collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: If you were wondering how Hasbro is doing...  (Read 6484 times)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
Re: If you were wondering how Hasbro is doing...
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2013, 03:01:54 PM »
For christmas my mom bought me a skylanders game. I had kind of ignored it previously when it was first introduced to the market but now that I have it I really like it and I would like to tell Hasbro to make a pony game like this.

Actually I think Disney is going to be doing a similar kind of game - I saw something on facebook not that long ago posted.

https://infinity.disney.com/#!/game

SO Hasbro, this would be awesome with ponies, get on it.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »
It'd be awesome to buy a pony and it did something in a game or came with a code to put in a game.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2013, 03:59:31 PM »
I haven't bought anything since around October of last year, everything has been re-releases, no incentive.

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline Esbayne

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2013, 04:12:06 PM »
Anyway, I think they are right about kids and video games and computer games. Kids don't have an imagination for physical toys anymore. Electronic games make up the storyline for them.

That right there, I find that insanely sad. I'm 15 and even at my highschool, kids glued to their phones and get all pissy if they get taken away, say their life sucks without it and they're soo bored. I come home, write, draw, make customs, all that! And people think I'm ridiculously creative. No, not really. xD I just have an imagination outside of a little screen.

My one year old cousin has his own tablet and know how to work it. I just shake my head, he can't even talk yet. In my humble opinion, the majority of all the kids in these newer generations are just... Being dumbed down. They have no skill, imagination, ability to live without technology and "robots" doing things for them. This doesn't speak for all kids, but a hell of a lot of them. Anyway... Enough ranting about me disliking kids these days, git off mah lawn now. *Shakes cane at*

Even if they don't read it or take it into consideration, I'm gonna mail Hasbro real quick. I've done it before and got a response once, the other one was automated. (Unless they have super sarcastic employees. I said some really snarky things to them back when G3.5 was going on about how awful they were and they needed a change and quick. They thanked me for my kind words and compliments xD)

Edit: Wow sorry this is so long... But on the pony digital game idea, remember those Webkin things? I don't know if they're still around, I never see them cause I go straight to Legos or Ponies without browsing but I almost feel like they'd be turned into that. I remember playing it as a really little kid, that game got so ridiculous. xD
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:13:58 PM by Kingsly »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2013, 07:17:52 AM »
Anyway, I think they are right about kids and video games and computer games. Kids don't have an imagination for physical toys anymore. Electronic games make up the storyline for them.

That right there, I find that insanely sad. I'm 15 and even at my highschool, kids glued to their phones and get all pissy if they get taken away, say their life sucks without it and they're soo bored. I come home, write, draw, make customs, all that! And people think I'm ridiculously creative. No, not really. xD I just have an imagination outside of a little screen.

My one year old cousin has his own tablet and know how to work it. I just shake my head, he can't even talk yet. In my humble opinion, the majority of all the kids in these newer generations are just... Being dumbed down. They have no skill, imagination, ability to live without technology and "robots" doing things for them. This doesn't speak for all kids, but a hell of a lot of them. Anyway... Enough ranting about me disliking kids these days, git off mah lawn now. *Shakes cane at*

Even if they don't read it or take it into consideration, I'm gonna mail Hasbro real quick. I've done it before and got a response once, the other one was automated. (Unless they have super sarcastic employees. I said some really snarky things to them back when G3.5 was going on about how awful they were and they needed a change and quick. They thanked me for my kind words and compliments xD)

Edit: Wow sorry this is so long... But on the pony digital game idea, remember those Webkin things? I don't know if they're still around, I never see them cause I go straight to Legos or Ponies without browsing but I almost feel like they'd be turned into that. I remember playing it as a really little kid, that game got so ridiculous. xD

Yes, I agree about kids these days having no imagination.  When I was a kid, I would play with my barbies or ponies (outside if it was a nice day) and I could play for hours by myself.  I had such an imagination as a kid.  I get annoyed when I see little kids texting or talking on a cell phone for something that could wait until they get home.  I know adults do that too but when kids do it I just think they should be playing with toys.  Lots of educational toys are electronic, they do everything for you.  I'm not a fan of leapster or leappad or whatever it is, where the book reads for you.  I was told it helps kids sound out letters but what will they do when they enter mid elementary school when leapster or leap pad will be too old for them?  Are they going to struggle to read books because they're not electronic and read for them?

Sad to say, but I think kids nowadays would be more interested in MLP if they came with batteries and you could hook them up to your iphone or something stupid like that.

To add something to the person I quoted:  Yes, webkinz are still around.  Although they are going downhill like Hasbro.  More stores aren't selling them anymore, even stores like Justice.  They're going deluxe with too many things like most of the games and even the clothing at the kinz style outlet.  I pretty much go on to be with my friends who in the park are mostly adults.  Not all of them are grandparents or parents who some might say have an excuse to play webkinz because their kids or grandkids do.  I find that insulting, like people think it's wrong for an adult to do webkinz.  Kids are insulted if you tell them, thinking we're taking over or we're creepy adults on a kids website.  No where doe sit say it's only for kids.  OK enough of that.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:21:52 AM by Majesty »

Tirac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2013, 10:28:52 AM »
A lot of girls actually LIKE adventure. In other words, bad guys are a good thing. Going on a journey with their toys and being able to throw their enemy off the bed is an accomplishment for a kid.
And THIS. Was how I spent my childhood. I came up with so many stories and adventures with my toys and the villains met their doom in this exact way.

I think like what others have said is that toys are dying out because children are getting electronic devices at an insanely early age. It's not so bad to have a gaming handheld system with a couple of cartridges. I had a gameboy and Pokemon Yellow as a kid and I didn't spend every waking hour with it. It's cellphones and tablets and the need to make EVERYTHING electronic. Also, giving a young kid access to their own computer results in this too.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2013, 10:33:47 AM »
Webkinz were too expensive for a small stuffed animal. Without their online access passcodes, the stuffed animals themselves go for about 70ยข at the local thrift store. You basically pay the $15 for the internet code and then the kids want more than one webkinz and you have to pay that much each time for what is essentially a $5 beanie babie with an internet code. With other collectable toy lines like LPS its about $5 for the average two pack of animals. Much more attainable for more American kids. Even MLP are $5 each. They could sell more at $5 if they had an internet site to play along with them, but not if they jacked them up to $15 to sell the internet game site access.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2013, 10:34:15 AM »
I think the pony line itself is doing fine- what isn't doing fine is overall sales in general.  Given that all of the toy companies are facing the same issue, I suspect the economy combined kids just not wanting/playing with toys anymore.

I seem to recall a marketing person from a different toy company a few years ago explaining that the age range of kids who play with actual plastic toys (ponies and dolls and such) gets younger and younger ever year. 

MLPs and Monster High would appear to be an exception.  But even with Monster High, Mattel is also reporting a poor earnings quarter.

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2013, 11:11:09 AM »
A lot of girls actually LIKE adventure. In other words, bad guys are a good thing. Going on a journey with their toys and being able to throw their enemy off the bed is an accomplishment for a kid.
And THIS. Was how I spent my childhood. I came up with so many stories and adventures with my toys and the villains met their doom in this exact way.
My bf's niece is the same way, she was stoked to get Nightmare Moon. She loved having someone to *battle* against and then of course later invite over for cake because she wasn't all bad. :)

Even if it is a down economy the company has to define what consumers would pay for and what they WON'T pay for. I haven't seen many people looking at the ponies and when they do, they tell the children that they won't buy a repeat and take their money elsewhere.
My friend won't buy anymore ponies even if they are packaged with a new one, or even on sale, because her daughter already has too many repeats.

As far as Mattel:Monster High I did overhear a mother telling her children that they took up too much room and she wouldn't buy any more.

There's always a reason to not buy something.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2013, 11:14:31 AM »
I'm a collector and even I am done buying G4's except individuals. I'm not paying $30 for a playset I don't want, a repeat, and one exclusive pony I do want.

CottonTALE

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2013, 11:20:01 AM »
I'm mainly just sticking with trades here on the arena or second-hand shoppes... That way I can always know I am getting something new to add to my collections.

When the new stuff does come out, i'll go and buy it... As long as it's a new character. I don't want my spares drawer looking like the episode "Too Many Pinkie Pies" (although it's getting there to be honest.)

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2013, 11:50:14 AM »
It's sad all the way around.

They want to make money.

We want to give them our money.

Who dropped the ball? They did.

I don't understand why they have such a lack of vision and a total disconnect from their market.

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »
It's sad all the way around.

They want to make money.

We want to give them our money.

Who dropped the ball? They did.

I don't understand why they have such a lack of vision and a total disconnect from their market.
Pfft...Dictatorship Toy Companies these days.>>
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »
Why am I not surprised at the results?

Hey, Hasbro, maybe it's time to start listening to us, hm?  At this point, I don't even think it's the retailer demands that's doing this anymore; if it's true that they say to Hasbro that the ponies need to be pink or purple, I'm sure Hasbro could make other pink and/or purple ponies besides Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle.  Besides, they didn't seem to have this issue in the past when they released tons of new ones, and I highly doubt the retailers are calling Hasbro up saying, "Give us a billion more Pinkie Pies!"

CottonTALE

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2013, 05:07:18 PM »
Why am I not surprised at the results?
^This all the way. I can come up with tonnes of ideas, but i'm sure Hasbro will just reject them and say "People aren't going for them, they wan't moar pinkie pies"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal