collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

which do you prefer to seal a custom (or FBR) with, and why?

Testor's Dullcoat/glossy (or other brands of the same type)
17 (35.4%)
Mod Podge
13 (27.1%)
some other brush on gloop or spray that i havent thought of
6 (12.5%)
a jar of almonds
6 (12.5%)
meat
6 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: November 07, 2012, 09:57:30 AM

Author Topic: Sealer vs. Mod Podge- FIGHT!  (Read 12454 times)

Offline Ambar

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Sealer vs. Mod Podge- FIGHT!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 08:01:45 AM »
i´m very interested in try with that Jo Sonja polyurethane sealer!!!
but i can´t found it here in Mexico

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 08:04:08 AM »
I use Dullcoat or Modpodge, depending on the custom.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 09:17:51 AM »
I use a spray sealant, either Army Painter Anti-Shine Matt Varnish or Mr. Super Clear Matt. The main reason behind this is the availability of the products in Finland (well, only Army Painter spray is available here of these products...) and that I tend to blush the ponies I do with pastels and in those ponies I can't really use a brushed on sealant.

Of the sprays I have to say I can't pick a favorite. MSC is always a sure choice, always of good quality, but Army Painter is a bit cheaper and I prefer the surface it leaves, but AP has some quality issues. I haven't had trouble with AP personally, but people in Finland's ABJD hobby have had bottles that have a defective nozzle (3-5 cans total out of dozens). I have personally used about 7 bottles of AP and haven't had any trouble yet.

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 09:21:20 AM »
I'll never use Mod Podge again - cause that one I used got sticky after a while what's horrible.
So now I seal my customs or other things with Fimo varnish =)
BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 09:23:43 AM »
yeah i usually default to Testors dullcoat or Armorys clear matte dullcoat. i tried some sort of brushon dullcoat to patch up some symbols i had to touch up (my topcoat had run out and i thought id covered everything, but after washing hair i found i was wrong ugh!) and it seemed to work ok, but looked kinda foggy if you look close. may eventually go back and give it a shot of the spray and see if it clears up.

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 11:09:02 AM »
I have maybe a dozen different sealers that I use for different things.
For FBR's or if I need a matte symbol (some symbols just look better matte) - Dullcote or Mr Super Clear UV Cut
For glossy eyes- Triple Thick or Sculpey Gloss
For symbols - (this is where is just depends on what i want) Sculpey Satin, Liquitex Matte Varnish, Folkart Satin Varnish, Sculpey Gloss, Judikins Diamond Glaze (3d symbols)
For glittering - Modpodge Gloss (also use this to help make masquerade masks)
For bases - adding grass etc, Modpodge Matte

I have some others but have yet to try them out - You do need to be careful if you are like me and try different types of products as some chemical makeups don't play well together

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 12:41:16 PM »
I remember hearing a ton about Mr Super Clear when I was more into Pullips.  It's supposed to be pretty amazeballs.  Has anyone ever seen it in store in the US or is pretty much just available online only?  I'd love to try it, but I'm an impatient bastard. 

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 07:42:13 PM »
I use Testors, mainly because I like the spray format and so many folks here use it. I've liked it so far, although as someone said, it won't do for something that's shiny. I found some spray mod podge that I tried before I got the testors, but it was terrible for me. It just stayed sticky. I used it on two customs and had to reseal them after I got the other stuff. I also use triple thick for eyes and things that are shiny.

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 07:58:26 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot about my gloss. It is a brush on version called Microgloss. One thin layer of it is a rather satin-ish, while two thin layers come out glossy, so it's rather good for both satin and gloss finishing touches. Too thick layers come out yellowish though, which doesn't happen with the other gloss I used before Microgloss (can't remember the name of it).

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 08:46:27 PM »
I've never seen Mr Super Clear in stores here. I order it through ebay :)

Offline kayveryn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
i´m very interested in try with that Jo Sonja polyurethane sealer!!!
but i can´t found it here in Mexico

http://www.dickblick.com/products/jo-sonjas-water-based-polyurethane-varnish/
I don't know if they ship to mexico, but it's worth a try...=]

Kayveryn

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 06:09:34 AM »
interesting....I started using Modge Podge BECAUSE that's what pony customizers SAID to use, especially for a matte finish (well, it's more matte that the stuff I had been using).

now pony customizers are saying that it's bad??! I'm confused

I tried a spray sealer once and it never dried and the ponies were horribly sticky so I've stayed away.

now that my MP is low should I try TDC? and what IS triple thick? where do I find it?

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 07:26:37 AM »
I think that if you haven't had any problems with MP before, no reason to feel a drastic need to change. However, you might pick up a can of TDC and try it out and see how you like it :)

Triple Thick is a brush on gloss glaze. It dries clear and does not need to be watered down. Just brush it on. Any brush strokes fade out as it settles. It's best used for eyes and anything meant to be shiny. I find it at Michaels on the same isle as Mod Podge. It is in a short jar and it says "Triple Thick" on the jar. The one I have is made by DecoArt. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM5658609703P?sid=IDx20110310x00001i&srccode=cii_184425893&cpncode=32-187386143-2

Starblaze

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 08:48:12 AM »
I am a Delta Ceramcoat gal all the way. I like the look of the indoor satin varnish, and I have never had any problems with it thus far. But then again it may be my jar of almonds that helps me achieve the look I want...  :P

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2012, 09:28:07 AM »
I use several things but my main staple is Testors. When I first stumbled onto the customizing scene in 2006 the majority of customizers were using matte Mod Podge so of course I bought some. I had no complaint except for the fact that it wasn't a true matte finish and I wasn't completely happy with that. There were a few customizers who were using Testors Dullcote so I decided to give that a try and fell in love. That being said the majority of spray sealers are NOT recommended for ponies. Most will dry sticky and wreck your custom.

I also use Triple Thick for eyes and Sculpey Gloss Glaze for shiny symbols or sealing glitter. I also use the Sculpey Gloss to mix with glitter when I want to paint it on rather than sprinkle. ;)

interesting....I started using Modge Podge BECAUSE that's what pony customizers SAID to use, especially for a matte finish (well, it's more matte that the stuff I had been using).

now pony customizers are saying that it's bad??! I'm confused

Roogna, I have several customs sealed with Mod Podge and have had little to no issues with them. The ones I do have issues with are the ones which were sealed with Mod Podge straight from the bottle (not watered down) - those tend to get sticky and collect dust anytime I turn off my AC and open the windows. I think part of the problem is that over the years people forget to emphasize that Mod Podge needs to be watered down if you plan on using it as a sealer. New customizers get started and use the product without knowing the tricks.

Post Merge: November 03, 2012, 09:31:28 AM

On the flip side, I cannot find Testors Dullcote here anywhere.

BC, I buy mine at Michaels (in the hobby isle) and now at Walmart - it's not located with the craft supplies but in the toy isle with the models.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:31:28 AM by pop-girl »
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal