collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: No green ponies???  (Read 2217 times)

Evening_Moonstone

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: No green ponies???
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 07:12:31 AM »
I desperately want Minty, but I'm just not that big a fan of lime green ponies (except for Granny Smith, I would buy a brushable of her immediately!)  Lyra reminds me of Medley's green - sort of an aqua green rather than Mimic green.  But isn't Mimic HTF because she wasn't popular back in the day? 

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 08:49:19 AM »
I would love a straight up green pony- like Minty colored-

I read that at least for Strawberry SHortcake, they ditched green colors (for hair and dresses) because market studies show that little girls like the color green least of all (and pink best).  I expect the same studies influence MLP marketing.

I saw this article that talks about how women are "biologically programmed" to like pink:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1654371,00.html
And this famous blogger granny talks about how the pink/blue thing is ridiculous.
http://www.blogher.com/omg-im-going-be-grandmother-and-i-hate-gender-marketing

Even if women are more drawn to pink- in a sea of pink toys- don't you think that little and big girls alike will be drawn to a bright green toy?  Just look at how fast the green colored monster high dolls are flying off the shelf...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:57:04 AM by Galactica »

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 08:54:24 AM »
My favorite color as a little girl was deep emerald green.  I was obsessed with green!!! I didn't like pink at all.  Green green green!!!  I think they market pink as a pretty girl/princess color and influence little girls to agree with them that pink is their favorite because they want to be girly/princesses/ballerinas/pretty. If left to their own, I wonder what colors kids would like best.  Blue used to be a girl's color and pink a boy's.  Maybe when that was the case every boy loved pink and every girl loved blue.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 08:57:48 AM »
Even minty is not all that "green" to me because she's so light. They need to make more ponies in the color of some of the grene nirvanas - a nice rich dark true green!

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 11:24:57 AM »
I would love a straight up green pony- like Minty colored-

I read that at least for Strawberry SHortcake, they ditched green colors (for hair and dresses) because market studies show that little girls like the color green least of all (and pink best).  I expect the same studies influence MLP marketing.

I saw this article that talks about how women are "biologically programmed" to like pink:
And this famous blogger granny talks about how the pink/blue thing is ridiculous.
http://www.blogher.com/omg-im-going-be-grandmother-and-i-hate-gender-marketing

Even if women are more drawn to pink- in a sea of pink toys- don't you think that little and big girls alike will be drawn to a bright green toy?  Just look at how fast the green colored monster high dolls are flying off the shelf...
interesting
my favorite colour has been pink since i was a little girl but i have always loved and wanted G1 minty and seashell, purple with green hair, since i was a kid too.
i never had any pink pony's as a child come to think to it, there were white with purple hair, purple with blue hair, salty, bouncy, moonstone. but i loved pink but wasnt after any, funny huh.

i think alot of people assume little girls want pink all the time, softer colours more like it, soft pale green not dark dull green, they will not sell.
you see rainbow dash is always left on the shelf everywhere i go cos her colours are non appealing to the little ones, they are quite hash.

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Evening_Moonstone

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 11:57:34 AM »
Interesting.  At the Toys R Us and Walmarts near me, the pink ones are the only ones that are left.  Talking Pinkie Pies.  Pink Celestia.  Pinkie Pie.  Fluttershy.  All left over.
Hardly an Applejack or Rainbow Dash anywhere.  Even the FS Lunas are gone, just FS Pinklestias left. And when the toys were stocked, there was an equal number of Lunas and Celestias - but the Lunas have flown off the shelves leaving her pink sister behind.

Don't get me wrong, some gals LOVE their pink.  One of the bridesmaids at my wedding was a girly girl, pink everything, loved ballet, wore flowers and bows in her hair (in college).  But my favorite ponies as a child were Moonstone and Seashell.  I had some Barbies, but my favorites were my Cinderella, Jasmine, and Belle dolls.  I love the rainbow-ness of ponies - there is something for everyone's tastes!  A few male friends love Fluttershy.  My BFF (female) loves Nightmare Moon and Luna.  I love Twilight Sparkle.  A tomboyish friend loves Applejack.  My husband has a handmade Rainbow Dash plush and a McD's Dashie in his car.

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 12:10:26 PM »
when i was really little yellow was my favorite color then it be came pink because i loved power rangers and i wanted to be the pink ranger after that i loved blue for a while now i love a lot of colors pink isn't among them red green blue yellow orange purple black and white all of that can appeal to me what ever Hasbro excuse for so few green ponys they have to admit the adult collectors has become a larger population and when want more verity

Offline amenoo

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 03:16:23 PM »
I agree that there need to be more green ponies. I actually made a Tealove custom for myself, but I sold her at a con.

Adoptable made by me

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2012, 03:36:07 PM »

Well first of all, that paper appears to have shown that women prefer red-blue (i.e. purple) and men prefer green-blue (i.e. teal ).  ;) But the paper can't really disentangle the social from biological effects either.

ehem  :nerdy:

There have been numerous studies showing no sex differences in colour preference of infants - most show that both boy and girl babies prefer primary colours, like blue or red, to colours like green, pink etc.

A paper published last year (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21848751) showed that infants under a year old showed no innate sex-based pink/blue preference, but that the tendency of boys to prefer blue and girls to prefer pink appears around 2/3 years (at the same time that children start to become aware of 'gender', suggesting the preference is social rather than biological).

Another paper suggests that girls' preference for pink is actually a knock-on effect of the fact that most of the toys that girls like are made pink by the producers (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20232129).  An innate sex difference in preference for toy type has been shown (infant girls do tend to prefer babies etc and boys prefer objects/ vehicles).

So by making all the dolls etc pink and the trucks etc not-pink, the toy industry helps create the sex-biased pink/blue preferences we start to see as children get older! So maybe by slowly increasing the number of not-pink girl's toys, we could actually reverse the whole trend!  ;)

On that note, we want more NOT PINK ponies!!!  :newpony:

ps: Sorry for the long post. I'm a scientist so I get a bit overexcited about fact finding.  :blush:

**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 03:40:11 PM »
This talk about colors is kind of an amusing thing to me since I work with colors at my job. :)  We defiantly would consider Lyra to be green at my work... (In fact, we have a color very similar to her color that has the word "mint" in it).

But do remember, green is made up of blue and yellow. ... Green can either be more blue , or more green. Lyra is the greenest brushable we have.

Oh, and as a girl, I did not like the typical green color, nor blue. But I loved what I called "teal". O_o; lolz.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 05:22:07 PM »
Well first of all, that paper appears to have shown that women prefer red-blue (i.e. purple) and men prefer green-blue (i.e. teal ).  ;) But the paper can't really disentangle the social from biological effects either.

I personally LOVE purple and teal.  And as a scientist, we know that studies can say a lot of things that aren't necessarily true or may be skewed by a million variables or may hold bias or or or.  Never trust studies. 

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »
Ling speculates that the color preference and women's ability to better discriminate red from green could have evolved due to sex-specific divisions of labor: while men hunted, women gatherered, and they had to be able to spot ripe berries and fruits.

Honestly, this kind of argument has always struck me as rather silly.  "Women like pink, because they once gathered berries."  Well, what color is raw meat?  Pink! 

In addition, many berries are white, black, blue . . . That researcher was painting her conclusions with too broad of strokes, IMO.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2012, 06:33:36 PM »
Plus if you are gathering your not just gathering berries.  Your looking for nuts, fruits, leafy edibles, mushrooms, and roots.  Most things are browns, whites, and greens.  Red is sometimes a sign that something is poisonous too. 

Offline Souffaloufagous

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2012, 08:57:44 PM »
I have my ponies organized in a rainbow/color fading scheme.  My boyfriend and his friend keep insisting lyra isn't green,   but a green/blue/light-aqua.  I call her "sea foam".
I too, wish there were more green ponies.  And orange, but at least I have honeybuzz!

Offline Private_Bubbles

• Scribbles Pony
  • I'm Bubbles, Private Bubbles.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2012, 10:49:01 PM »
This talk about colors is kind of an amusing thing to me since I work with colors at my job. :)  We defiantly would consider Lyra to be green at my work... (In fact, we have a color very similar to her color that has the word "mint" in it).

But do remember, green is made up of blue and yellow. ... Green can either be more blue , or more green. Lyra is the greenest brushable we have.

Oh, and as a girl, I did not like the typical green color, nor blue. But I loved what I called "teal". O_o; lolz.

I don't own Lyra but I thought she'd be more Snowcatcher's colour, now I can see how green she is, thanks for the comparison pic :D

A while ago (a few centuries or something) pink used to be a boy's colour, and blue was for girls, so it's interesting to see how the attribution of colours to each gender has changed. I know when I was little I loved purple, then green, then purple and green :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal