collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3 Pinkie Pie in G4 Commercial! (Link to episode clip added!)  (Read 7983 times)

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
Re: G3 Pinkie Pie shows up in G4 Commercial!
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2012, 08:58:35 AM »
As I said earlier, I think the bronies bashing G3 are getting it confused with G3.5. They're not the same.. So when people say that G3 sucks and is stupid, I have to remind them that there's a difference between the G3's and G3.5's! I don't think they are talking about G3's because I absolutely ADORE the G3's.

G3 is just as hated. It is deemed to be "too girly and stupid". You'll find the same kind of comments on G3 video's and images as you will find on G3.5 ones. I think most people don't get that the show was aimed at very young children and that some animations had pretty much no budget.

But I don't see why people should say it's stupid if it is aimed at very young viewers. It's for younger viewers and that's already a known fact, not for older ones like G4 is apparently. Hate is a strong word, I don't hate it, I like the dolls from it at least :P If we were little when G3 first released, I would think we'd all like it. G1 for example, we were all kids when G1 shows were on the telly and we do love G1's. I guess that's the generations of us and not the generations of the shows. That's why there are lots of collectors that don't collect other gens but G1. Wow this took a while to type out! *sips coffee*

BerryPunch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2012, 09:47:43 AM »
:I I really think some people are looking into this too much.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2012, 10:06:09 AM »
I LOLed so hard Mr. Skeen came to see what was wrong, and then he LOLed so hard he almost got sick.  XD  He was all, "OMG she was a G3!  It was G3 Pinkie!" He was proud of himself for knowing. 

Then he wanted me to bake him cookies because he knew that. 

pineapple

« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2012, 10:19:56 AM »
I'm not going to believe for a second it's a nod to long time / old gen fans, since these days nothing is aimed at long time / old gen fans. The show is no different from that. There hardly have been such nods in the show before and now that they put a blatant nod into it, it's a mocking one about G3. What a coinkidink.

I don't think it's fair to ascribe malicious intent to the animators, especially when the episode hasn't aired so no one's seen the bit in context rather than cut together in a commercial. No who has worked on the show has ever expressed any such opinions, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them worked on G3 videos.

What? I said "The animators didn't want to "attack" people." in the SAME post you quoted me from. : /
So yeah, noone is "ascribing malicious intent to the animators". Like i said, in that post, they just wanted to give another nod to the bronies. Most people are sadly not very aware that there are a lot of old gen fans.
They focus on the brony community and the brony community is (in general) not very kind to G3. That's it.

Also, no, Studio B isn't behind any of the G3 productions.

The way you phrase it is like they are making a purposeful dig at G3 fans.  Also I didn't say Studio B/DHX Media was behind any of the G3 cartoons, but people aren't married for life to a studio and animation is a rather small industry.  Tabitha St. Germain (Rarity, Luna) was also the voice of Minty, Wysteria, and Thistle Whistle for example.

Pinecone

« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2012, 11:36:46 AM »
I hope Tabitha StGermain voices Minty in this show.

THAT WAS A BIG HINT HUB/HASBRO.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2012, 11:43:48 AM »
I died when I saw that!  Love it!

Of course the EqD bronies are being jerks, but haters gonna hate.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I was just watching MLP on the hub and it's an actual commercial by hasbro.  Bronies didn't manipulate the commercial in any way, hasbro did it.

Post Merge: November 13, 2012, 11:45:08 AM

How did you get Minty out of that?

pineapple

« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2012, 12:18:59 PM »

Now that would be an awesome shout out, have Minty in a scene voiced by Tabs. XD

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2012, 12:46:57 PM »

Now that would be an awesome shout out, have Minty in a scene voiced by Tabs. XD

Oh please ignore my post that says "how did you get Minty out of that?"  I thought you had seen G4 minty in the commercial and said she should be voiced by Tabitha.  That's why I said what I said because there is no G4 Minty in the commercial.  Sorry about that.

Offline Pony Adventures

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • IRL Pony Adventures
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2012, 02:14:46 PM »
We all know this incarnation of the show has some questionable and problematic aspects. This is one of them. Yes it is just an ad, yes it is a shout out to bronies (which I have to agree with many of you that this is troubling due to validating G3 bashing), but it is enforcing the whole concept of different is bad.

The ad was very cute and as others have pointed out, what makes it problematic is the other ponies' negative reactions to her. She was making a silly face. They were disgusted. It wasn't a face where she was pulling up her eyelids or picking her nose (you know actual disgusting things) but it was a cute face where she was merely different. The negative reaction from the others is telling. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if it were Family Guy or a show targeted to adults but this is a kids' show that is meant to be a positive influence. What did that exchange tell us?

Sure the ponies (and writers) have done bad things before. Like I said, it is a show that is often problematic.

Also, many of you are saying that "oh it was nothing, stop reading so far into it". Well these things do not exist in a vacuum and critical analysis of the media you consume is not only very interesting, it is important. Even if it seems bizarre what others are saying, just try to understand their perspective, regardless of whether you subscribe to their ideas or not. You could learn something interesting.

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2012, 05:54:15 PM »
The ad was very cute and as others have pointed out, what makes it problematic is the other ponies' negative reactions to her. She was making a silly face. They were disgusted. It wasn't a face where she was pulling up her eyelids or picking her nose (you know actual disgusting things) but it was a cute face where she was merely different. The negative reaction from the others is telling.

I thought the ad was funny, but at the same time I don't think you're wrong. But I LOVE to play Devil's Advocate: One could argue that the ponies acting disgusted by something that isn't disgusting was a joke in itself.  Like, it's an example of flawed logic to be scared of something just because it's different. Plus, look who's responding: it's Fluttershy, who is (literally) scared of her own shadow, and Rarity, who has had visions of what beauty is supposed to be put upon her her whole life, and...well, now I'M the one reading too much into this. :)
  Probably no one meant any harm in writing this commercial, but I'm sorry people feel maligned over it. That's not a cool result. :(

Also, picking one's nose is not disgusting, but rather a great way to relax after a hard day working among dust and fibers, and appropriate in private situations.   :lol:
I'll put something here some time

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2012, 06:10:33 PM »
Yeah...
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2012, 06:12:56 PM »
I think what a lot of people are irritated about is how it's a stab at past generations. Basically another way for bronies to put down anything that's not G4. That's how I interpreted it. G4s didn't come from anywhere. Guess it's awful that the past generations were pandered to girls. They don't want to think the show they love has previous incarnations that were more 'childish' and 'girly'.

Gah! Sorry for the negativity. That was just my initial thought.

I love FiM but sometimes it's hard to do so. A fandom can kill things for you.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2012, 09:57:39 AM »
I'm also of the opinion that this was a shout-out to the bronies. We've seen that repeatedly in this show... in face, I don't know of ANY other cartoon or show out there currently that responds to their online fanbase as much as FIM does.

It's one thing that makes FiM stand out so much compared to all the other shows on tv (with an exception to voting reality shows). The fact that they acknowledge their fanbase and respond to fan trends that are popular online (and in person at conventions, etc.)

And what have we seen time and again from many of the most vocal of the brony community? That FiM is the only 'good' ponies and the previous generations are far inferior, below their level of intelligence, not as original/interesting/cool/insert word here, etc.

I think it's obvious, based on Fluttershy and Rarity's expressions, that they were expressing exactly what bronies would express when they saw this clip:

"A FiM character with a G3 face!? How disgusting and laughable!"
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2012, 10:06:25 AM »
Yeah...
I don't know about this sentiment. Some people are taking the time to analyze this where others might just let it go, but why shouldn't we? As it relates to our fandom and hobby there's no reason we shouldn't analyze it, respond to it, and discuss it. And it's not like its just one or two off the wall people finding something where there's nothing. A large portion of a community of collectors of old generations are finding fault with this commercial or the things it implies or leads to.

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2012, 11:47:06 AM »
I love FiM but sometimes it's hard to do so. A fandom can kill things for you.

This is definitely affecting me as well. (not just the commercial, mind you)

Some people are taking the time to analyze this where others might just let it go, but why shouldn't we?
We should. I just think some people are getting ornery because they're bronies themselves. But, they can freely express themselves anywhere else on the internet without getting attacked, and us oldpony collectors...well, not so much.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal