collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does taking off G1 heads devalue them? *UPDATE*  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
Does taking off G1 heads devalue them? *UPDATE*
« on: January 02, 2013, 07:38:14 PM »
I'm sorry if this is such a silly question, but I needed to ask this before I did anything. I tried finding a topic on this, but I couldn't find one that answered my question. I have some ponies with heads that are completely sealed. Specifically, I have a Whizzer that may have tail rust, but it's hard to tell so I was going to pop her head off to see if she indeed does have tail rust. I don't want to if it devalues her and it indeed turned out she did not have tail rust. Thanks!

I updated with pictures at the bottom of this page.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:55:51 PM by Bow Tie »
-Bow Tie

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Does taking off G1 heads devalue them?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:56:10 PM »
  Yes, but how much it does I don't know. Not too much, I think.  I imagine it devalues a pony a lot less than tail rust would.  In fact, some collectors might prefer turnable heads, because it makes the ponies easier to maintain later.
I'll put something here some time

Offline ShugarGlider

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • NerdyCute
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 12:00:52 AM »
I think it depends on the collector. but, out-of-hand rust and mold devalue it more if it ends up staining the plastic, I think.

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 01:43:52 AM »
personally I love buying ponies with there head pulled off as it saves me having to be head them.. as long as the heads are pulled of cleanly and not hacked off or cut off : )
I pull of the head of all my expensive ponies as I have seen way to many fine looking/ minty ponies with the begins of rusty washers. I have also seen rust cause cancer spot and discolorations in the plastic

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 02:19:34 AM »
I imagen it would depend a bit on how carefully its been taken off...I once got a bait which had its head half way removed and it had created a small rip in the plastic...It was sorta ok because it was a bait in bad condition but I imagen it would not be appreciated on nicer ponies...

One often  do not see the neck ring so a few dents to it is easy to ignore but cuts or rips or even totally cut off neck rings would highly likely devalue it.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 06:55:52 AM »
Yes, breaking the glue seal devalues- but it devalues less then a pony dirty with mold and rust. I pretty much have everything in my collection in original condition, I like sealed heads, original hair and paint the works. But if I know that there is rust or mold inside a pony, I WILL break the glue seal remove her head and clean her out. Sometime the signs are pretty subtle, I've found holding a pony up to strong light shows hidden internal dirt well (mold or rust) and gently pullling at the base of the tail and looking through the base for rust catches that problem. I just replace the head after and do not reglue it (so the pony has no replaced components).  I don't use blades to get off heads. Elbow grease and warming the pony- that's it.

I've received a few someone beheaded with a blade sloppily, These ponies had cut up neckseams and looked terrible- imo then they become significantly devalued. in that case I would have rather had a rusty or moldy pony with a sealed head.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 07:05:45 AM »
I personally break them open simply because if there is a problem on the inside, I want to catch it early.

The only exception I've made was for my Munchy. She's my absolute favorite for one, but she's pretty minty too. The seller said she was played with briefly and then put away. I don't really think I have much to worry about with her, plus she's kind of expensive so I let her slide.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 08:03:25 AM »
I consider it a very minor devaluation, considering what kinds of grossness can live inside ponies and be staining them from the inside out. I'd rather have the head detachable so I can check it out and make sure there isn't any mildew or mold inside. 

I have also come a LONG way in my journey of learning how to decapitate them.  :D  I used to cut or use sharp objects.  Now I'm just a fan of near-boiling water and patience. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:09:43 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Dusky

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Firebird Designs
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 10:55:38 AM »
As a rule I head-pop everything that comes through my door unless it's already mint (like, it was never played with) or it's significantly rare that I don't want to mess it up. I'd far rather have a clean pony inside and out - especially as I sell off the spares I get when I buy in lots - and know that the 30yr old toy is clean and safe to be played with by a small child if needs be, than have something with mould/rust spots.

It might devalue them if the head-pop is a bad job, I have enough practice to be able to do it without cutting the glue, but if a pony's head won't give at all then I leave it and mention this in their listing.

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 11:27:57 AM »
personally I love buying ponies with there head pulled off as it saves me having to be head them.. as long as the heads are pulled of cleanly and not hacked off or cut off : )
I pull of the head of all my expensive ponies as I have seen way to many fine looking/ minty ponies with the begins of rusty washers. I have also seen rust cause cancer spot and discolorations in the plastic

totaly agree, some ponies and expensive ones really need cleaning big time inside and out :)

she could not be cleaned without pulling her head of and she more is valuable now

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »
I am with FF on this one. I do not take the head off every pony which comes through my door and I 100% prefer a pony to have her head sealed with factory glue.

However, that being said, yes, if there is something going on inside, then head off and cleaned out. But that would be a pony I would look to upgrade eventually.

These are technically vintage toys/collectables - a collectable is more valuable 1) the more mint condition it is in and 2) the more original it is. Therefore, yes removing a head devalues automatically as the pony is no longer in its original condition.

That being said for many collectors a loose head is not that much of a concern so you may find people willing to pay the same price for a pony which has had her head removed and one which hasnt. In addition, how successfully it was removed and restored and the level of damage caused by the decapitation [wow that sounds weird in context] will also affect how much it influences, if it does, the end price.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Bow Tie

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 08:21:14 PM »
I want to thank everyone for their replies. I sincerely appreciate it. I wouldn't pop off a head unless it's already been taken off or possible mold. And it turns out I was correct. My boyfriend just finished taking off her head and there is lots of icky mold in her head and body. I didn't realize how bad it was or that it could get that bad since her head was almost completely sealed. I saw a very faint brown spot on her tail where it goes into the pony so I was curious. She looked just fine except for that little browning on her tail. I am definitely going to clean her up and look to replace her. What's the best way to clean out mold? Here are some pictures:

You can even see it from the outside with a flash light! :cry:

Whizzer really needs a cleaning and I want to get rid off all this ickyness. :cry:
-Bow Tie

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Does taking off G1 heads devalue them? *UPDATE*
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 09:15:55 PM »
Since you don't want to mess up the coating on her eyes, don't use OxyClean!  Or bleach.

Dish soap and hot water with a good scrub brush should do the trick.  :)  Toothpaste removes rust stains in the hair especially but also works on the body.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Bow Tie

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 09:24:07 PM »
Since you don't want to mess up the coating on her eyes, don't use OxyClean!  Or bleach.

Dish soap and hot water with a good scrub brush should do the trick.  :)  Toothpaste removes rust stains in the hair especially but also works on the body.

Thanks! I turned on the sink and let the water just wash out some of the mold and boy, was there a lot that just came out. I took out the tail because the washer is just completely rusted. There is a lot of mold in her legs, some in her wings and her ears. What's the best way to get those cleaned out?
-Bow Tie

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 09:55:41 PM »
Use a toothbrush and those long qtips to get down into all the nooks inside her.  This is why I generally pop off all G1 heads that come my way.  I've had a lot of ponies that look great on the outside, but where full of rust and gunk on the inside. 
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal