collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Discussion 13  (Read 37002 times)

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High Discussion 13
« Reply #1305 on: January 25, 2013, 08:03:03 AM »
I went to Walmart looking for Catrine today and got someone to scan the shelf tag. 6 on order. But no idea if that means 6 dolls or 6 cases. Any experts care to comment?

I just wish they could tell me when she is due in :(

I almost bought Skellita today. I don't even really like her. I hate orange. She's wall eyed. She just doesn't do anything for me.

But the longer this line is out and the more people talk about wanting her and not seeing her, the more I am tempted to buy her and hang into her and keep her in box. I want her because of her rarity, not because I actually like her. Not because I am a completionist either. I really don't care if I have every single doll. I only want the ones I like. And now, apparantly, the ones that are rare. I would grab another jinafire to keep in box also because of rarity. Then some day down the line if I wind up needing emergency money, I can sell off the boxed ones. I look at it as a sort of investment, I suppose.

Is this normal?

I'm pretty sure it's 6 dolls.
-Bow Tie

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline Psivampyr

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: January 25, 2013, 08:28:04 AM »
 Then some day down the line if I wind up needing emergency money, I can sell off the boxed ones. I look at it as a sort of investment, I suppose.

My mom did that for me when I was a teen/young adult with Barbies. She would buy me a special Barbie every Christmas and one day when I was like 25 I was like, "Mom, I love the Barbies, but why keep buying them for me?" and her reply was, "They are an investment, you collect them, and one day you might need money, and they could help you". After that I knew what she meant, because I did need money and I sadly sold most of the Barbies, including a porcelain bride Midge. I still have my childhood Barbies, but I would never sell those. I also haven't gotten anymore Barbies from her since I was in my 20s except one that had my name Aine, which I'd never sell because of the circumstances behind her and she's got my name.
I know this isn't MH related, but it is related to the topic. But at the same time, an item is only worth how much someone is willing to pay for it.

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: January 25, 2013, 08:45:04 AM »
At my Walmart last night they had removed the tag for Catrine, and now it just says "MH Fashion Doll" instead of werecat like before.

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: January 25, 2013, 08:50:22 AM »
While it is certainly possible to sell toys for emergency money, like psy mentioned, I personally would not 'invest' in toys, or at least not MH. Maybe something that has been around as long as barbie, or maybe art-toys.. but still... It could always backfire. Lots of old toys aren't even worth retail now.
And an item being highly sought after NOW is no gurantee either.. Remember Pokemon and Digimon? Those used to sell like hot cakes when I was young (..well, younger xD). And when you missed out on something you had to shell out a lot of money for it on ebay. ..most of these items sell for about a dollar now. :7
While I'm not saying MH will share the same fate, it's still possible! So I would be careful using toys as an investment, but maybe that's just me. :)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Monster High Discussion 13
« Reply #1309 on: January 25, 2013, 08:57:03 AM »
Yeah. I know what you mean! I haven't ever really collected anything before, other than baseball cards. (Those are in a box still) so while I realize the risk in buying purely from an investment standpoint, I sort of feel like its my way of trying to rationalize buying something that I don't need or really feel drawn to. Like, why bother buying it, right? Spending for spending's sake I suppose. That's a horrible way to be about money and I try so hard not to do it!

I can proudly say I came home without Skellita!

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #1310 on: January 25, 2013, 09:03:36 AM »
Ya know, I'm still pretty sure all the dolls on my wantlist from that "hoax" list are all the confirmed releases, minus one or two dolls. So I'm still quite excited for 2013!!! 

I will have to see Lemongoona in person.  As much as I love yellow, that pic is not flattering.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: January 25, 2013, 09:14:58 AM »
While it is certainly possible to sell toys for emergency money, like psy mentioned, I personally would not 'invest' in toys, or at least not MH. Maybe something that has been around as long as barbie, or maybe art-toys.. but still... It could always backfire. Lots of old toys aren't even worth retail now.
And an item being highly sought after NOW is no gurantee either.. Remember Pokemon and Digimon? Those used to sell like hot cakes when I was young (..well, younger xD). And when you missed out on something you had to shell out a lot of money for it on ebay. ..most of these items sell for about a dollar now. :7
While I'm not saying MH will share the same fate, it's still possible! So I would be careful using toys as an investment, but maybe that's just me. :)

One word: Diddl XD

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: January 25, 2013, 09:31:43 AM »
I myself mostly collect to collect! (and possibly play with later down the road) practically the only reason I got into MLP/Doll collecting in the first place, something about them makes me feel warm fuzzy and comfort when I see mine all in their boxes. It would calm me down or cheer me up when I'm in a bad mood or upset.

If I ever need money for an emergency and have what is needed, or see what is needed and is on the store shelf, I might have to sell them to make what I need. >,<;

I'm only keeping mine MIB Until I just cave one day and decide to open them all and play with them, and now that I have the School Playset, I'm feeling more tempted!! But I must resist and see how long I can last without opening them. :P

I'm a weird one, I know. visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #1313 on: January 25, 2013, 09:49:28 AM »
Does anyone know what the UPC was for the werecat fearleading set?
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Melissa

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1314 on: January 25, 2013, 10:09:44 AM »
I went to Walmart looking for Catrine today and got someone to scan the shelf tag. 6 on order. But no idea if that means 6 dolls or 6 cases. Any experts care to comment?

I just wish they could tell me when she is due in :(

I almost bought Skellita today. I don't even really like her. I hate orange. She's wall eyed. She just doesn't do anything for me.

But the longer this line is out and the more people talk about wanting her and not seeing her, the more I am tempted to buy her and hang into her and keep her in box. I want her because of her rarity, not because I actually like her. Not because I am a completionist either. I really don't care if I have every single doll. I only want the ones I like. And now, apparantly, the ones that are rare. I would grab another jinafire to keep in box also because of rarity. Then some day down the line if I wind up needing emergency money, I can sell off the boxed ones. I look at it as a sort of investment, I suppose.

Is this normal?
I actually thought Skelita was really freaky-looking when the line came out. I think when I'd only seen pictures, I'd even said on here I couldn't see myself liking her. When I saw her in person, I actually liked her so I got her. So far I haven't really bought any dolls just for "investment" purposes, I will buy a rare doll when I see them, but then turn right around and sell them (for little to no profit, at that)... Although I do have a Scaris Deuce that I've been holding onto for about a week now. I can't decide if I want to keep him or sell him.

Either way, I don't think it's abnormal to have a doll for investment purposes. Scaris Deuce might become that for me, I suppose.

Offline TwilightElphaba

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
    • Adulthood is overrated
« Reply #1315 on: January 25, 2013, 10:31:50 AM »
I collect the dolls to play with them. I'm still a kid at heart and they are much nicer then what I had as a kid so yeah. :blush:

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: January 25, 2013, 10:33:09 AM »
I'm trying so hard to be patient for catrine... It sucks because I know it's going to be hard... I am hoping I can swipe a few (or even all 6) to help other members out.. Went last night and she wasn't out yet... Funny... Also I am having trouble figuring out which dolls to put in the fp... Any ideas?

BTW!! I looked at that auction for toralei and her sisters... And the person who had them was about 2 hours away... Now I have to go check Tru and see... They aren't on the website but that is common...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:37:00 AM by mejohnson85 »

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #1317 on: January 25, 2013, 10:48:52 AM »

BTW!! I looked at that auction for toralei and her sisters... And the person who had them was about 2 hours away... Now I have to go check Tru and see... They aren't on the website but that is common...

LOL i said the same thing when i saw the auction (just like RM Clawdeen, when she first showed up in Antioch)

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: January 25, 2013, 10:49:21 AM »
Does anyone know what the UPC was for the werecat fearleading set?

It's 746775240721.
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #1319 on: January 25, 2013, 10:53:54 AM »
Thanks!!