collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: If They Were Fakies, Would You Still Collect Them?  (Read 1141 times)

Offline PurpleCheeseStick

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Woweeeeeee
    • View Profile
If They Were Fakies, Would You Still Collect Them?
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:21:25 AM »
Lots of us have favorite generations, especially if they were a huge part of our childhood, but I thought of something: what if they weren't another MLP generation, and just another line of fakies? Would you still collect them?

For example, my favorte generation is G2. When I first saw them I seriously thought they were fakies, but.... I liked them anyways. I still have my first two, Berry Bright and Petal Blossom. So since they're so cute, even if they were fakies, I'm sure I would still pounce on one if I discovered it in a thrift store.
:happy: :rainbow: G2 Maniac! :rainbow: :enthralled:

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: If They Were Fakies, Would You Still Collect Them?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:24:28 AM »
I think I can safely say that I wouldn't collect G2s if they were fakies :P But then again, I hardly collect them anyway, I jusat keep my childhood ones and some really pretty ones.

I think I would still collect G3s though :) I just really love them.
I don't collect G4 and G3.5 anyway ^^
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 07:44:32 AM »
It wouldn't matter to me if my ponies were fakies as long as I like the look of them. I don't collect my gens of choice because they're official Hasbro MLPs or anything like that, but because they're cute and make me smile.  ^.^ Then gens I'm not so fond of, I just don't collect, and if they were fakies I still wouldn't collect them because they don't appeal to me.

...that is, if they were fakies of decent quality. If they were made out of dollar-store grade plastic(?) with hair plugs that fall out after every combing, I might reconsider...

Offline relcelestia

• Trade Count: (+107)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Argie Obsessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 08:16:02 AM »
nope :)
HEY [you]! Sell me your Argies! :dribble: Wishlist
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Click HERE to see my 125 Argies!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 08:20:04 AM »
I collect ponies for nostalgias sake. Looking at my collection reminds me of the fun I had as a child, playing with my ponies or watching the cartoon. So I wouldn't collect fakies, they have no nostalgic value for me.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

majikarte

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 08:25:50 AM »
This is an interesting question, for me it's kind of hard to say. I started collecting MLP because of the FiM cartoon, if they were just dollar store fakies they wouldn't have a cartoon. But then, there are the G1s I own, which I bought just because I liked them, not because of the character or anything. But the fact that G1 Twilight can be seen as the origin on Twilight Sparkle, and that there wouldn't be G4 without G1s definitely has meaning. Maybe it would come down to the quality? I don't know, this question really has me torn.

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 08:39:39 AM »
It really depends if the quality and availablity would be the same. I know G4s aren't terribly great quality, but they're still made out of relatively good plastic compared to fakies you find at the dollar store. I still collect other non MLP ponies!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 08:53:20 AM »
Well, I guess they wouldn't be fakies if there were no MLP for them to be copying.....so...I don't know...that's kind of hard to answer.

I collect G1 because I think they're the cutest of all the toy ponies I've seen and because of nostalgia. I sometimes collect the fakies that look like them, same for some G3s, which I think look similar. And I do collect some G4s just because I like them. So I guess yeah, I could say I generally don't collect fakies because they're not the "real thing", but I don't conversely collect MLP just because they are "real" but because I like them, whatever official label they have or not.

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 09:04:13 AM »
I really don't think I would collect some of my ponies if they were fakies.  There's just something appealing about the "legitimacy" of actual, licensed My Little Ponies.  Because they are all licensed, they are all part of one huge set.  If I had fakies throughout my collection, even if I thought they were cute, I would feel like my collection was somehow disingenuous or inaccurate.

Post Merge: November 20, 2012, 09:05:19 AM

Despite the above, I wouldn't mind a Princess Rinse n Spit or two, because I think they are just so freaking hilarious.  But I certainly wouldn't display them with my "real" ponies!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 12:09:50 PM »
Probably not.  Part of the attraction to G1s is the variety that Hasbro offered.  No other fakie company ever made that kind of money off the gimmick of brushable plastic horses...  I mean, I'd likely have my childhood toys but I wouldn't seek out more.  Besides my mom and I have spoken about this and she wouldn't have bought me MLP if it hadn't been a "brand" for me to enjoy - she would have bought Duplex or Lincoln Logs instead.  Ponies worked out well with all my other existing toys. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 12:16:39 PM »
I would collect any pony I find pretty/cute, as long as the quality is good...which, for most fakies, it is not. :/ They just always have such horrible hair! But yeah, if any of the generations were exactly as they are, just made by someone other than Hasbro, I'd still want them.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
I would! I collect Buddy L's.. so why not?  :biggrin:

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

MissSleepless

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 01:13:48 PM »
I would, I collect all kinds of toys. If it's cute, weird or endears itself to me in other ways it comes home with me :D

Offline Pleyone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 01:50:33 PM »
I don´t collect fakies. Only original G1´s. Although some fake ponies are very pretty!

MimiTheMuse

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 01:56:34 PM »
I'm an all around toy collector and my rule of the thumb is as long as I find it pretty, cool, amusing, or it makes me smile than it's worth collecting whether it's a huge brand like My Little Pony or some obscure line that was only around for two years in eighties that next to no one remembers. I bring home fakies that appeal to me, and if those fakies had a full out "line", heck yeah I'd collect them! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal