collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3 Divine Shines  (Read 4730 times)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: G3 Divine Shines
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2013, 05:29:09 PM »
Is the one that's faded made in the same country as the one that's still good?

All G3s are manufactured in China. :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2013, 05:37:58 PM »
Odd we have some that are fine, and some that have the issue.  We have cleaned the sticky ones and they seem fine now. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Buddafly

• ERMAHGERD PWNIES!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • coffee addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2013, 06:00:56 PM »
this topic made me pull my girl out, too - just to see what kind of shape she's in.

I feel like she used to be a darker purple, but other than being a tad tacky, and possibly slightly lighter in color, she seems ok.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

she is kept in an airtight container, and actually deals with crazy temp fluctuations in my closet (super cold in the winter, and super hot in the summer)
looking into a re-branding.

Offline PrincessStarlily

• Ponyland Historian
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Jeremiah 29:11 - God has a plan for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2013, 03:32:11 PM »
My Glitterbelle doesn't look very different from yours...I wonder why some people have a huge issue with this while I don't, or at least I haven't so far :huh:

Thanks to Storm.Runner for my avatar and SDS for my sig!
Painted LaceMelody RoseJuniper JoyStarlily

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2013, 01:39:02 PM »
My Glitterbelle doesn't look very different from yours...I wonder why some people have a huge issue with this while I don't, or at least I haven't so far :huh:

Different batches, different storage conditions - there are so many variables its tough to decide whether it is something after manufacture which causes the faster breakdown or something during manufacture which is to blame. When it is happening so often, I would suspect its a manufacture thing and when it is then you could have different batches made at different times with minor variations which is probably why some ponies have problems and some dont.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2013, 03:38:03 PM »
I was just thinking of this the other weekend, I'm setting up my G3s in the new pony room, and found all my Divine Shines are all weird and wet/sticky too :( sad. I've put them in individual baggies to protect, well, everything. I'll try giving them a bath, but if it is the plastic breaking-down, I can see having to do it every so often as more of it breaks down. :( Poor ponies.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »
Hmm, this sounds just like the G2 translucent Hip Holly problems. She did not have glitter but she inevitably would end up sticky or tacky over time as the plasticizer broke down. The only other translucent G2 that comes to mind immediately is Queen Sunsparkle, but I've never heard specifically of any problems with her. (She's glitter-filled like the G3s.) Can any G2 collectors weigh in?
My Queen Sunsparkle came super sticky straight from the box when they had just been released.  I've washed her about 7 times, but there's been very little luck removing the plasticizer.  It was a really common problem with both her and Hip Holly, as well as some of the G2 pony accessories.  I also have a translucent tiara that came on a German Ivy that has almost dissolved to a little sticky pile of goo now.  The talc idea that was suggested earlier sounds like a brilliant idea- I'll try that tomorrow.

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2013, 07:49:15 PM »
I might be totally wrong but just an idea on the glitter disappearance- it might be that the new glitter is a type of shinny plastic (easy to brake down) vs. the metal based glitter in the G1 ponies. I'll have to get a photo of my girl at home on Monday. She is in the middle of losing the glitter in her head. I noticed it today and you can see the tinny flacks of glitter with peaces out of them.

Offline McKinley

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »
This is such a bummer! My Glitterbelle is still fine, but who knows how long that will last. I remember when I bought her brand new and took her out of the box she had a very strong chemical smell. None of the other Divine Shine ponies I ever had smelled like that (I also haven't noticed any of the others having the fading/oozing/glitter loss problems, either). The smell has faded away for the most part over the years, but I wonder if there is some correlation. I seem to remember a number of other collectors reporting the strong smell at the time this pony was new. And didn't G2 Hip Holly have a similar issue? Either way, it's a shame.  :huh:

CarnationTwirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2013, 10:23:58 PM »
Hmm...  I just dug the only Glitter Pony I have out of my G3 bin.  Tangerine Twinkle? The orange one.  She's kind of dull and there's not tons of sparkles (some) but she doesn't seem sticky or weird smelling to me.

Come to think of it, if anyone wants to give her a better home shoot me a PM.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »
I might be totally wrong but just an idea on the glitter disappearance- it might be that the new glitter is a type of shinny plastic (easy to brake down) vs. the metal based glitter in the G1 ponies. I'll have to get a photo of my girl at home on Monday. She is in the middle of losing the glitter in her head. I noticed it today and you can see the tinny flacks of glitter with peaces out of them.

Yes I believe that's exactly the case - its disappearing simply because it is breaking down within the pony itself.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Iceglider

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Mommy, Artist, Roleplayer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/creaturepainter
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2013, 01:43:06 PM »
If anyone ever tries to re-glitterfy theirs let us know how it turns out.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2013, 12:30:46 PM »
Oh no! I'll have to check my girls when I get home from work. How sad; the Divine Shines are one of my favorite G3 sets :(
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal