collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MH and obsessed kids/parents.  (Read 1469 times)

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
MH and obsessed kids/parents.
« on: December 27, 2012, 04:27:40 PM »
Okay so I've got this FB page liked, and they're saying 'POST ALL YOUR PICTURES OF YOUR PRESENTS!'

....And they've got pictures of girls 10 years or younger- With a MOUNTAIN of dolls, here is a link to the page:

https://www.facebook.com/themonsterhighdolls (Am I allowed to link FB pages? D:)

Literally, some of them have 20 dolls or over... Isn't that excessive for a child at christmas? I'd understand maybe 5- dolls, but anything over that? At least throw some panties or socks in there for them!

Why not have them hidden somewhere, and just dole them out over a period of time? I also getting the feeling... The parent doing the photo's might be in it for themselves as well, 'Oh they're for my kid- but secretly they're for me too!' kind of thing happening.

I dunno, it's so crazy! I feel they're kind of being spoiled, like, there's regular spoiled... And there's spoiled like crazy spoiled if that makes sense xDD! I remember seeing someone say that there werent' dolls on the shelves and what not- Maybe it was these parents going out and snatching them up for their daughters and neices!

Thoughts? Or is being childless impacting my point of view?

(p.s- no problem with the page, just really gobsmacked!)

jennovazombie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: MH and obsessed kids/parents.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 04:34:12 PM »
Holy cow, that's a ton of dolls! I think I had maybe 20-25 barbies TOTAL over my entire childhood. I'd get one or two a year, and my oldest/most trashed doll would get thrown out usually as well. The most I've ever seen a person get at once is 7, and that was for my younger cousin's 8th birthday when all of us other cousins bought her a barbie. XD
I wonder if those girls are even allowed to play with the dolls?  :shocked: Like...do the parents have them keep them in the boxes up on a shelf? Seems kind of unfair to get a young girl a doll she can't play with, but I always played with my toys and wore them out. Hmm...

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 04:41:53 PM »
That is way too many. Growing up I was one of those spoiled kids that my mother would literally go into debt each year for Christmas. We didn't make her or even always ask for that much. She just really really wanted to get us everything and went overboard. As adults she still does it some, but we don't ask for anything anymore really. I might have told her two things I wanted and after that it was just her buying a lot more.

I know I feel guilty now being an adult and her buyin so much. I appreciate it since lots of times she buys us things we would not spend money on. I don't want her to be in debt either. I dunno even growing up spoiled with gifts I agree it shouldn't be done. Them it builds up high expectations and children are left in unhappy if they get less. Of course everyone is always free to do as they wish, an I would never tell someone the correct way to parent their child. I just know when we finally have our own the kids will not be spoiled to death like I was as a child.

Another note which could be possible who knows. When I was a kid birthdays and Christmas were big deals, but we never got many toys in between. They had to last like a year before we got new ones, so we tended to get a lot at once. Dunno if other parents do that.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 04:46:21 PM »
It's their Christmas. For all we know, those kids make straight A's, volunteer, and don't really receive anything new the rest of the year. o: Just something to think about!

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 04:48:52 PM »
WOW. That is ... a lot of dolls.

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 05:05:21 PM »
It's their Christmas. For all we know, those kids make straight A's, volunteer, and don't really receive anything new the rest of the year. o: Just something to think about!

I know, but still! I think 10 is possibly still to young to volunteer, it's more about a) the amount of dolls and b) parents living through their chind kinda thing!  But still, I think 20 is just, askldjflksjd crazzeeeeeee xD But you're right, it is their christmas, I wonder what birthdays are like!

Post Merge: December 27, 2012, 05:10:25 PM

That is way too many. Growing up I was one of those spoiled kids that my mother would literally go into debt each year for Christmas. We didn't make her or even always ask for that much. She just really really wanted to get us everything and went overboard. As adults she still does it some, but we don't ask for anything anymore really. I might have told her two things I wanted and after that it was just her buying a lot more.

I know I feel guilty now being an adult and her buyin so much. I appreciate it since lots of times she buys us things we would not spend money on. I don't want her to be in debt either. I dunno even growing up spoiled with gifts I agree it shouldn't be done. Them it builds up high expectations and children are left in unhappy if they get less. Of course everyone is always free to do as they wish, an I would never tell someone the correct way to parent their child. I just know when we finally have our own the kids will not be spoiled to death like I was as a child.

Another note which could be possible who knows. When I was a kid birthdays and Christmas were big deals, but we never got many toys in between. They had to last like a year before we got new ones, so we tended to get a lot at once. Dunno if other parents do that.

Well yes, I wouldn't ask them to change anything it just.. shocked me! I had a twin and we had to share EVERYTHING, and people were all 'lol let us not buy them seperate gifts, we'll just buy it and tell them to learn to share' haha, most things ended up belonging to my twin since she was handed things first. Gosh we even shared clothes and things, I REALLY don't think my parents wanted twins, they expected my sister.. But not me lol!

I also thought that maybe through out the year the kids probably didn't get much, I know I had things shoved away on lay-by and came home at christmas with quite a few things myself haha!

Post Merge: December 27, 2012, 05:13:12 PM

WOW. That is ... a lot of dolls.

u jelly xDD? Myabe their parents are loaded, it also seems to be a bit of a contest, who has more and which kid looks happier!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:13:12 PM by bagheera86 »

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 05:38:51 PM »
I don't have a problem with this. Any of those kids could have been mine :D

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 05:40:39 PM »
To each family their own I suppose. I personally think some of it is a little overboard. I think it stems from how I grew up. For Christmas myself and my brother had $100-150 each spent on us for Christmas, we never got all toys. Most of the stuff we got was clothing or other things aside from toys so that's what I'm used to when it comes to Christmas. Call me mean but I will never buy my children all toys for birthdays or Christmas, I don't find it practical or realistic. My kids are used to getting things like clothing, blankets things they need for Christmas or their birthdays so when they get them they seem more excited about them since they don't expect just toys. Now, before this all gets taken the wrong way, this is just how my children are and how I raise them. I don't call anyone a bad parent or judge them for how they decide to give presents.
So, back to the original subject, that's a whole lot of frickin' dolls! What lucky girls!
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »
To each family their own I suppose. I personally think some of it is a little overboard. I think it stems from how I grew up. For Christmas myself and my brother had $100-150 each spent on us for Christmas, we never got all toys. Most of the stuff we got was clothing or other things aside from toys so that's what I'm used to when it comes to Christmas. Call me mean but I will never buy my children all toys for birthdays or Christmas, I don't find it practical or realistic. My kids are used to getting things like clothing, blankets things they need for Christmas or their birthdays so when they get them they seem more excited about them since they don't expect just toys. Now, before this all gets taken the wrong way, this is just how my children are and how I raise them. I don't call anyone a bad parent or judge them for how they decide to give presents.
So, back to the original subject, that's a whole lot of frickin' dolls! What lucky girls!
I'm the opposite XD If my daughter needs new clothes or blankets or socks, I just get them for her. Kids are rarely excited about that kind of stuff, so I'd rather save the fun presents for holidays. Everyone is different though, and I think practical and realistic are good things!

edit: Of course, she is only 2... Maybe she'll be more excited about clothes when she's older......

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 05:46:59 PM »

This^ I'm not meaning to start drama just, had NO idea that these things happened. I had the naive view that these things only happened to snobby or wealthy families xD I'm still all feeling conflicted about this haha!

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 05:51:06 PM »

I remember seeing someone say that there werent' dolls on the shelves and what not- Maybe it was these parents going out and snatching them up for their daughters and neices!

...isn't that the point? Are the dolls not for kids?

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 05:59:02 PM »

I remember seeing someone say that there werent' dolls on the shelves and what not- Maybe it was these parents going out and snatching them up for their daughters and neices!

OH! Someone was suspecting it was scalpers, that's what I meant sorry xD!

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 06:46:21 PM »
lol that's EXACTLY how it was for me and my sisters growing up, never got toys as a present growing up, mostly clothes and/or practical things we NEEDED, not what we WANTED. Just thinking of the thought of wanting to ask for a toy for Christmas or Birthday was practically a dead giveaway that we weren't gonna get it :P Heck, for our Birthdays and Christmas, our parents got us clothes JUST To have something to give to us for a present!! XD Not that they were lazy or anything, I guess as we were kids growing up, our parents just didn't want us to expect to get toys all the time for every special holiday, and I'm actually kinda glad that they did. :P

Back to subject...

My goodness, 20+ dolls?! 5 is enough for a happy child, 15 is a bit tiny overboard, anything over the 20 doll count and that child is gonna have a Monster High Overdose and be in a Dolly Coma until summer. XD

Just a silly thought, but who knows, for all we know, they and/or their parents could've been MiB Collectors, and just decided to round up all their MiB Dolls and pass them off as presents, I know I'd do that!! :P Grab one of my little cousins or nieces and have them sitting near my collection for a picture and pretend that they gotten all those for Christmas and post it in a Christmas contest. XD

OH! Someone was suspecting it was scalpers, that's what I meant sorry xD!
lol Brain fart...:P I was thinking the same thing: "Wait, what?? Parent's going out and snatching up toys for their daughters and nieces??......Isn't that the point?! These dolls were solely made FOR kids?! XD"
My Flickr Page
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 06:55:21 PM »
its possible that the pile of dolls was from multiple gifters. I know we got my step daughter 5 dolls for her birthday, and my mom got her some, and her mom, and her grandma. they can add up.

in our case we have a set amount of what to spend. if the kids only want MH dolls, however many dolls add up to our set amount is how many they get *shrug*

My mother spent almost $200 on my 1 year old (which to me is a lot of toys, but I am not about to complain - lol just means the baby is happy playing with the packaging ;)  )...and the same amount on all her other grandkids.

everyone has a different situation :)

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 07:00:01 PM »
everyone has a different situation :)
Mhm! *nods* There's always a whole lot of factors to throw into each situation as to why it happened. :P
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal