collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone have their tonsils out?  (Read 2487 times)

Offline blondee1982

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have their tonsils out?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »
Oh I am so sorry to hear that :( I am not trying to scare you but...I had mine out a yr ago at the age of 29 and I have to say it was the worst pain I have ever had in my life...and I had a horribly painful 22hr child birthing experience...but at least it was over in 22hrs and then the pain meds helped 100% after that. My tonsillectomy was FAR worse, no amount of pain meds ever fully took the pain away and I could not eat or drink really anything for two weeks because it hurt too much. Then after 2 weeks the pain got even worse and at that point my doc would not give me any more pain meds and said to alternate Tylenol and ibuprofen !! Did not touch the pain at all, Yikes!I could only eat apple sauce and ice cream, I literally cried everyday because I was so hungry that I could not stand it and had to just sit and watch as my husband and son ate :( It took over a month before I was able to really start eating again or stand the pain...crazy horrible experience but at least I don't get tonsillitis anymore ;) Best of luck to you truly, Hopefully yours goes better :)

Post Merge: November 03, 2012, 03:55:11 PM

The doctor also told me that is 10 times worse if you are older, kids and teens it is more like a really bad sore throat. Also my tonsils were huge and infected from chronic tonsillitis so that could have been a contributing factor in my case as well ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:55:11 PM by blondee1982 »

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 04:09:05 PM »
This is a fascinating thread.  I had to google tonsils to even find out where mine were, lol.  I think I've located them.  As a question, how do you get food caught in them?  Mine seem to be sealed in the roof of my mouth.  :what:

Spoiler for my own gross story:
Spoiler
Don't worry, I'm not at all grossed out. I once had an abcess in my mouth that I could push and squeeze green puss out of  :X

Offline jwalraven

• Trade Count: (+59)
    • View Profile
    • Jwal's DeviantART
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 04:15:01 PM »
There are little gaps on the outside of your tonsils called crypts. For most people they are sealed up nicely where not much of anything gets in there. For people like myself, small pieces of chewed up food get in there from normal eating, bacteria (the natural stuff in there) forms the yellowish-white crust around it and makes a tonsil stone.

Yeah, I know this month won't be too much fun with the pain and all but I have no energy from the constant sore throats and swollen tonsils. I am also told I have a high pain tolerance when it comes to stuff like this so hopefully I will manage ok.

Thanks for sharing your stories everyone!

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »
Oh, I get small pieces of food on my tonsils sometimes, too. But it's not much. It gives bad breath, though, urgh.

It's funny, because this happens only when I am a bit more stressed out or something... o_O

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 07:39:01 PM »
I had them out when I was 28.  It was lots of pain, not being able to eat solids for 6 weeks... and nobody mentioned the constipation.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 01:10:49 AM »
There are little gaps on the outside of your tonsils called crypts. For most people they are sealed up nicely where not much of anything gets in there. For people like myself, small pieces of chewed up food get in there from normal eating, bacteria (the natural stuff in there) forms the yellowish-white crust around it and makes a tonsil stone.

Yeah, I know this month won't be too much fun with the pain and all but I have no energy from the constant sore throats and swollen tonsils. I am also told I have a high pain tolerance when it comes to stuff like this so hopefully I will manage ok.

Thanks for sharing your stories everyone!

Ah ha.  Thanks for explaining. I guess it's kind of like apendix - some people have endless trouble while others go right through life not even knowing they have one.

Best of luck with your op and recovery, jwalraven :hug:

Offline jwalraven

• View Profile
    • Jwal's DeviantART
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 10:46:36 PM »
Yep. I'm not looking forward to it, but I should come out better in the end. I won't be constantly "blah" from being sick all the time.

I got loaded up on more stuff to eat so I should be set. I also picked out some recipes for my husband to cook. I got puddings, Jello, instant mash potatoes, oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, fruit purees, and the like.

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 11:07:52 PM »
lol, it sounds like you got all the right stuff - i looove instant mash, was one of the few things i could get down - once it was almost cold :) hope it goes well and not like all our horror stories :) can't believe how many others have also suffered!!!

NumiTuziNeru

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 04:22:33 AM »
I got mine out when I was... what, 6? 7? along with my adenoids. I was getting ill every two seconds before I got them out though, so no regrets.
Spoiler
Turns out they had practically rotted in my throat and were doing the exact opposite of what they were meant to do.
I basically ended up sitting at home watching cartoons and communicating using some very creative methods of sign language. Worst holiday ever.

For the longest time I genuinely thought getting your tonsils out was something that happened to everyone, like some rite of passage or something. I blame children's books from the fifties.

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 01:19:59 PM »
Just be careful as to what you eat- things you wouldn't think would hurt make your mouth feel like it's burning. I couldn't do anything with pineapple flavor, most fruits, well.... anything really with any sort of flavor just hurt on the way down. I had my adenoids out too.  It was also annoying when the scabs were coming off- if your gag reflex is bad like mine, the scabs hit it and you think you're going to puke all the time. ughhh.... just getting nauseated thinking about that.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline BrightSide

• Fairy Floss
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • There is a world inside of me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »
I'd actually not mind mine being removed.. as my immune system is slightly impaired, I seem to get bouts of nasty tonsillitis every few months, even to the extent of being unable to speak for a fortnight in April o.O

Over here, for under 16s they tend to keep them in overnight (was on a ward with a flurry of patients back in March, think that's where I'd caught it!!), but for 16+ it's a day case unless there are complications, concerns or medical history which might cause problems.
Fight like a girl..

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 03:47:42 PM »
I did...my first sinus doctor suggested it because he thought it could help me breathe better when I'm having an allergy attack. They were slightly big.

So the side effects? It hurts to talk...very very much. You can talk better in a couple of days and in a week, you'll be okay.
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 04:42:31 PM »
nope never gone though this , but I did have my wisdom teeth out that was not fun. I found out I was allergic to laughing gas and on top of that when I get it I turn into someone with anger issues.  In fact I almost punched by baby sisters best friend for asking me what happened. I do with a speedy recovery to you though and that all goes well.

Offline jwalraven

• View Profile
    • Jwal's DeviantART
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 06:05:30 PM »
I just got back home and am now gonna rest up. So far everything has gone normal for the tonsillectomy.

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 06:16:25 PM »
Glad to hear that! Take good care, and rest well!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal