collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toxic Chemicals in Our Ponies?  (Read 8059 times)

kmlv23

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Toxic Chemicals in Our Ponies?
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2012, 10:09:47 AM »
it just seems like a really strange and microscopic part of a bigger problem ... like the Titanic is sinking, but the maiter d is only concerned because he can't keep the glasses on the table kind of thing ... i'm not "shrugging it off" i just know there are much bigger fish to fry when it comes to this ... that's what i'm concerned with, that people are freaking out over a very microscopic part of a much bigger problem ... like treating a symptom instead of the disease ...
Could not have put it better myself.

Betelgeuse

« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2012, 11:17:47 AM »
As long as you and your kids don't chew on the ponies or hold them to your nose and sniff for long periods of time, you should be alright.

Tonight's top story: Children's new high is huffing toy ponies.
You'd be surprised. xD Some kids just like smelling things just because. I bet someone out there actually does smell their ponies.

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2012, 11:33:33 AM »
  I love to smell my ponies! But only if they still smell rubbery and fresh like my childhood ones did. Most of them don't smell that good anymore. :( I also love to smell my pokémon toys Just love the new plastic smell!) and any book before I read it. (Mmm, ink!) I'm not worried, though. I think it would take hours and hours and hours to get bad affects from smelling a pony or a book, and smells are really only good for whiffing.
  Now that I think about it, there are ponies designed to be smelled!

I hope Hasbro gives a good response, but I kind of doubt they will. It would be neat if they could describe the plastic-making process and what sort of qualities a plastic toy must have or not have in order to pass inspection. But I'm kind of expecting it'll be something like "All our toys pass inspection (insert numbers and technical gobbledygook) and are deemed safe for childrens' use by our government standards. Please buy more of our products!"
I'll put something here some time

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2012, 11:52:54 AM »
I think this is this kind of topic where people become a bit polarised and the discussion is reduced to a series of contradictory anecdotes, opinions and sometimes name-calling. It becomes almost impossible to form an informed opinion.  :huh:

In the end, if you are concerned about the effects of certain chemicals in your surroundings, you need to get the facts and make up your own mind about what steps you want to take.

You can search the internet for original research papers  (e.g. "Thyroid Disrupting Chemicals in Plastic Additives and Thyroid Health" in the Journal of Environmental Science and Health). These provide the most unbiased information you will find on the web. Although, sometimes you cannot access them unless you’re registered (but if anyone finds a paper they want to read, I may be able to get hold of it for you.  :))

Also, try to stick to official websites (e.g. http://www.ecetoc.org/index.php or http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search ) where they link to official reports and original research. Another option is books - I have a toxicology textbook at home from when I studied it, I’m happy to look up certain chemicals too.

You also have to remember that there is a limited number of tests each new chemical introduced to the market must undergo, and chemicals already existing before 1981 less so – and there’s 100 000 of them!  :blink:

This has improved (somewhat), in the EU at least, since the introduction of REACH, since which 14 substances have been banned and at least 73 have been identified as potentially hazardous (currently being investigated further). And around 3000 new chemicals are currently being registered under REACH (http://echa.europa.eu/reach-2013 ).

A lot of these ‘green’ organisations’ concerns are regarding the very long term impacts of these chemicals, many of which have been introduced within our generation. It is impossible to say what long term effects each of these (thousands of) chemicals will have on us, we simply haven’t had enough time to find out!

But those concerns are based on emerging evidence from more long term scientific studies. I appreciate that media like to hype,  ‘hippies’ like to condemn all chemicals and ‘cynics’ like to scorn all concerns. This is why I say, find out for yourself and then do what you think is right. 

For example, if we know mercury has negative effects on a growing fetus (http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp.asp?id=115&tid=24),  we can avoid cosmetics containing mercury! Or depending on how much it concerns you, campaign for mercury-containing cosmetics to be banned (e.g. if it isn’t already) or try to reduce the amount of coal being used (mercury is one of the by-products released when coal is burned).

So you can’t avoid all contact with toxins, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t bother at all. Every bit helps. Someone used a titanic metaphor... I think of it more as, just because the whole ship’s sinking doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to get the lifeboat going!  >_<

Find out the facts, decide what matters to you and work on it.   ;)
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

BerryPunch

« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2012, 11:57:42 AM »
Someone used a titanic metaphor... I think of it more as, just because the whole ship’s sinking doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to get the lifeboat going!  >_<
LOL I love this

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2012, 12:05:25 PM »
I think the big thing is, with *anything* regarding an Internet source, make sure to research and find other sources/opinions before you take anything at face value.

Vinyl is everywhere, and hard to avoid; gloves, many cars have vinyl seats, most baby toys are vinyl.  The chemicals we are exposed to everyday are usually in amounts small enough that they cause no traceable harm, too.  One way sites scare people is cancer studies involving amounts that are unrealistic to consume.  That's not to say that *all* studies are unrealistic, but some are.

Like I said, do your homework before you get too worked up. :)
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline mayanbutterfly

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+146)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Mayanbutterfly's Custom My Little Ponies and More!
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2012, 01:06:54 PM »
I think this is this kind of topic where people become a bit polarised and the discussion is reduced to a series of contradictory anecdotes, opinions and sometimes name-calling. It becomes almost impossible to form an informed opinion.  :huh:

In the end, if you are concerned about the effects of certain chemicals in your surroundings, you need to get the facts and make up your own mind about what steps you want to take.

You can search the internet for original research papers  (e.g. "Thyroid Disrupting Chemicals in Plastic Additives and Thyroid Health" in the Journal of Environmental Science and Health). These provide the most unbiased information you will find on the web. Although, sometimes you cannot access them unless you’re registered (but if anyone finds a paper they want to read, I may be able to get hold of it for you.  :))

Also, try to stick to official websites (e.g. http://www.ecetoc.org/index.php or http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search ) where they link to official reports and original research. Another option is books - I have a toxicology textbook at home from when I studied it, I’m happy to look up certain chemicals too.

You also have to remember that there is a limited number of tests each new chemical introduced to the market must undergo, and chemicals already existing before 1981 less so – and there’s 100 000 of them!  :blink:

This has improved (somewhat), in the EU at least, since the introduction of REACH, since which 14 substances have been banned and at least 73 have been identified as potentially hazardous (currently being investigated further). And around 3000 new chemicals are currently being registered under REACH (http://echa.europa.eu/reach-2013 ).

A lot of these ‘green’ organisations’ concerns are regarding the very long term impacts of these chemicals, many of which have been introduced within our generation. It is impossible to say what long term effects each of these (thousands of) chemicals will have on us, we simply haven’t had enough time to find out!

But those concerns are based on emerging evidence from more long term scientific studies. I appreciate that media like to hype,  ‘hippies’ like to condemn all chemicals and ‘cynics’ like to scorn all concerns. This is why I say, find out for yourself and then do what you think is right. 

For example, if we know mercury has negative effects on a growing fetus (http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp.asp?id=115&tid=24),  we can avoid cosmetics containing mercury! Or depending on how much it concerns you, campaign for mercury-containing cosmetics to be banned (e.g. if it isn’t already) or try to reduce the amount of coal being used (mercury is one of the by-products released when coal is burned).

So you can’t avoid all contact with toxins, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t bother at all. Every bit helps. Someone used a titanic metaphor... I think of it more as, just because the whole ship’s sinking doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to get the lifeboat going!  >_<

Find out the facts, decide what matters to you and work on it.   ;)

Thanks for your advice here.  I agree with other people that the healthystuff website is frustrating because it doesn't really say if these levels are dangerous or what their ratings really mean. 

Whippycorn, I'm interested in knowing what your book says about Chlorine, Bromine, Phthalates, and PVC in general if it has that in it.  I'm also wondering about acrylic and polyester...

Thanks!

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2012, 01:19:13 PM »
As long as you and your kids don't chew on the ponies or hold them to your nose and sniff for long periods of time, you should be alright.

You'd be surprised. xD Some kids just like smelling things just because. I bet someone out there actually does smell their ponies.

I like weird smells. Every time I use a permanent marker, I smell it when I open it and again right before I put the cap back on it. Sometimes I'll open them just to sniff them and then put them back. I can also often be found smelling a book that I'm actually supposed to be reading. I'l be reading and then BAM. My nose is in the crease so each nostril can vacuum up the scent of the pages. I'm sure there are people out there who loves the way MLP toys smell.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2012, 01:55:53 PM »
I'm gonna second what Whippycorn said because it was sensible as heck.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2012, 03:18:23 PM »

I like weird smells. Every time I use a permanent marker, I smell it when I open it and again right before I put the cap back on it. Sometimes I'll open them just to sniff them and then put them back. I can also often be found smelling a book that I'm actually supposed to be reading. I'l be reading and then BAM. My nose is in the crease so each nostril can vacuum up the scent of the pages. I'm sure there are people out there who loves the way MLP toys smell.

I do the same thing with new books. I just love the smell!

And I'm also a shameless MLP sniffer :P I've caught myself many times lately after buying new G4's and opening, sniffing them and going "ah, nothing beats new pony smell".
But I figured 'hey, some people like new car smell, I like new MLP smell' :P
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2012, 06:54:06 AM »
It is your decision as the mother to decide what is right for your child. In the end that is all that really matters.

So here is other food for thought though on other hazards that i consider more concerning...
Flouide is in the water supply. There are many dentists who are against this as it causes dental flurosis, look up Dr. Russle Blaylock. Also, (you can read this on your toothpaste label) you should contact your poison control center if you swallow more toothpaste than what is necessary to brush your teeth...which is a pea sized amount. One 8 ounce glass of water has the equivilant amount of flouride as that pea sized toothpaste...

Most vaccines contain a substance, thimerosol, as a preservatives. Thimerosol is Mercury, and is present in all childhood vaccines.

Aspartame is a waste byproduct of ecoli, (the bacteria that lives in your colon and is found in stool)

They spray aerosal aluminum and barium in the air. Its called cloud seeding or chemtrailing. Ask Bill Nye the science guy about it!
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2012, 07:45:32 AM »
Ponies only become toxic once you own 1,999 and since I only have a wall of about 1,000-1,100 I am perfectly safe. Once I reach 1,999 I will get a hazmat suit.

Muwhahaha!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:49:07 AM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2012, 08:13:57 AM »
Did you know breathing oxygen literally rusts us from the inside out and that is why we're not immortal?
But really. I don't think it's that big of a deal. I bet the poisons are in such a small trace it's nothing. 

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2012, 09:56:25 AM »
Reading this thread make me think of the Spongebob episode where he's afraid to leave his house because he might hurt his butt...

Going along with that, we can't all live like Spongebob and live in fear!
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2012, 02:10:47 PM »
Reading this thread make me think of the Spongebob episode where he's afraid to leave his house because he might hurt his butt...

Going along with that, we can't all live like Spongebob and live in fear!

LOL I love that episode!  And his "friends" Penny, Chip, and Used Napkin!  *starts singing the "Indoors" song*

Anyway...carry on.  *back out of thread*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal