collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Round Robin Swap - GAUGING INTEREST - Updated!  (Read 781 times)

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
Round Robin Swap - GAUGING INTEREST - Updated!
« on: October 20, 2012, 08:06:03 AM »
Maniah had this awesome idea for a Round Robin swap, but because of her board stats she can’t host it just yet.  I loved the idea and want her to be able to participate so I’m taking up the challenge to host it myself! 
I’m going to just put Maniah’s original breakdown of how it works, since it’s her idea:

ETA:  After getting some feedback I've decided to make groups of no more than 4 (including the original sender).  The original breakdown below is just to give you an idea of how it works.  If more than 4 people are interested I'd be willing to monitor more than 1 group.   

1.   A preps a bait and sends it to person B along with a note containing a few favorite colors and themes.

2. B then begins the custom process. Based on the favorite colors or theme, B then decides the next step to take. FBR? Gems? Eyes? Symbol? B does ONE thing to the pony, jots down some ideas or thoughts and adds them to my note, then mails the pony to C.
(FBR, Symbol, or Eyes)

3. C reads over those notes and decides they are great, but what if we did this a little different? And C adds their own take, adding a bit more to the custom. If it had a FBR, then C may be adding eyes, or gems, or a symbol. Maybe it didn't get a FBR. Maybe it already has a symbol? Or an outline of a symbol? Or just eyes? C adds SOMETHING to the pony. Then C adds notes and ideas, and passes it on to D.
(Symbol or Eyes)

4. D gets the pony and reads the notes.. You see where this is going? By this point, the pony should be close to needing hair. Add notes, pass it on.
(Symbol, eyes, glitz or hair)

5. E. Should be down to options for Glitz or Hair

6. F. Will finish it up. Add the glitz, or the hair, and seal it. Take care of touchups.

7. A recieves the completed pony.

As Maniah was, I’m open to suggestions and input if anyone thinks there is more organized/inspired/whatever way to do this.  If enough people are interested I’d be willing to have more than one group going at a time. 

Depending on how sign ups go, this will most likely be skill based.  If there are enough participants of varying skills then I would create separate groups.  If a group is 1 or 2 people short, or has 1 or 2 too many, then the assigned tasks would be rearranged or I would step in to handle additional steps if needed. 

Everyone is responsible for their own shipping and the person sending out the bait is responsible to provide a box that will either make it through the entire process from person to person, or can be easily replaced by something free from the post office.  Shipping deadlines and options can be discussed by participants after we get the go-ahead.  If there are folks outside of the US interested I will do my best to distribute everything to make shipping costs fair for everyone.   

Soooo…now that you’ve made it through all that…yay!  I know Maniah had a flood of messages from people who were interested before, but I don’t have that list.  Please post here if you are still interested, even if you PMd her before.  If the swap gets approved then I’ll update for signups and PMs. 

ETA: RUUUUUUULES!!

1. Please have 5 positive arena feedback. If you have feedback at the TP from members who are also on the Arena that will count towards your total.  eBay feedback may be considered, depending on how many you are short on the Arena and how many you have on eBay.
2. Please be an arena member for at least 4 months.
3. Please submit pictures of your last 3 customs.  This will help determine if we need to match anything by skill level.
4. If you do not meet the first three requirements I may consider a new member category so you can participate and build your feedback up.  Depending on if enough people are interested.
5. Ship on time! If you are unable to meet shipping deadlines please notify me ASAP.
6. Participate in the thread!  Please check in to the thread as often as possible.  That includes participating in the current discussion.
6. Each participant will be responsible for their own shipping costs.
7. Please be prepared to send progress pictures for each step.
8. This swap can include multiple generations of baits.  You will be getting back whatever you send out in the first round, so choose whatever bait you like best.  Please be prepared to use any type of bait sent to you.
9.  You must meet the Arena requirements for swap participation.  Please make sure that you have the slots available to join.
10. Please keep your shipping receipts for each round!  Hang on to them until it confirmed that your step has been received by the next participant.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:30:47 PM by PhyllieBean »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
Re: Round Robin Swap - GAUGING INTEREST
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 09:29:29 AM »
This could be amazing and scary at the same time. Biggest thing is how long would each person get with their custom section....for me rehairs are still way too new and it would take me a long time to finish that portion. But I know others are a lot more versed then me:)

I think this is a very cool idea. I would not join as I feel my skills are not up for this...only a few customs under my belt at the moment....but I hope it goes through. It would be so neat. And taking pictures at each step should be a requirement! Pony progression picks would be super fun:)
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 10:57:03 AM »
I, of course, would be happy to join. I personally feel a week per section would be sufficient. When you consider shipping times, this could give a break between each section. But if one step needs more time than that it wouldn't be too hard to extend time. And if people finish a step early then it wouldn't be too hard to ship early either, right?

I would want to keep all participants within the same country though due to shipping costs.

And if someone drops out, they need to have the balls to fess up and pass their pony to the person who was currently working on their. The pony they originally sent out will not be completed and it will be send back to them. That's my suggestion on that matter. :)

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »
sounds like a fun idea, but I'm pretty much unable to join any swaps until after January XD

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Argentum-Zeena

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »
What a cool idea :) If I meet the requirements when/if the swap is approved I will most likely join.

In regard to requirements, could you perhaps consider allowing feedback from off site (MLPTP, eBay, etc) to count as well? I have little feedback here, but much more at the TP.
That's the only way I'd meet the feedback requirement.  :blush:

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »
It is an interesting idea, here are a few thoughts to keep in mind.

If it's all, for example, in the US each artist would have to ship 7 ponies.  So, if the shipping for one pony is $3-5, multiply that by 7 to get a ballpark of the financial responsibilities for this swap. 

You could consider no sculpting as a part of the rules, shipping something breakable one time can be stressful, let alone many times!

It "could" be difficult to keep everyone on the same time table due to postal service irregularities, different artist work times, and other life happenings.  Especially a shorter time frame.

Because of the level of committment and responsibility required to stay with it for the entire length of the swap, I'd recommend some fairly strong feedback requirements and Arena standing (a member that's been here for years consistently is a little more predictable than a newer member, though I love all the members!)

It is a very neat idea, these are just a few of my thoughts.  I just hope it's feasible.  <3

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 02:51:44 PM »
The sculpting bit is a good mention! I did include that in my original post, but forgot to mention it here again.

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »
If it's all, for example, in the US each artist would have to ship 7 ponies. So, if the shipping for one pony is $3-5, multiply that by 7 to get a ballpark of the financial responsibilities for this swap.
I dig the idea and would love to participate, but I agree that this would be a big issue. Perhaps it would be best to start up after the new year with Christmas fast approaching. I know my finances will be tied up moreso until then.

Offline Angellove

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 05:01:30 PM »
Love this, but I would want to sculpt. :)

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 05:18:27 PM »
It sounds like fun but it sounds quite expensive.

If I understand correctly, each participant would potentially have to ship 6 times. That is alot in shipping costs, even if it's just within the US (figure $4 each time for just the pony not including any extras that might be added, that adds up to $21 just in shipping). Add in international shipping possibilities, which would at least another $4-5 in shipping for each international destination.  And then on top of that supplies needed for each step.

Post Merge: October 20, 2012, 05:19:26 PM

I didn't see CSA's post, looks like she beat me to the costs that would be associated with this swap ;)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 06:08:43 AM »
:hug: Great minds Oneleo :P

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 06:14:54 AM »
The idea is that anyone who wants to join in will be aware of the shipping costs, and take that into consideration when signing up :) It definitely should be listed in the main post for sure.

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 06:38:13 AM »
I hosted a swap like this several years ago. it only had me and 3 others sign up ..with mixed results. it's a fun idea though

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline PaintedHooves

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Dayna's Custom Ponies
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 10:49:33 AM »
I would definitely be interested in this, just as I was with Maniah's.  I know I'm a new member here, but I can provide a few references from previous pony orders on my facebook business page as well as etsy.  I also have some ebay feedback.  If I'm too new I understand  :redface:

Offline MoonHawke

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Gaming is Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 04:50:54 PM »
I'm interested in the idea of this swap, but what's holding me back from jumping on it is the cost of the shipping. When Maniah was looking for people, it seemed like she was looking for no more than 3 other people, meaning you only had to ship 3 times which seemed more doable for me money wise.

While I would love to take part in this, between being a newbie and what might be a larger scale of numbers of times a pony has to be shipped, I think that I have to pass on this for now.  :cry:
Wishlist: Cherry Blossom :heart: Fairy Dust

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal