collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MH and obsessed kids/parents.  (Read 1567 times)

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
Re: MH and obsessed kids/parents.
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 07:04:03 PM »
To each family their own I suppose. I personally think some of it is a little overboard. I think it stems from how I grew up. For Christmas myself and my brother had $100-150 each spent on us for Christmas, we never got all toys. Most of the stuff we got was clothing or other things aside from toys so that's what I'm used to when it comes to Christmas. Call me mean but I will never buy my children all toys for birthdays or Christmas, I don't find it practical or realistic. My kids are used to getting things like clothing, blankets things they need for Christmas or their birthdays so when they get them they seem more excited about them since they don't expect just toys. Now, before this all gets taken the wrong way, this is just how my children are and how I raise them. I don't call anyone a bad parent or judge them for how they decide to give presents.
So, back to the original subject, that's a whole lot of frickin' dolls! What lucky girls!
I'm the opposite XD If my daughter needs new clothes or blankets or socks, I just get them for her. Kids are rarely excited about that kind of stuff, so I'd rather save the fun presents for holidays. Everyone is different though, and I think practical and realistic are good things!

edit: Of course, she is only 2... Maybe she'll be more excited about clothes when she's older......

My daughter is 2 1/2, she got a Hello Kitty shirt from her grandparents for Christmas and wanted to wear right away so every child is definately different :lol: And when I say I buy practical things like clothing for my children for their birthdays and Christmas that isn't the only time we buy them clothing. We do go and buy things for our children when they need them and don't wait until a special day. It is nice however to ask for family to buy clothing rather then toys since our kids are so young and grow so fast.

And just on a side topic of presents, for this Christmas my husband and I personally did not buy any clothing. We bought my one daughter 3 dolls and my other a toy guitar. And for Christmas they really didn't get much for clothing dispite us saying we can always use clothes for them. We usually avoid buying toys for the girls since other relatives tend to buy them instead. My daughter had a great MH Christmas, she got 8 dolls for Christmas.

LuvlyMelody, I like what you said about how you were given clothing and such and your parents wanted you to learn not to expect toys for presents all of the time, I appreciate that thinking, that's kind of how my parents approached presents too.
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 07:14:09 PM »
its possible that the pile of dolls was from multiple gifters. I know we got my step daughter 5 dolls for her birthday, and my mom got her some, and her mom, and her grandma. they can add up.

in our case we have a set amount of what to spend. if the kids only want MH dolls, however many dolls add up to our set amount is how many they get *shrug*

My mother spent almost $200 on my 1 year old (which to me is a lot of toys, but I am not about to complain - lol just means the baby is happy playing with the packaging ;)  )...and the same amount on all her other grandkids.

everyone has a different situation :)

Ah, I didn't think of this! It was the big pyramid of toys that had be make this post xD! This is the one that had me in a spin! Unless this is just a collection, but it was posted for the christmas thing so... That's why I was all 'AHHHH!" My brain just couldn't handle it!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151335052395155&set=o.215479355152080&type=1&relevant_count=1
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 07:15:40 PM by bagheera86 »

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 07:15:31 PM »
That photo looks like someone had a lot of catching up to do.

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 07:18:11 PM »
Christmas is such a special time for kids.  No two years are the same.  I don't know about anyone else, but there are only 1 or 2 Christmas years that really stand out in my mind as "omg WOW" years.  I think every kid deserves that, every Christmas or just a few.  Eventually you grow up and the magic is replaced by bills and responsibility.  All the kids grow up and live in the real world eventually, I won't begrudge any child a Christmas "WOW" no matter what the circumstances :)

Post Merge: December 27, 2012, 07:19:31 PM

And oh WOW!  That is amazing!  Someone worked really hard to be able to do that for their kiddo!  Anything else is just speculation.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 07:25:58 PM »
Wow. Definitely not normal in my family, even at huge family gatherings. We were LESS likely to get numerous gifts at big family gatherings. And after my parents divorced, we were lucky to have one gift to open, let alone a Christmas tree.

As a result, we grew up feeling pretty grateful for every gift we DID receive. There was no feeling of "oh, I'll get more later". We knew that the next gift was never certain and so we took good care of what we had and loved it.

I would have loved to be that child with 20 dolls for Christmas, but I have to wonder how it would have affected me as a child. I think I would have become ungrateful and I wouldn't have appreciated the value of the toy any more. So in a way, I'm glad I was never spoiled.

I do remember one birthday party though, in the first grade, when my parents hosted a party for my entire class. I got a ton of presents then and OMG the joy I felt! But after a time that memory faded. It just wasn't very important and I had to struggle to dig it up just now. I can understand a parent wanting to give their kids memories like that to last through the years. I just can't see them as important or something that would be healthy to do on a routine basis, you know?

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 07:32:48 PM »
Maybe the kid was extra good this year so Santa decided that she deserved a bit extra.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 07:53:14 PM »
holy crap! thats alot of dolls those kiddoes have and all at once wow..

they are some lucky kids :)
 when i was little i was lucky to get anything for the holidays as we didn't have much.. ( proabably why i am toy obsessed today LOL) i think i only had like 4 or 5 barbies (one ken) total  my whole childhood.

i don't see anything wrong with kids getting a bunch of dolls so long as the APPRICATE them  , take care of them , and realize dolls don't grow on treees  ( wish they did!)  ,  but i do think  that many is a bit excessive.. i don't think if i had kids, i would be buying them tons of dolls for the holidays,  even though i am a collector.. you have to have something to look forward to  after all.

MyLittleLambie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 08:15:02 PM »
Am I one of the few who don't think there is a problem with it??  As long as the parents aren't breaking the bank to do it, I think it's OK!!  Besides, they might have gotten 1 doll from each of 20 different relatives!!

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 08:19:51 PM »
holy crap! thats alot of dolls those kiddoes have and all at once wow..

they are some lucky kids :)
 when i was little i was lucky to get anything for the holidays as we didn't have much.. ( proabably why i am toy obsessed today LOL) i think i only had like 4 or 5 barbies (one ken) total  my whole childhood.

i don't see anything wrong with kids getting a bunch of dolls so long as the APPRICATE them  , take care of them , and realize dolls don't grow on treees  ( wish they did!)  ,  but i do think  that many is a bit excessive.. i don't think if i had kids, i would be buying them tons of dolls for the holidays,  even though i am a collector.. you have to have something to look forward to  after all.

Nothing wrong at all, I was just minded boggled as I've said earlier, no idea that kids actually did get so many things! Just, WOW christmas indeed XD!

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 08:27:29 PM »
Christmas is such a special time for kids.  No two years are the same.  I don't know about anyone else, but there are only 1 or 2 Christmas years that really stand out in my mind as "omg WOW" years.  I think every kid deserves that, every Christmas or just a few.  Eventually you grow up and the magic is replaced by bills and responsibility.  All the kids grow up and live in the real world eventually, I won't begrudge any child a Christmas "WOW" no matter what the circumstances :)

Yes.  My two "WOW" Christmases growing up was  getting Paradise Estate and the other about 4 years later and receiving my big art easel.  But I am an artist by profession, so that gift rocked!  (And I actually still have it some 20 years later).

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 08:43:08 PM »
Oh Ashes, that must have been amazing to get PE as a kid!!  It's like...the biggest, coolest playset ever!  They don't make em like that anymore.

One of my "wow" Christmases was receiving the gigantic Barbie Dream house hand delivered by Santa to my house!  I had a "wow" birthday, not sure if it counts.  When I turned 16 my hard working single dad somehow bought me a real horse!  I about died on the spot.  He is still my hero.

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 08:46:20 PM »
awww what an awesome Dad :heart:

I so remember my "WOW" Christmas....I got a Brush-A-Love, a Fashion Star Filly and a bike with no training wheels :D

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 08:58:58 PM »
My "wow" Christmas was in 1999.  My sister and I had been begging for a puppy for years and my parents finally decided we were old enough and responsible enough.  So we got Abbey, who just celebrated her 13th Christmas with us.  She's an old lady now, but still the best present ever.

:lovey:

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline astroasis

• Fancy Pants Baby
  • Rabid Toy Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »
I could see myself having a haul like that when I was a kid. My friends were always jealous of my toy haul when I was little. My parents never believed in getting us "essentials" like clothes and underwear for Christmas, so we got toys, toys, and more toys... Definitely made for a lot of VERY merry Christmases and wonderful memories that I still hold dear :)

Granted, my mom was totally all about having a variety of different kinds of toys, so I don't think I would've ever gotten so much of one KIND of toy the way these kids did, but I don't think the piles of gifts on this page are outlandish at all.
I primarily collect G1/G3 Ponies, Littlest Pet Shop, Monster High dolls and Mini Lalaloopsies. I also collect vinyl figures, dolls and 80's toys in general.

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2012, 09:22:02 PM »
Oh Ashes, that must have been amazing to get PE as a kid!!  It's like...the biggest, coolest playset ever!  They don't make em like that anymore.

One of my "wow" Christmases was receiving the gigantic Barbie Dream house hand delivered by Santa to my house!  I had a "wow" birthday, not sure if it counts.  When I turned 16 my hard working single dad somehow bought me a real horse!  I about died on the spot.  He is still my hero.

Yes, I was one surprised and happy child!  I know I got a few other gifts that Christmas, but I don't remember them, lol!  PE took the cake.  And it was all set up to boot - I can only imagine my parents putting all those little pieces together and putting the decals in the right places.

The Barbie Dream House is pretty mega too!  One of my neighborhood friends had it - so at her house we would play Barbies, and at my house we would play ponies.  And a real horse for a birthday!  That's pretty awesome as well.  :)

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal