collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Frustrated  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Frustrated
« on: September 16, 2012, 04:53:05 PM »
It seems at the moment that I can't win any of the nirvanas I want that are on ebay! This morning I got outbid by two people in the last TWO SECONDS of the auction. Argh!

It feels like it's not about how much you'll pay, but whoever manages to sneak in at the last second - and as much as I dislike last second bids, if so many other people are doing it, it doesn't leave anyone who wants to win with much choice but to do the same.

I'm sure my bank account's pleased I didn't win, but I'm not!  :P

What Nirvanas have you just missed out on lately?
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrated
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 05:03:55 PM »
I feel your pain. I seem to lose a lot at the last second or people come in and try to snipe, but the bid is below mine. Then my bids are bumped up really high but not outdone. I guess that's all part of the horrors of Ebay and bidding though. :shrug:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Pythia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 05:11:56 PM »
Our local auction site has a thing where the auction is automatically extended for 2 minutes after the last bid, so it doesn't become a 'who snuck in last' thing. I used to hate it, but now I quite like it, haha!
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 05:20:23 PM »
I am more frustrated trying to buy on the Arena - sales become auctions, people just don't write you back, auctions become "best offers" - so I prefer Ebay at this point. I may get sniped, but at least I know I'm in the running.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 05:30:31 PM »
I am more frustrated trying to buy on the Arena - sales become auctions, people just don't write you back, auctions become "best offers" - so I prefer Ebay at this point. I may get sniped, but at least I know I'm in the running.
I don't do best offers or auctions well. When I participate in auctions I only do it on Ebay...for some reason I don't like doing it here. :blush:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 05:40:46 PM »
I've won a couple of auctions on here, but it makes me so nervous! I have enough anxiety issues -- and oftentimes if they don't respond quickly enough, I lose the "pony fever" and it becomes LOL REAL MONEY again, and then I'm out. :(

Offline blu_clouds

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 05:43:54 PM »
I agree.  I will spend more than on an auction just to use the 'buy it now' feature so I don't have to deal with snipers and staying up late to watch the final moments. 

However, I love buying things here on the Arena.  I have gotten one very rare pony and 2x of my favorites without having to resort to evilbay.  Not to mention the loads of more common ponies I have picked up.  You might have to spend some time searching for what you want, but eventually it will all be sold here!  I love it.  And I only recently started trading...I plan to do a lot more of that for sure!

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 05:46:06 PM »
I have to be honset I dont mind sniping at all, I just place my max bid well before end time and if I get out bid in the last few seconds well thats ok cause I could not pay one cent more than what I bid : )
Also when I do win and see someone tried to
Trademe's auto extend suxs cause then I can way over pay as I don't think just bid

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 06:52:26 PM »
Well, I do try to place my highest bid in the final moments myself, but most of the time I have to use a snipe program because the auction is ending at the same time I'm at work or when I've gone to bed. I understand how it can suck, but how else are you going to get what you want? I really don't understand why sniping is so disliked when it's basically the same as placing your highest bid at the last minute. It's still bidding, just by another server. As for buying on the arena, I don't do it very often because most of the time, the item I'm after is already held for someone else. With auctions here, there's no item number to use to snipe and I can't be here 24/7 checking the status so...

I guess it just depends on how much you're willing to pay for an item.

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »
Having sold *a lot* of auctions in the last year, I've seen the various bidding styles from the other side. By far, bidding at the last few seconds is the way auctions are typically won. Some people like to place a bid, then increase it by a small amount if they aren't "winning", then increase by a little more, bidding & bidding in small amounts until they have the highest bid. That bidding style may keep you as the high bidder throughout most of the auction, but I've seen those types of bidders lose the majority of the time. The third style is to bid the most you're willing to pay at any point during the auction. That style can win, too, but it takes a lot of will-power to keep yourself from increasing your bid if you get outbid early on.

With Nirvanas, these ponies are typically hard to find & there are a lot of people looking for any one pony at the same time, so who ever is willing to spend the most ends up winning, no matter how they bid. It's pretty hard to get a huge collection in a short time, unless you have unlimited funds. :P Part of what keeps collecting interesting is the constant hunt for a special pony. :bigups:

Offline Pythia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 07:13:47 PM »
Well, I do try to place my highest bid in the final moments myself, but most of the time I have to use a snipe program because the auction is ending at the same time I'm at work or when I've gone to bed. I understand how it can suck, but how else are you going to get what you want?

Theoretically, I get it, and I don't have anything against it. In practice, however, it's just incredibly frustrating, haha.

If it all comes down to how much you're willing to pay, then why wait until the last second of the auction? Why not just place your highest bid earlier?

Offline Endocat

• Trade Count: (+43)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 09:27:41 PM »
arh, auctions!  my only gripe is that most auctions are Northern hemisphere and I'm sound asleep when they close.  I love sleep wwaaayyyyy too much to get up in the night LOL!  So I've missed some grand Rainbows lately - but I'm sure they all got wonderful homes ;)

Most Wanted: retro release Starshine

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 10:27:12 PM »
It seems at the moment that I can't win any of the nirvanas I want that are on ebay! This morning I got outbid by two people in the last TWO SECONDS of the auction. Argh!

It feels like it's not about how much you'll pay, but whoever manages to sneak in at the last second - and as much as I dislike last second bids, if so many other people are doing it, it doesn't leave anyone who wants to win with much choice but to do the same.

I'm sure my bank account's pleased I didn't win, but I'm not!  :P

What Nirvanas have you just missed out on lately?

I'll admit, I'm a sniper. I'll also admit I hate it when I get out-sniped by a snipe program. But really, if I put in the max I was willing to pay, it just means someone else was willing to pay higher, whether it was in the last few seconds or as soon as the auction was listed.
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline Pythia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 10:32:42 PM »
arh, auctions!  my only gripe is that most auctions are Northern hemisphere and I'm sound asleep when they close.  I love sleep wwaaayyyyy too much to get up in the night LOL! 

Argh this! I got up at 5am this morning for this one!

Offline Henpatch

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 10:56:18 PM »
arh, auctions!  my only gripe is that most auctions are Northern hemisphere and I'm sound asleep when they close.  I love sleep wwaaayyyyy too much to get up in the night LOL!  So I've missed some grand Rainbows lately - but I'm sure they all got wonderful homes ;)

SO glad it is not just me! When we are asleep - they are all in a bidding frenzy! I have waking up to find I was the loosing bidder with something stupid like 50c! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thank you SDS for my lovely Jumble pony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal