collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 3D Printers  (Read 983 times)

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
3D Printers
« on: November 08, 2012, 02:28:47 PM »
I'm really, really tempted to save up for a 3D Printer. But the thing is, I've heard so many varying reviews about them. So I ask you guys-

Is there anyone here who owns or knows someone who owns a 3D printer? What are your thoughts on it? And will they work with say, blender models or certain videogame models? Are they electricity eaters?

Thanks to anyone who can help :frolic:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: 3D Printers
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »
I have no clue. They confuse the heck out of me.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 02:34:02 AM »
Also no clue, but curious.. How much do they cost? I have seen some toys posted to Deviant Art that they say are made with a 3d printer, and I have not been impressed by quality. They say they have been sanded and filed, but the toys they show have so many lines and creases in them. It looks really unattractive. Is this something that differs by how expensive the printer is?

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 11:18:24 AM »
I'd like to know that too. I've seen a couple for about $3k, but I'm not sure about performance, etc.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 12:28:51 PM »
What are your needs? Have you considered using a 3D printing service instead?

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 01:27:44 PM »
Hm, I have, but my concern would be copyright. I can't even get a birthday cake printed these days without that word popping up!

Or are there companies willing to do it on the condition it won't be for resale?

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 03:32:24 PM »
I'm kind of confused, birthday cakes are pretty generic. XD
...?
I doubt the companies that offer the 3D printing would be willing to do something that was a copyright issue-- no one wants to be sued. There might be an individual with a 3D machine that would be willing. One of the reasons why I mentioned the a company, is because they tend to offer different materials (aka higher quality stuff).

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 04:08:31 PM »
they range from $500 - $10,000- and can be higher- no idea why one would cost $500 as opposed to thousands-  there really is so much info out there you might want to just do some hard cor research if you are serious?

You might try uploading a few of your 3D models to Shapeways.com first- to see if you can get the hang of it before investing in an expensive piece of equipment- it sounds like 3D modeling- and then making sure your model is one that can actually be printed- can be tricky and time consuming...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:10:36 PM by Galactica »

Chance

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 04:09:56 PM »
I've never tried using a 3D printer, but I'd really like to someday.

However, I do know of Shapeways. They're an online 3D printing service. And if you're worried about copyright issues, here's what they say in their FAQ...

"You as a designer retain all your intellectual property rights in your 3D design. By uploading your 3D design, you warrant that it is your original creation and not copied from any third party and/or entity."

http://www.shapeways.com/

Hope that's helpful!  :)

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 04:19:32 PM »
there is a difference in quality at least from my experience.  I've had a free object printed from a wonderful 3d printer, it was state of the art and it produced a flawless object.  I was also luck to get someone to do me some free prints from their garage 3d printer.  They looked nice but they didn't hold up to the state of the art printer.  My objects were printed pretty small but they were rough unlike the other mesh which had a lot of detail. 

I can look around and see if I have pictures of the garage printing quality. 

Offline nullcherri

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reneedicherri.com
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 05:40:53 PM »
Hi Sora!

There is a big difference in quality from cheap printers to expensive ones.

The cheaper ones, like MakerBot, have a lower resolution and use materials that come out rough looking- like this:

http://recentissuetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/makerbox.hpg_.jpg

Often the plastic is very brittle and easily breakable.

The industrial /professional 3D printers are expensive($15k-$40k) and electricity hogs for sure. But they make beautiful prints-some of them in full color.

http://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/full-color-3d-printing.jpg?w=443&h=301

The quality of plastic from the expensive machines often can be customized. Some of them can print really rubbery-like.

I would suggest you either play around with a custom printing service like Shapeways, or find a collective shop. Here in the United States we have something called TechShop, where you sign up as a member and take classes to use machines like 3D printers, Laser Cutters, and more!

http://www.techshop.ws/

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 06:43:29 PM »
Before buying one, I suggest looking for a tech shop in your area that offers memberships and test one out a few times.  That's what my husband did - he bought a 3-month membership to use their 3D printer (he was working on a prototype stylus and wanted to make a few test cases for the innards).  It will give you a feel for the technology to see if it's something you want to invest in.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 09:17:17 PM »
...?

Yes, but I think Sora meant the Edible Image cakes. You can't get an image printed onto a cake unless you own the image. Even photos taken at a photography studio have copyrights. Technically, we are supposed to call the studio to request written permission to reproduce their photographs on a cake, though most people ignore that. However, if you come in and hand over a picture of Twilight Sparkle, or Minty or whatever.. Then it needs to be a picture you drew by hand. Anything else is a copyright infringement. There are actually people who go out to the grocery stores to spy and make sure that the copyright rules are being obeyed. If they are found to be in violation, it can result in job loss, lawsuit, and the loss of ability to continue offering edible image cakes. It is a very serious thing.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 06:51:19 AM »
Nullcherri and Ashes offer really good advice on this.  I know someone who runs a small company who uses them, and they definitely went in for the more expensive models.  Quality matters.  I'd try a collective or Shapeways first.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 08:30:32 AM »
...?

Yes, but I think Sora meant the Edible Image cakes. You can't get an image printed onto a cake unless you own the image. Even photos taken at a photography studio have copyrights. Technically, we are supposed to call the studio to request written permission to reproduce their photographs on a cake, though most people ignore that. However, if you come in and hand over a picture of Twilight Sparkle, or Minty or whatever.. Then it needs to be a picture you drew by hand. Anything else is a copyright infringement. There are actually people who go out to the grocery stores to spy and make sure that the copyright rules are being obeyed. If they are found to be in violation, it can result in job loss, lawsuit, and the loss of ability to continue offering edible image cakes. It is a very serious thing.
I thought she wanted to print a birthday cake with the 3D machine. That's why I was confused.
I tend to side with companies protecting their IP. Especially when it comes to yanking images off the internet and misusing them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal