collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A Childhood Dream Come True! (Newspaper Article - see last post)  (Read 4427 times)

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
Re: A Childhood Dream Come True! (Pic heavy)
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2013, 09:09:40 PM »
Lancer I am so thrilled for you!  I totally understand how frustrating that some folks can not see the value in your loves.  I have seen it when trying to save an old carousel by me years ago and so many old things that today's disposable society sees no use in.

As to your carousel, it might be a better idea to restore and have her go on a pole if her bottom is so bad.

You are a very good writer and I am so glad you posted and shared your story.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2013, 10:01:39 PM »
That's pretty neat.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2013, 06:40:22 AM »
wow, this story is almost unbelievable! it broke my heart in a happy way, the tears just came falling as I read on - what a happy ending! I'm so happy to hear you could finally reunite with your childhood friends! ^^
I wish you the best of luck about the restoration! I hope you will be able to find the perfect helping hand for the job at the fair!

-snip-
 Also, I have to say, but this story could easily be a children's tale :) mostly because it sounds like one, but imagine reading this to a little child and then telling them that, yes, this is all true :lovey:

I'd buy this book in a heartbeat. For me.
me too, count me in! and then I'd make some arrangements with you for a translation and local publishing to let some of the children of my country to enjoy this lovely story too!

I've worked in publishing, and while I certainly think this is a great story, I know that getting published is really hard.  Creating a book can be a big investment of time, work, and money, which probably isn't what you need right now.  Ask kalavista; she's actually an award-winning author and illustrator, and I'll bet she'd tell you that it doesn't pay as much as you think as quickly as you think.

As a simpler way to  share your story and maybe get some funding, try sending the write-up (and photos too) that you posted here to some local newspapers and TV news stations.  I think they'd be really interested in reporting on it, though they'll probably have to present it in a slightly more factual way.  But you've already written this much, so sending it out to potential news agencies won't involve much work.  Maybe a restoration expert will see the report and contact you to help.

You may also be able to get some funding help from readers/viewers who see the story and want to contribute.  But if the report says that donations are welcomed and appreciated, make sure you have an account set up specifically for this beforehand.  Don't wait and set up the account after the report is printed/aired, or your cause will lose momentum.  If people who are touched by your story can't or don't send a donation right away, then they probably won't get around to it later, and you've lost your opportunity.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2013, 02:09:17 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing, that is a totally amazing story! Congrats on getting Silver and Carousel home :lovey:

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 11:14:43 PM »
What a beautiful story! I'm so happy for you (and your wonderful horsies!) and amazed at your dedication. You totally deserved them after all that!  :)

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2013, 05:20:49 AM »
Wow, what an amazing story, Lancer! I am so happy for you that you have been reunited with your long, lost horse friends!! :) :lovey: That is absolutely amazing how you managed to track them down!! :accomplished: Good luck with them in the future!  :happy:

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2013, 03:19:38 AM »
Just bumping this because I found my childhood recording of "Where Has My Carousel Gone?" and uploaded it to Youtube. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQWKxJtninc

(Beware: Ear-piercing tuneless singing contained within that link!)

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2013, 03:31:14 AM »
Oh wow, that's such a lovely, and moving story! It really resonates with the writer in me xD I remember randomly coming across this kind of thing on ebay and wondering who bought them (I figured people who wanted to ride them forever in their own homes) but this...Wow.

Next time I go home I'm going to see if I can find any photos from when I went to Bognor as a child (about 15 years ago now, probably)  to see if I met any of your friends =D
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Lancer

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2013, 03:56:51 AM »
Next time I go home I'm going to see if I can find any photos from when I went to Bognor as a child (about 15 years ago now, probably)  to see if I met any of your friends =D

Well, if you find any photos of rides in Bognor (even ones not pictured in this post), please do share them.  It would mean the world to me!  I haven't found anybody else at all who remembers these, let alone has photographs. :D

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2013, 04:32:52 AM »
Just bumping this because I found my childhood recording of "Where Has My Carousel Gone?" and uploaded it to Youtube. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQWKxJtninc

(Beware: Ear-piercing tuneless singing contained within that link!)

Awl, I enjoyed it.  :)
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline CupidStrikes

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2013, 05:32:38 AM »

Well, if you find any photos of rides in Bognor (even ones not pictured in this post), please do share them.  It would mean the world to me!  I haven't found anybody else at all who remembers these, let alone has photographs. :D

I don't remember a lot about that holiday, but I do know I loved these kinds of rides as a kid, so it's possible there are photos :D I just hope they're not in the loft...
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.

Offline Lancer

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2013, 09:15:12 AM »
I don't remember a lot about that holiday, but I do know I loved these kinds of rides as a kid, so it's possible there are photos :D I just hope they're not in the loft...

Tsk, all old photos seem to end up in the loft! :P  Thankfully, my mum got ours out last year and I scanned them all for her so we have digital copies of everything now.

On a more serious note, if you (or anyone else on this thread) has any old coin operated ride photos you don't mind sharing, I'm desperate for anything.  As I said in my original post, I'm working on a website about the history of these things, and you wouldn't believe how few photos got taken and how precious every picture is for my research.  People don't tend to put a lot of thought into these things or even notice them disappearing at the time, but once they're scrapped, they're scrapped.  And I think it's sad to see such a happy childhood pastime get forgotten and lost forever. :(

Offline CupidStrikes

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2013, 09:50:38 AM »

Tsk, all old photos seem to end up in the loft! :P  Thankfully, my mum got ours out last year and I scanned them all for her so we have digital copies of everything now.

On a more serious note, if you (or anyone else on this thread) has any old coin operated ride photos you don't mind sharing, I'm desperate for anything.  As I said in my original post, I'm working on a website about the history of these things, and you wouldn't believe how few photos got taken and how precious every picture is for my research.  People don't tend to put a lot of thought into these things or even notice them disappearing at the time, but once they're scrapped, they're scrapped.  And I think it's sad to see such a happy childhood pastime get forgotten and lost forever. :(

Sure thing! I do know of two you might like - we have photos of the same ride in an arcade in Blackpool, one taken a few years after the other. It's one that takes a photo as you ride it, so we have ones of both my little sisters in it. Poor thing looked like it needed a lick of paint in the second :( I might not be going home for a few months now (uni) but I'll shoot you a PM if I find anything :)

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2013, 04:57:39 PM »
I'm sure I have one of me on a ride somewhere...possibly Southend as that's where I am from originally. Kiddy pics are all at my Dads, I've been bugging him for ages to let me have a look through the old pics so will get on and nag him to meet me as soon as the weather is better :)

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2013, 05:50:23 PM »
Awww, that story and song are so sweet! I love this ^.^
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal