collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: If you were wondering how Hasbro is doing...  (Read 6503 times)

Offline babylofty

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
If you were wondering how Hasbro is doing...
« on: February 04, 2013, 01:13:05 PM »
I know you were all eagerly anticipating the release of Hasbro's fourth quarter earnings report like I was, right? Right?

*crickets*

Anyway, here it is, and the news isn't pretty. :( Watch the video.

http://money.cnn.com/video/investing/2013/01/25/investing-buzz-hasbro-mattel-toys-jobs.cnnmoney
darcerin on the TP, arinaketchum on ebay, Salvia on PI

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: If you were wondering how Hasbro is doing...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:43:48 PM »
This is what I was looking for since all we had was the third Quarter XD:yikes:

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:58:15 PM »
Maybe if they listened more to what people actually want in toys?? They didn't really have anything for 4th quarter for MLP anyway, it was all left over wedding stuff from 3rd quarter.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

RedKitsune

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 02:00:32 PM »
Not good x_x; Hey, where did that Twilight Sparkle plushie come from in the video? 0_x; It doesn't have noodle hair.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »
Yes if they would make the line a little more interesting then thing might get better! I also have been wondering what is going to be coming out this year. I have a feeling its going to be a dead year for ponies, new ponies that is.

Offline BigBrotherPony

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 02:19:30 PM »
They are not doing well... And to be honest I am sooo confused with them as a company!

They saw huge successes with LPS in the past few years, which was a line based on variety.... And then they have a completely different mindset when it comes to Ponies... It's like how many Pinkie Pies can we cram into a toy store! They are so wasting every opportunity that FIM could open up! And it is not going to be long before G4s are driven into the ground because of their stoopid assortment issues!

I think Hasbro should take a look back at how successful things were in the 80's from a toy perspective and bring that back, Barbie and LEGO have gone back to their roots somewhat and are seeing much bigger success now.... Why don't Hasbro do the same with their own lines. Variety and novelty are key in the toy industry!!!!! They aren't delivering either on MLP at the moment.

They should focus on what they were good at and stick to that, they are spending far to much time copying and battling with other toy manufacturers .... KREO.... Need I say more, instead of doing what they were once great at!

phoenixsoul85

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »
The only thing that got be excited was the release of Princess Celestia in white.  Not sure we really needed another release of the mane six without new friends especially with tinsel hair.  I'm hoping to see some brushable Wonderbolts, male ponies (since they've done Shining Armor, there is a mold), and I know that I'll take flack for it but I always hope they bring out the sea ponies and not those weird merponies that had legs.  I have to say I agree about the overabundance of Pinkie Pie, she's fun but can we get some VARIETY?!?!?!

Hasbro has had several flops in the past when it comes to ponies but they have managed to continue the reign of the MLPs for close to 30 years.  It is pretty awesome that I've been able to see the franchise grow and evolve.  Here's hoping for more exciting pony news in 2013.

CarnationTwirl

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 02:25:06 PM »
Boo.  This means a zillion more Pinkie Pies.  Pink = safe.  Even though just the other day I watched parents not buying ponies because "no, she already HAS that one!"

StarberryTart

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 02:39:40 PM »
They really need to invest some time into what people want in regards to ponies. For current pony stuff, they keep selling the same Mane Six... over and over and over and over again. Some of the playsets are quite silly, like Celestia having tea with Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash. Or Pinkie Pie giving Fluttershy a jewel bath.

I know the market isn't to adults but to children, especially girls, but would it hurt to have some more of the blindbags converted to brushables? I'd love to have a brushable Apple Dazzle, Minty, Bitta Luck, and Pepperdance. Or maybe some more characters from the TV show, like Silver Spoon, Diamond Tiara, Granny Smith, Big Mac, Braeburn, Doctor Whooves, the Wonderbolts, or Thunderlane? I think the toy line could benefit from a "Big Brothers" line for G4. Maybe even some of the villains? Or, heck, I dunno, make your Crystal Empire ponies actually CRYSTAL-ISH instead of just adjusting the eye glistens and putting tinsel in their hair?

People got excited over Zecora, The Favorites Collection, the wedding castle playset, the wedding wave of brushables (Trixie, Lyra, etc), and :muffin: Pony. People bought these toys. I was so concerned that they would sell out in stores that I PREORDERED them, something that I have NEVER done with toys before. Hasbro needs to step their game up a bit and see what the buyers want.

Personally, I've always felt that they should invest in a custom pony shop online where you can build your own creations and then be able to submit your designs to the store so that others can also purchase your custom pony. I'd be buying tons of those.

Water_Fire

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 02:39:56 PM »
I can't see why Hasbro are pushing Pinkie Pie so hard. Yeah, she's pink, and 'girls like pink' (do NOT get me started!), but what parent would buy their child yet another Pinkie Pie? No wonder they seem to be having problems. This all seems to be common sense.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 02:40:46 PM »
Ya they are almost doing that core thing again, that is what made me stop collecting :(

The two stores in my town that sell ponies have not moved much of anything. They are all the same things and its so sad :( I want to buy new ponies and there is nothing :(
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:42:52 PM by avene1984 »

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 02:42:39 PM »
Come to think of it. There really wasn't anything new for Christmas this year pony toy wise.  I think the last official release that was available to everyone was the trixie, lyra etc brushables right?

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 02:49:40 PM »
They are not doing well... And to be honest I am sooo confused with them as a company!

They saw huge successes with LPS in the past few years, which was a line based on variety.... And then they have a completely different mindset when it comes to Ponies... It's like how many Pinkie Pies can we cram into a toy store! They are so wasting every opportunity that FIM could open up! And it is not going to be long before G4s are driven into the ground because of their stoopid assortment issues!

I think Hasbro should take a look back at how successful things were in the 80's from a toy perspective and bring that back, Barbie and LEGO have gone back to their roots somewhat and are seeing much bigger success now.... Why don't Hasbro do the same with their own lines. Variety and novelty are key in the toy industry!!!!! They aren't delivering either on MLP at the moment.

They should focus on what they were good at and stick to that, they are spending far to much time copying and battling with other toy manufacturers .... KREO.... Need I say more, instead of doing what they were once great at!

Exactly! i'm really confused as well! I just honestly don't get who in their right mind could think that popping out same 6 ponies ever and over again is a good sales tactic.
Whatever, I'm generally very disappointed with everything they did with G4 so I don't really care :P
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 02:50:45 PM »
Not good x_x; Hey, where did that Twilight Sparkle plushie come from in the video? 0_x; It doesn't have noodle hair.

She looks like the TS pillow plush that was released during the Target Canterlot promotion.

I agree that they should bring back some variety! They had some in the beginning of the G4 line with all different brushable characters but they've lost it. I know keeping the mane six and the princesses visible is important to them because it ties in with the cartoon, but even kids aren't going to want their playsets if it comes with two ponies they already have. The Canterlot promotion had the right idea by releasing some playsets with new ponies (Starbeam Twinkle, Shine Bright Luna and Twilight) and some international exclusives did the same--some folks shelled out just to get the new special ponies, or it at least helped justify the purchase. I don't know why they stopped that.

Unless there is more than what the EW article is showing, their fall line shows no promise. The only new pony so far is alicorn Twilight.

Woo! What a rant! Anywho, I do feel sorry for Hasbro and other toy companies that are losing money to tech-savvy kids. Also sorry to all those Hasbro employees who lost their jobs.

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 02:51:30 PM »
If their distribution here wasn't an absolute joke they might be getting more of my money. As it is, I'm forced to get several very recent releases second hand (Cherry Berry, Sunny Rays) because they were on shelves in an incredibly limited amount of stores for well under a month. I'd like to give you my money, Hasbro, but nowhere here sells pony stuff I don't already have. I can't even get blind bags any more :( They really ought to open a survey and see what people will buy.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:19:03 PM by CupidStrikes »
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal