collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Going nuts on the swaps  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
Re: Going nuts on the swaps
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2012, 08:32:10 PM »
I just participated in my first swap and I'll admit I did go overboard. But I didn't do it to make people feel bad :sad: I wanted my first experience to be grand and to make my partner so very happy. I'm like that IRL... I love to give presents to people and make people happy. I've not received my box from my partner, but I don't expect him/her to go above and beyond. It's something *I* wanted to do for my partner and I had a ton of fun buying for her and picking things out, wanting to make her happy. I don't see swaps as a competition on who can give the biggest boxes... We have a budget for a reason and I don't think anyone would expect someone else to go way over budget for them. I don't expect it anyway. I'm thrilled to see all the boxes and to get to know everyone in the swap. I just like to give.

:sad:
Shenanigans, I saw your box and it was lovely! you could tell you put a lot of thought into it. :)
That's the most important thing about swaps for me; getting things I know my partner wants and likes. I know I worry about how my box might compare to other people's- which I know is a little silly. I don't think anyone is mad about this, just a little worried that expectations for boxes might be higher than the budget.
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 04:02:53 AM »
No one should ever feel bad for either spending too much or spending on budget...the only time that it is acceptable to be disappointed is when people spend too little or little effort is made.

Yes, I agree that a lot of boxes either look or are over budget - the key being that most swaps set a "minimum" rather than a maximum. Also with 4 to 6 weeks of shopping time it can be easy to spoil and keep adding little things here and there. Every swap member should be aware and happy to accept that if you send an over budget box you may receive an on budget box. As long as love and thought has been put into that box then hopefully everything will be fine.

I'll admit I tend to overspend but I tend to overspend on ponies and then come in on budget on extras...and I can understand where worry on sending an on budget box but receiving an over budget box could be upsetting. I also understand that sometimes the pressure in a swap to deliver that box which everyone swoons over is tough. The only thing I can offer as consolation is that, for me at least and I think for other people, sending and making the box is often more fun or as much fun as receiving it! In a swap I love getting to know the other participants - friendships are formed and it becomes its own little community a lot of the time. Therefore the gift can be in the giving so people are often more concerned about what they send than what they get. Plus no one - no one - should expect people to go over budget, the budget is there for a reason so people have an expectation level of what to send and what they will receive. Spending more than that is a personal decision - and a lovely generous one - by senders, but not something which everyone should or could do.

I think it ebbs and flows - sometimes a box looks higher value but someone may have sent something from their own collector or got an ebay bargain and sellers on here will also often offer swap discounts to buyers in order to help out.

:hug:
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline EmberBright

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Disregard the Prologue - my blog about... um... everything
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 04:38:43 AM »
I used to try my best to stay in limits, but some circumstances are different. For example in this year's army swap, the organizer let me know that my partner had a fairly disappointing box the previous year, so I went over the top to make up for it. Then there are swaps like the advent swap, where I feel like for most people it is next to impossible to stay within budget because you are required to provide 25 days os gifts on a pretty small budget.

I think pony prices are also getting quite inflated, especially when shopping on a time frame. While it might be easy to be patient and wait for the right pony at the right price when buying for yourself, in swaps we often have to turn to eBay or buy overpriced ponies just to be able to find anything for our partners. So it's very very east to go over budget. I mean it's all very well to set a small spending limit, but in reality, it's often a struggle to get things in under the limit. And at the same time, I shop by VALUE, not by price. Because it wouldn't be fair to my partner if I could only find them one pony because it cost $20 when I should have been able to buy 4 because they're valued at $5 - so then you spend 4 times the limit in order to meet the value of the swap.

Took the words right out of my... fingers. XD  Except that I'm not in the army swap. I'm in the advent swap and I've done a few smaller swaps before. It it can be hard to stay close to the budget, especially if your partner has a small want list or is very picky about condition of ponies.  I know I've already overspent on a few ponies, but I feel better getting them now than waiting to see if I can get a better deal and maybe not having enough to send. As for extras, I don't know how anyone can stay on budget and still have 25 presents to send in the advent swap! Even if you got something from the dollar store for every day you'd be over...

I'm spending quite a bit over budget, but I'm doing it because I want to and it's fun for me. I'm aware that I might get a box that just meets minimum requirements, and I won't be disappointed. I certainly know what it's like to not have a lot of money for extras! If a lot of thought was put into my box, I'll be happy even if not much money was spent on it. :)

PS- If you're worried about other people sending too much and then you feeling badly, I highly recommend the "Just a Little Swap" if another one comes up. It's hard to overspend on extras when you have to fit everything into a 6" cube box, and even if you do, the brags all come out to be about the same size, anyway. It's a fun challenge. ;)

Disregard the Prologue

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 06:38:28 AM »
I try to stay within $15 of the original limit of the swap. it's hard, but I agree a line needs to be drawn somewhere.
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 08:13:22 AM »
I did admit I spent way over my last swap I participated in. Though I do go over budget on swaps. I think it is hard to stay within the limits of a swap. I don't think its all about what I get or give in a swap. I think the main reason why I do go over-budget is I just want other people happy. Furthermore, if I have made one person happy then I did a good job. :)

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 09:21:29 AM »
The swap I am in now is my first ever swap and I know I am going overboard.  Then I get this wonderful package from Shenanigans and I am blown away, and I am glad I am hopefully going to spoil my partner as much as I was spoiled.  At least, I hope they feel spoiled and happy.  And as far as extras go, there are a lot of ways to find them for next to nothing.  Especially when they come from your own collection.  :) 

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 10:37:06 AM »
This army swap is killing me. My partner's pony should NOT cost more than $10 I have yet to find one sell for under the $9 mark. There are 3 listed at over $17 each....

Yes this is what happens to me.  A lower cost pony being sold for a giant price that its not worth and sometimes you have no choice but to buy it if you can't find it at a lesser price anywhere.  Its hard.  I am sorry you are going through this.  This happened to me in a swap last year.  Just really tough.

I went over the top to make up for it. Then there are swaps like the advent swap, where I feel like for most people it is next to impossible to stay within budget because you are required to provide 25 days os gifts on a pretty small budget.

With the Advent swap its impossible to work with that price limit. I won't use the dollar store as I don't like anything from a dollar store myself.  So, yea..over budget on that one. I accounted for that though and it will be my last swap this season.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:41:24 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 10:39:19 AM »
tulagirl...you said what I feel and I only did 1 swap. I would like to see more lower cost swaps and not just for newbies...to get ponies is very limited to me. I do know when it comes to the pony cost its the value...or that's how I have read it. So if I paid $5.00 for a pony but its worth $2.00 I have only spent $2.00.  If I am wrong thinking that...very sorry:)

I just like things to be simple. Long lists and a generalization that swaps are fun. Even if I want Mint pony and to my standards I do not think its mint....I should still say I got a mint pony and be happy:) I have only been in 1 swap and it took my emotional sanity:P

I love them but I like the idea of standard rules. Maybe $2-5 pony spending limit $2-5 on extra limit. I think we are getting so many different people(Which is totally great:) that I think swaps need to be more specific:)
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2012, 10:58:07 AM »
I tend to go over by a lot.  The problem as I see it, is that in Australia it is impossible not to blow the budget and give someone a fair box.  As shipping is stupidly expensive and you have to import most of the ponies.  But also I like spoiling people.  I think the budgets are often a bit silly, $10 isn't going to get you much.  In Australia, it won't get you a single pony. 

I once tried to address the issue in a swap by saying there was no monetary budget as its impossible to be fair like that, instead you had to spend what it would cost you in your country to buy 3 single ponies new from the shops, but no one thought it was fair. 

The other problem I've had in swaps is there are people who join that have really hard to find things on their list.  A puffy sticker may not cost much, but they're hard to find, and so if they only have puffy stickers and expensive ponies, you end up blowing your budget on the ponies because you can't find the stickers.

I personally feel there are a few things that need to be addressed in swaps, a) higher budgets or a budget range, and what exactly that should relate too.  (so no less than $x but no more than $y - but it has to include 1 pony from their wish list or something) b) peoples wish lists need to include cheaper ponies, and b) international exchange rates and pony costs need to be taken into account, it wouldn't be too fun sending a bunch of ponies within America only to receive your box from Italy and the person only being able to buy 1 pony because they cost more there.

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 11:49:15 AM »
@Xeevee  I am right there with you on this one.  The Arena Mods really need to think this over and make standard swap rules for everyone for each level swap they may want to have.  You are so right about everything you said and it needs to be addressed and made the same for all swaps.  So, for instance the realization that  with foreign issues a 10.00 and even 15.00 swap will be impossible for that person, perhaps that swap is not realistic to have unless 2 people sign up from the same area.  I really do feel this can be done, but it will take a lot of planning, some math and serious look at what ponies are selling for now.  I feel that the guide we have for pony values is not very accurate when it comes to what people expect to make off of ponies on ebay.  Yes I agree about the stickers also.  I really think a wanted list that someone sends in should be approved and not just glanced over, but an expert really needs to look at every one of them and decide if they qualify and if not what changes should be made.  Its going to be a huge project, but I feel it will reduce our swap issues in the long run and make things run smoothly as all swaps will have the same expectations for each money level they pick.

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 11:51:24 AM »
ont he questin of swaps i ahve a question. what if you  get partnered with soemone  who only  takes  ponys moc or mob.  or  only does the nirvanna ponys and you couldnt afford to  get them ponys? what would you do int hat case? i know some people are picky and some dont really care as long as its a pony.. lol

also another..   i think if you put a lot of thought  and caring itno the persons likes and wants.  doesnts that  be taken into account?if they  put a lot of thought adn love into the box. even if it sint so big?

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2012, 11:59:07 AM »
I only expect what the swap was originally for, and I've always loved the boxes I've gotten, whether it's filled with extras, a note or my swap pony :) I love to shop, I try not to go too overboard, but that's part of the fun for me. I don't expect others to do it back, but every once in a while they do :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 12:42:26 PM »
tulagirl...you said what I feel and I only did 1 swap. I would like to see more lower cost swaps and not just for newbies...to get ponies is very limited to me. I do know when it comes to the pony cost its the value...or that's how I have read it. So if I paid $5.00 for a pony but its worth $2.00 I have only spent $2.00.  If I am wrong thinking that...very sorry:)

I just like things to be simple. Long lists and a generalization that swaps are fun. Even if I want Mint pony and to my standards I do not think its mint....I should still say I got a mint pony and be happy:) I have only been in 1 swap and it took my emotional sanity:P

I love them but I like the idea of standard rules. Maybe $2-5 pony spending limit $2-5 on extra limit. I think we are getting so many different people(Which is totally great:) that I think swaps need to be more specific:)

I think thats a lovely idea and there are some swaps, such as the Little Swap which clones has previously run, which allows for a small box, small budget and small shipping. Likewise there is typically a low budget Arena swap. However, a pony budget of a couple of $ could be very restrictive on wish lists as very few ponies are in that price range. $10-15 is the lowest amount most swaps come in at.

ont he questin of swaps i ahve a question. what if you  get partnered with soemone  who only  takes  ponys moc or mob.  or  only does the nirvanna ponys and you couldnt afford to  get them ponys? what would you do int hat case? i know some people are picky and some dont really care as long as its a pony.. lol

also another..   i think if you put a lot of thought  and caring itno the persons likes and wants.  doesnts that  be taken into account?if they  put a lot of thought adn love into the box. even if it sint so big?

A wish list like that wouldnt be permitted - a swap host would simply refuse such a list. Most swap hosts should specify in their rules that wish lists must take into consideration budget. So if you are in a $20 swap your wish list cant include Red Roses and Rapunzel. Its for a host to spot this and simply refuse if the entire list is beyond budget.

And yes, a swap box is as much about thought and care of what you partner likes and loves as it is about money. Some of the most special boxes are those where the sender has taken time to consider their partner and added extras which are perfectly suited.
Loa is my love god!

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2012, 12:48:23 PM »
A wish list like that wouldnt be permitted - a swap host would simply refuse such a list. Most swap hosts should specify in their rules that wish lists must take into consideration budget. So if you are in a $20 swap your wish list cant include Red Roses and Rapunzel. Its for a host to spot this and simply refuse if the entire list is beyond budget.

I have been in several swaps and not all of them really check wanted lists very well, you can tell that when you get a tough wanted list.  The other thing to note too is that in some swaps I have been in there has not always been a notation in the rules about only placing ponies of certain values on your wanted list.  Perhaps if this was an Arena Rule it would help.  People are putting nirvana on their lists right here in the Arena and it has been allowed.  I have seen it myself.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:50:29 PM by tulagirl »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2012, 12:57:46 PM »
To address some points. Outside the Arena holiday swaps, all swaps on the Arena are run by individual members. We have set rules for hosts in order to protect members. The individual rules for the swap are up to the host - if a host meets our guidelines then they have been a member long enough and traded long enough that they are able to establish their own rules for their own swap. Its not for the Arena to set guidelines for individual swaps; monitoring participants and the process of a swap is the responsibility of a host. This includes deciding on who joins, posts/feedback/membership duration limits as well as budget and if their wish list is acceptable.

No one needs to join a swap should they not wish to and it is up to those signing up to keep to their budget and ensure they are joining a swap which will permit for shipping considerations. We cant control overspending on swaps - consideration for this is down to individual participants. Some swaps do allow for domestic only shipping requests and some swaps are even country/continent specific but we are an international forum and its down to an individual joining a swap to agree with the host as to whether where they are willing and where they will be expected to ship.
Loa is my love god!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal