collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

which do you prefer to seal a custom (or FBR) with, and why?

Testor's Dullcoat/glossy (or other brands of the same type)
17 (35.4%)
Mod Podge
13 (27.1%)
some other brush on gloop or spray that i havent thought of
6 (12.5%)
a jar of almonds
6 (12.5%)
meat
6 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: November 07, 2012, 09:57:30 AM

Author Topic: Sealer vs. Mod Podge- FIGHT!  (Read 12446 times)

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
Sealer vs. Mod Podge- FIGHT!
« on: October 31, 2012, 10:57:30 AM »
ok, ive been curious for a while about Mod Podge, and just from haunting forums it looks like about half of the people use it, tho a bunch also seem to use Testors (which is what ive been using- was a knee jerk reaction type of decision for me, leftover from 20 years of painting dnd minis) and ive been wondering why people use what they use.

do you find what you use is stronger, or more flexible, or just a texture you like more?

*sits down to take notes*

pony dust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sealer vs. Mod Podge- FIGHT!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 11:07:42 AM »
good question !
*joins you on note taking*

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 11:26:31 AM »
For ponies? Mod Podge. I have Testor's, and I use it for doll faceups, but I don't really like it as much.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 12:19:48 PM »
Mod Podge tends to be easier to find but it's not really -that- water proof... I stopped using it on FBRs because when I tried to curl some pony hair the water reactivated the mod podge and made the hair stick to the pony.... Then again Testor's sometimes isn't that water proof either but at least it's not like a glue :P
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 12:20:56 PM »
It really depends on what I'm using it for. I use dullcote on anything with a FBR. But I don't do a lot of FBRs. For symbols or sculpting I use mod podge or occasionally triple thick - for eyes I use triple thick.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 12:52:58 PM »
Dullcoat for sure! I think it makes the pony look more like 'Hasbro made this' rather than 'I painted a pony.' I think particularly if you don't have an airbrush, it just adds more 'brush strokes' in the texture. I also live in a temperate rain forest climate where it's damp a lot and Modge Podge never seems to completely 'set' here, and I am nervous about it possibly getting sticky again on a particularly wet day.

I also use acrylic gloss for eyes and sometimes symbols when necessary :)

Offline Kanthaka

• Trade Count: (+342)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • Crafting Instagram
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 01:08:59 PM »
I've just recently started messing around with Testor's, but I've mostly used Mod Podge.  Styling can definitely be a problem when you use Mod Podge and I'm sure it doesn't do well in some climates, but I've lived in humid areas and haven't noticed any stickiness.  I'm not much of a fan of spray sealants, but Dullcoat worked really well for a pony with a full body repaint... after it dried. :P 

This is completely personal preference, but I think I'll stick to Mod Podge for sealing smaller areas and use TDC on full repaints.

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 01:57:01 PM »
I'll use Dullcoat whenever I can.  I like how it easy it is to just spray and go.  I like the end result of the finish better too.  I pretty much only use Mod Podge when spraying is absolutely not an option.  Like the hair is already rooted and styled.  I've been known to tape a ponies hair all to hell so I could still spray the body.  My Mod Podge is pretty much reserved to glossy applications, eyes and symbols mostly, if it goes with the design.  That's about it! 

Oh, wait...scratch all that.  I seal my ponies with meat...duh!

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 02:50:31 PM »
to clarify for those who didnt catch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=264xF26rIuk

:silly:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 03:43:53 PM »
The customs I have that were "sealed" with Mod Podge are suffering greatly. I've never used it myself, not on ponies anyway. It's good for gluing puzzles together though... because it's glue...

On the flip side, I cannot find Testors Dullcote here anywhere. I use Liquitex acrylic varnish and it holds up well in my climate (though not perfectly like Dullcote does) - and I realize I am in the very small minority, I don't know if it's because I'm surrounded by water or what but, Mod Podge is horrid.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »
I have used Liquitex Varnish, Mod Podge, Testors Dullcote, and Triple Thick. I am not 100% happy with any of them.

Liquitex dried sticky to the touch every time I tried to use it.

Mod Podge is very solid and durable, but heaven forbid I need to boil perm a pony's hair. It is glue and when it gets wet, the hair gets stuck in it. I have never had it dry sticky or become sticky even though I live in a humid, warm area. But then, I do water my mod podge down till it is the consistency of milk so that may help.

Testors Dullcote... Sometimes it gets sticky. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it rubs off of the pony when I am rehairing her, sometimes it does not. Sometimes it picks up dirt a LOT, and when I try to wash it, it just rubs the sealer off.. For me, Dullcote is hit or miss. And if I do a pearly paint job and use dullcote to seal it.. Well guess what? It dulls the coat of paint and kills a LOT of the pearl or metallic shine. I have heard that most of these problems can be attributed to a new formula for the product, and that you have to shake it up a LOT before you use it.. But I shake the can for like 5 minutes before using it and the only problem that seems to solve for me is the sticky issue.

Triple Thick is GREAT if you want something very shiny. It is strong, durable, water resistant and does not dry sticky. However, it does get cloudy if you apply it too thick. It just dries way too shiny to use on most large surfaces. I mostly use it for symbols or eyes.

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 09:13:46 PM »
Honestly, I have no idea what the sealant I use is.  I know it's satin finish, so there's a bit of a shine to my customs when they're done.  I bought this stuff when I first started customizing... nine years ago? in a huge bottle and still have somewhere between a third and a quarter of it left and can't justify throwing it out :)  I've only recently started using triple thick on the eyes and like it except for the occassional bubbles.  I didn't vote in the poll yet, because I don't know if my "unknown sealant" correctly fit in the first option or not...

Offline kayveryn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 09:06:20 PM »
I've used mod podge quite a bit, and it does generally work pretty well. I 've also used matte liquitex and ceramcoat. The Liquitex is pretty nice, but I water it down some. The ceramcoat was a nightmare. It crackled all over.  Just recently, i've been using matte Jo Sonja polyurethane sealer. *LOVE* It's a brush on, but is thin enough to not leave brush marks, and dries to a very tough waterproof finish. (waterproof as in hair styling anyway...=])

Kayveryn

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »
Mod Podge!!!

Offline NichiTsukinoko

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lady-moondancer.livejournal.com/
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 10:12:27 PM »
I used Mod Podge for a long time but it has limitations. I found some really awesome spray on varnish. Crystal Cote by Armory and glossy by Vallejo.  But both of them have warnings about not using them if you are pregnant cause they can cause birth defects. So there is the limitations to those.

Music is a revelation; a revelation loftier than all wisdom and all philosophy. ~Ludwig Von Beethoven

Thank you Reiya! Thanks to SDS!
Etsy Store: NichiTsukinoko Customs : www.etsy.com/shop/NichiTsukinoko  10% off with coupon code MOVING till Nov 9, 2015

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal