collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone have their tonsils out?  (Read 2480 times)

Offline jwalraven

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jwal's DeviantART
Anyone have their tonsils out?
« on: November 02, 2012, 10:31:32 AM »
I'm getting mine out this coming Monday. So just to get a better idea of what I am getting into, how many of y'all have had your tonsils removed? How was recovery?

Offline HorsingAround

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have their tonsils out?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »
I was pretty young when I had mine taken out so I don't remember it that well.  Which I guess means it was not all that traumatic!! ;) I remember just eating a LOT of  ice cream.  I think it feels comparable to strep throat... The doc will give you pain medication so that will help.  I remember the antibiotics made me sick to my stomach and believe me the last thing you want to be doing is throwing up after having the surgery.  :nope:  I'm sure your surgery will go just fine!  Wishing you a speedy recovery!!!! 
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 10:41:12 AM »
I was going to a few years back, but I ended up not removing them. I heard you need to drink soft and silky stuff and eat plenty of ice cream for it to heal ! :D

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 11:50:23 AM »
I got them out when I was in high school. It was the worst I had ever physically felt. My advice is, when you're allowed to again, EAT! I refused to eat due to the discomfort, but it just made me feel even worse and worried my family. Obviously you need to go from liquid, to near liquid, to mush, to soft foods, but just keep yourself nourished. And have lots of good books, TV, video games available. I thought I'd be okay with bad TV, but it does get soul-crushing.

Wanna hear why I got mine out? It's kind of nasty:
Spoiler
I didn't need to get them out, but they were really huge, and I would get chunks of food stuck in them all the time. It would give me ad breath, and occasionally even discomfort.  I could actually reach into the back of my throat, squeeze a tonsil, and food bits would pop out like zits. Gross! Aren't you sorry you read that?  :P
I'll put something here some time

Offline jwalraven

• View Profile
    • Jwal's DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »
I'm actually not sorry for reading that. That is the exact same problem I have! I think it is called Chronic Cryptic Tonsillitis and my ENT said my tonsils are huge for an adult as well.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 01:00:43 PM »
I got mine out when I was 6. All I remember is keeping the nurses up all night demanding red popsicles.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline jwalraven

• View Profile
    • Jwal's DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »
I'm just glad my husband's work schedule will permit him to stay home and help out and if needed, his office is a few minutes away.

Right now, I'm prepping some soup and recipes of things I can eat for the next couple of weeks. :3

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 09:52:41 PM »
I was maybe 5 or 6, and it was an absolute nightmare! I had to get emergency surgery afterwards because it started bleeding heavily. I remember it as if it were yesterday. I refused to eat anything.
But I also remember getting my twins Sticky and Sniffles, the pink ones with blue and white hair.

How long are you going to stay in hospital?

Wishing you all the best and a good recovery!

Offline jwalraven

• View Profile
    • Jwal's DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 10:11:18 PM »
I should be able to go home a couple hours after the surgery is over. It is considered an out-patient procedure now.

And thanks!

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 12:44:55 AM »
Out-patient? Seriously? Maybe the procedures are better nowadays.
Take good care! All the best!

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 02:35:02 AM »
i was 18...it was the worst 2 weeks of my life, beginning right after waking up. panic/asthma attack. vomiting. next morning, i had to eat before i could leave hospital, they bought me hot coffee and toast for breakfast. i did not eat properly for 2 weeks. nothing for first few days. did not talk for first few days. paracetamol no good at all, i gargled a dissolving aspirin before taking one of the strong script drugs, panadeine forte. advice? - eat lots of yoghurt to balance out meds, and no super hot food/drink. plus side? - awesome for weight loss!!!! most annoying? - the kids that had it as day surgery, eating their vegemite sandwiches immediately after surgery in front of me, while i was waiting my turn.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 07:10:30 AM »
I still have my tonsils, but a couple of years ago I took care of a friend after he had his removed.  It was outpatient for him as well.  I got him multiple slushes from Sonic.  XD  It took him a few days to really feel well enough to do anything afterwards, so make sure you take it really easy after the surgery. 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline NoPonySpecial

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 10:18:07 AM »
  I was just reminded of a funny tonsil anecdote.
  When I was a kid I had to go to the hospital for dehydration. Across the hall was a little girl who got her tonsils out. She might have been five or younger?
  The nurse and her parents were trying to get her to eat ice cream, and she kept yelling (as loud as the poor thing could in that condition) "No! I want peas! I want peas!" They finally had to come to an agreement, "If you eat your ice cream, you can have some peas afterwards."   :lol:
  It cracked me up, and might have been the first time I recognized irony.   :biggrin:

Offline prettypony55

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 12:36:08 PM »
I had to have my tonsils taken out two years ag when I was 27ish. My tonsils were huge, and had HUGE tonsil stones stuck in them. My doctors couldnt get the huge stones out so I had to have them surgically removed. I will tell you it was the worse pain I have ever felt. I am not trying to scare you, but I am being honest. When I got home and tried to lay down in bed I kept choking on blood. I finally figured out it was best to sleep upright, like in a recliner chair, I slept like that for about two weeks. The pain killers they gave me were awful too. It was a liquid codine, and it made me hallucinate!!! So, I went through that whole thing without any pain meds. I finally got to the point I could crush a tylonel and put it in pudding and let it slide down my throat.

Now, looking back it was the best thing I could have done for myself. I no longer have tonsil stones, bad breath or noasty crap coming out of my tonsils. Before I ahd them taken out, I could get a q-tiop and push all that nasty crap out everyday. So I am happy I did it, but it hurt.

Offline NoPonySpecial

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 03:27:18 PM »
  Ew, the liquid codine was the WORST. Never made me hallucinate, though.  You'd think they could put sugar in it so it would taste better or something. Yeah, Jwalraven, you're probably going to have to take that, too.  Fortunately it's only for a few days, maybe a week, then you can switch to something else
  And gosh, I never coughed up blood! How awful to have to sleep like that for so long! Maybe it's because it gets worse when you're older?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal