collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3 Divine Shines  (Read 4729 times)

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: G3 Divine Shines
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 04:19:25 PM »
Ack, I sure hope mine don't go sticky. So far the one is faded color but I have removed them from the box of other ponies just in case.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Buddafly

• ERMAHGERD PWNIES!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • coffee addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 07:42:59 PM »
Has anybody tried resealing one that's leaking plasticiser? I'm curious if a even a coat of Mod Podge or something would help.

That's an interesting idea. Someone should try this on a sticky fakie some time. Even if it does work, it might not be optimal for a very collectible pony, though.

I imagine that wouldn't work.  it would just continue to get sticky underneath, lifting off the layer of mod podge.  if there was ever a chance of that working, it would probably require taking the head off and dunking the whole body in it so you coated the inside, too.  otherwise air is getting into the inside, keeping the deterioration process going.  I would imagine though, that nothing will stop it once it's started until whatever is leaking out is done, leaving you with one of those rock hard ponies.
looking into a re-branding.

Offline Dludnerad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ice cream and llamas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 08:39:18 PM »
The talc powder thing really does work, not just on divine shine ponies. Lots f ponies have this problem, including G1s.

I see it... Can you see it too...? :shocked:

Offline Iceglider

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Mommy, Artist, Roleplayer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/creaturepainter
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 08:09:50 AM »
Mine has no glitter at all now and is pink like that. I discovered the stickiness when I deboxed her to remove an already rusting tail washer. I lived in FL at the time so it might have been heat related. She was in storage for 3 months.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 08:57:02 AM »
These horror stories are why I haven't gone after this set yet. Which makes me really sad, because I really like them.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 11:53:57 AM »
I have questions about my set of Divine Shine Ponies. I have all 4 of them, 2 are loose and 2 are MIB. The loose ones are in the display cabinet with other ponies, but they are aren't touching them/near the others  Are they far enough away away from the others that it's safe to leave them in the cabinet?  :what: Is it safe to leave the 2 in the boxes that are MIB?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »
I still don't understand where the glitter goes... it's witchcraft!

I don't think we can really say "horrible quality hasbro!" on this. I don't think they could have predicted how these ponies would age. I mean they obviously did something differently than the G1 sparkles, but I'm sure whatever new method they tried they could never have predicted these weird reactions.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2013, 12:03:27 PM »
Oh wow, this is the first time I have heard of these issues and I am horribly disappointed. Tangerine Twinkle was one of my first ponies and I love her fiercely... I will be sure to keep an eye on her! I bought her secondhand so I don't know what she looked like right out of the box, so as far as I know she hasn't been displaying any issues with fading or breakdown.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 03:08:44 PM »
I have questions about my set of Divine Shine Ponies. I have all 4 of them, 2 are loose and 2 are MIB. The loose ones are in the display cabinet with other ponies, but they are aren't touching them/near the others  Are they far enough away away from the others that it's safe to leave them in the cabinet?  :what: Is it safe to leave the 2 in the boxes that are MIB?

Ponyfan

Its not infectious :) The glitter loss, colour loss, yellowing and stickiness is due to the plastic of that pony breaking down - its all internal not external so its only going to affect the pony which has the breaking down plastic.

The only think I would be careful of is sometimes during this they can loose some of their plastic pigment so dont press them against other ponies as the colour may stain other ponies.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Wysteria

• MOC Crazy!
  • Trade Count: (+118)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Katz Pony Shop
    • View Profile
    • http://www.katzponyshop.ecrater.com/
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2013, 04:12:21 PM »
Oh my, I really need to go find my loose ones, they're probably just in a bin with the rest of my ponies. I can't say I'm really surprised this is happening. To anyone who remembers opening them when they were new, they smelled horrible! The plastic was certainly different from what they normally used and obviously not high quality. I have some dollar store glitter fakies in G3 molds that I noticed have turned as well.

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2013, 06:15:25 PM »
Is the one that's faded made in the same country as the one that's still good?
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2013, 08:27:42 PM »
Mine haven't lost any glitter yet, but I have noticed a very slight stickiness to them like others have mentioned.

I really wish Hasbro would have made more G3s like them in different colors....blue, green, red, etc.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:48 AM »
I just deboxed a Secret Wish and she is all sticky and "wet."  :(  Such a bummer.  I'll have to try some of the tips listed in this thread.  I have the other three loose already and they all are fine.  I wonder if keeping Secret Wish in her box sped up the process of her becoming sticky... :(
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline Eternity

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »
Hmm, this sounds just like the G2 translucent Hip Holly problems. She did not have glitter but she inevitably would end up sticky or tacky over time as the plasticizer broke down. The only other translucent G2 that comes to mind immediately is Queen Sunsparkle, but I've never heard specifically of any problems with her. (She's glitter-filled like the G3s.) Can any G2 collectors weigh in?

I would love to get one of those no-glitter translucent G3s in my collection. Of course, I haven't checked upstairs on my special pony shelf to see if I already have one. :( They're the only G3s on the shelf because they're my favorite G3s. Sad, but inevitable, I guess.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2013, 02:56:29 PM »
[Its not infectious :) The glitter loss, colour loss, yellowing and stickiness is due to the plastic of that pony breaking down - its all internal not external so its only going to affect the pony which has the breaking down plastic.

The only think I would be careful of is sometimes during this they can loose some of their plastic pigment so dont press them against other ponies as the colour may stain other ponies.

Thank you for all of the information. :) I checked my loose Secret Wish and she doesn't feel normal. but she doesn't feel what I would call wet or sticky either. It's hard to describe other than "not being normal"  One of my MIB Divine Shines looks like the glitter is gone from her head/face (She still has some in her ears though.) 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal