reading everything first, I suppose!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:03:32 AM by Argentum-Zeena »

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 10:10:13 PM »
I'm writing a long, long gen2 fanfic =) it's been around for a while, will finish it this year :) link is in my sig!!!

Tirac

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 11:02:43 AM »
FIIIIIIREHOOOOOVES!!!! *fansqueals*

Sorry, but your fanfic Twilight Then, Twilight Now strengthened my interest in G4. It's the second MLP fanfic I ever read.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 11:30:35 AM »
I remember recently reading a fanfic that meshed G1 and G4 into the same universe quite nicely (imo). In it, G1 was the future of G4, the latter being the Rome to the former's Middle Ages. I think it was called Equestrian Dialogues, or something similar.

EDIT- Oh my gosh, I'm a total idiot for not realizing you're the author, Firehooves ^^; That's what I get for not reading everything first, I suppose!
that's hilarious

Offline Firehooves

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »
Thanks everyone! Glad there are so many that like my fics, especially Tirac and Zeena.

Yeah, in my fics, I put G1 post G4- FiM's backstory as written, to me, doesn't really mesh well with G1 being in it's background. I personally choose to put G1 after FiM. This makes Equesteria feel like a lost golden age- like ancient rome (as Zeena stated) or Camelot, and gives the 'smiles and tea parties and sharing feelings' generation a much darker edge. It also puts the focus of my Fanfic universe on G1, instead of G4.

One of the most important things to me was fleshing out the G1 ponies, making them more than just the brushable toys. Using the little snippets we got from the G1 cartoon and uk comics, I tried to give these ponies depth while staying true to what the fiction gave us. Wind Whistler is a logical and calculating scientist and tactician, Gusty is a tough fighter with a sarcastic mouth, Firefly is a boy-crazy tomboy, Truly is... a word I will not repeat on this board XD.  But my point is a gave them personalities that meshed with the fleeting glimpses we got from the offical fiction, while fleshing them out as much, if not more, than G4 fleshed it's characters.

One thing that irked me, was how many Brony fanfic authors always seemed to potray the G1 ponies as gullible, weak, and stupid. Megan is often potrayed as an evil witch manipulating the ponies, and the G4 ponies often have to save them. Here, the Dream Valley ponies are descended from Equestrian Exiles and outcasts- ponies toughened by the Dark Age they have been forced to grow up in. Firefly could probably tear Rainbow Dash in half, and Surprise would probably drive even Pinkie Pie insane with her antics. I haven't yet touched on Posey's plant control abilites, and later on I plan to reaveal how Twilight Shine has the pontential to be faaar more powerful than any of the Alicorns, including her ancestor.

Another thing I tried to do was give ponies a diffrent culture, with diffrent values. Yes,  I did render most of the G1 fillies and mares- even Firefly- far more girly that thier Equestrian counterparts (As a tribute to the Cartoon, I added a weird aspect to Ponyland culture that any female pony without a tailbow in public is considered 'naked' and 'indecent'-same goes for the males and thier ascots) But just because they are girly doesn't mean they can't fight, or lead, or go on adventures. Also, Females rule ponyland completely here. (Note how Barnacle deferred to Masquerade in my Equestria Dialouges fic) and the boys are second class citizens who serve ethier as soldiers on the front, or waste thier time racing around the world (like in the big brother ponies episode of G1, Song of Sonombula) Also, Ponyland Ponies have no problems with killing an oppenent that threatens them or thier families, instead of befriending them (I'm looking at you, tirek and Levan). I wanted them to be diffent than both humans, and thier equestrian ancestors.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:42:36 PM by Firehooves »

Tirac

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 05:35:24 PM »
The work you did shows. Your fanfiction is much entertaining than many of the G1-G4 crossovers, probably because you don't follow all those things you mention. I usually cringe and hit the back button when I see a generation crossover, but yours is really entertaining.

I've only done a few crossover fanfictions myself, many of them are crack or based off of the roleplay I'm in. I try to flesh out character traits to follow the original story, whilst giving it it's own flair. I tend to make it darker, following the path of RaMC.

Offline Firehooves

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 10:10:30 AM »
Thanks, Tirac!

And G1 fans, I really wish you'd give my fanfics a chance. I really worked hard and put a lot of time and effore to work LITTLE things in that only MLP collectors would know about. For a good starter point for G1/my fics, I'm working on this G1-era story;

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8291826/1/the-magnificent-six

CarnationTwirl

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 11:01:54 AM »
I'd like to write down some of the adventures that have happened in my head, but I'm afraid they wouldn't go over very well.  First of all none of them mesh exactly with any generation, and secondly (and most importantly) I'm not a very good story teller.

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 11:17:06 AM »
i actualy only like G1 fanfics LOL  ;)   i used to be quite into writing and playing them years ago
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 12:24:19 PM »
I've toyed with the idea before since I absolutely LOVE writing fanfiction, but to be honest I doubt I'll ever write a story for MLP. This is mostly because I don't think I'd want to write about G1 OR G4, but rather, stories based after my toy ponies that were never included in any of the shows. When I started collecting G3 babies, I fell absolutely head over heels with them, since they have such a wide variety of personalities and looks, but there's not so many of them that it's impossible to keep track. I love their designs so much I made up vague personalities for them since they were never actually part of any series and I thought it'd be fun to go deeper into them and really give them solid backgrounds and a proper world. But since these are practically OCs, despite being based after actual ponies, and without a set 'universe' to tie them to, I just don't think it'd fly very well.

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 01:31:26 PM »
Any G1 folk remembers Dream Castle or whatever written by High Queen Tiffany?  She used to write heaps of fanfics about G1 ponies and there was actually small fan base growing around what she came up with.

I wouldn't say I write fan fiction, but I used to like to write short stories for my ponies. I hardly have time to sleep these days, much less to talk about writing anything. lol I used to write up short stories that imitate the G1 backcard stories for my G2 ponies when they first came out because I thought the effort on the G2 backcards was abysmal. They weren't even backcards to me but rather more like profile cards.

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline Firehooves

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »
I'd like to write down some of the adventures that have happened in my head, but I'm afraid they wouldn't go over very well.  First of all none of them mesh exactly with any generation, and secondly (and most importantly) I'm not a very good story teller.

Go ahead and give it a try! The best thing about fanfiction is that ANYONE can write it express themselves!

i actualy only like G1 fanfics LOL  ;)   i used to be quite into writing and playing them years ago

Actually, most of my fics ARE G1, G4 and the other gerations happened in the past. You might like my fics! ^^

I've toyed with the idea before since I absolutely LOVE writing fanfiction, but to be honest I doubt I'll ever write a story for MLP. This is mostly because I don't think I'd want to write about G1 OR G4, but rather, stories based after my toy ponies that were never included in any of the shows. When I started collecting G3 babies, I fell absolutely head over heels with them, since they have such a wide variety of personalities and looks, but there's not so many of them that it's impossible to keep track. I love their designs so much I made up vague personalities for them since they were never actually part of any series and I thought it'd be fun to go deeper into them and really give them solid backgrounds and a proper world. But since these are practically OCs, despite being based after actual ponies, and without a set 'universe' to tie them to, I just don't think it'd fly very well.

Hey, if it's about the toys, it's still an MLP fic, right? They might be fun to read!

Any G1 folk remembers Dream Castle or whatever written by High Queen Tiffany?  She used to write heaps of fanfics about G1 ponies and there was actually small fan base growing around what she came up with.

Oh, my! I've never heard vof these stories before! I s this high Queen Tiffany still around?^^

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Always dresses in style
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 11:59:32 PM »
More than a few of stories on FIMfiction are written entirely with OCs... and a bunch of those are in alternate universes so there's very little that's truly MLP in those stories aside from the fact that the characters are ponies.

My advice (for what it's worth) is to set the stories in the current MLP universe, use the personalities you came up with for the G3s, and set the stories in a town that has not shown up in any form of official media (Las Pegasus, Baltimare, Fillydelphia, Vanhoover, for example) or even create some towns.

I know there's some hostility towards G3, but I haven't seen it on FIMfiction.  I can point to several highly rated fics that have G3s prominently featured.

As for the last part about how well it goes over, I know as a writer I want everyone to love my work, but at the end of the day I write because I want to.  But if I'm satisfied with the story, I don't care if it has one like or a hundred, as long as I like it.
Rainbow Dash always dresses in style.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal