collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Going nuts on the swaps  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Daiyuflower

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Going nuts on the swaps
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »
I put a lot of time and effort into my boxes, but the thing is, for most swaps, the dollar amount list is a minimum.  I don't think there's anything wrong with going over on extras once you've reached the dollar amount on ponies.  I just wanted to put together a really special box because it makes me happy, and hopefully my partner will be happy as well. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »
I have a limited budget so I try to be as creative as possible.  Ribbon goes a long way, especially when it's fabric so it can be used on ponies!  I have bought things on clearance and held onto them for a year in order to have the right themed things for a swap.  I have bought candy on sale just because I knew I would need it later.  I always keep an eye out for cute goodies at stores year-round.  I try to buy tea in foil-sealed pouches instead of the paper packaging so that I can toss in a few when I send things to people.  I have a whole basket of things I add to throughout the year and then it makes swaps much easier...  I probably got this habit from my mom.  She and I would buy baby clothes and whatnot from the clearance racks and therefore, whenever there was a baby shower, we'd just open up the "presents tub" and pick out whatever fit the family's needs best. 

I don't have Paypal so I can't buy people ponies from their wishlist - I send out ones from my collection.  :)  This makes the number of swaps I can join very limited, but I do try to have fun with it when I can.  I went a little over  budget on my last swap but the book was perfect for my partner's interests and I didn't include as much candy as I might have otherwise... 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 04:58:49 PM »
I have a limited budget so I try to be as creative as possible.  Ribbon goes a long way, especially when it's fabric so it can be used on ponies!  I have bought things on clearance and held onto them for a year in order to have the right themed things for a swap.  I have bought candy on sale just because I knew I would need it later.  I always keep an eye out for cute goodies at stores year-round.  I try to buy tea in foil-sealed pouches instead of the paper packaging so that I can toss in a few when I send things to people.  I have a whole basket of things I add to throughout the year and then it makes swaps much easier...  I probably got this habit from my mom.  She and I would buy baby clothes and whatnot from the clearance racks and therefore, whenever there was a baby shower, we'd just open up the "presents tub" and pick out whatever fit the family's needs best.

That's pretty ingenious.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 05:02:03 PM »
In the few swaps I've entered, my budget has honestly been all over the place.  I can always spend the minimum but I max out depending on how much I'm working, how much debt I'm paying off, etc.  I remember one swap I entered, my extras weren't big - I know I added ribbon and some cute cheap-ish extras and that was it.  But the box I got was so lovely and so full of stuff that the next swap I entered, I made sure I had more extra cash to spend and I bought a bunch of extras.  I love buying gifts, so honestly that was part of the fun.  And in both cases, I was able to pull at least one pony from my an ollections, so I think that helped.  :)

I don't think it matters how many extras you put in, as long as it shows that you put some thought into the swap.  People will understand that we're all under different budgets and not everyone can afford to buy a whole bunch of stuff.  Otherwise, I would just suggest getting creative, checking dollar stores, clearance racks and just seeing what you can find.  But keep in mind that the swap is supposed to be fun - so I wouldn't worry that much about the extras, as long as you show thoughtfulness.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 05:41:27 PM »
That's pretty ingenious.

Thank you!  It's really fun when I do get to participate in them, though my budget is pretty much one a year - for now.  ;D
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 05:52:41 PM »

I do this too! I also picked it up from my mom. The only difference is she tends to lose the things that she buys lol! She'll be like "Remember that thing I bought last summer..?" Or she find it years later, after completely forgetting about it. I've gotten old christmas and birthday gifts that she found hidden in her closet before..
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 05:59:15 PM »

I do this too! I also picked it up from my mom. The only difference is she tends to lose the things that she buys lol! She'll be like "Remember that thing I bought last summer..?" Or she find it years later, after completely forgetting about it. I've gotten old christmas and birthday gifts that she found hidden in her closet before..

my mom does this too! shes liek i got you soemthign a nd i forgot where i put it.. lol

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 06:00:19 PM »
Eh *hides* I'm guilty of over spending xD I pretty much ignore the spending limit, I don't even know how many times over I whent on my last swap.

But I think if you really didn't feel comfortable getting a severely over budget box when you planned on staying within budget, I'm sure if you just mentioned someplace that you preferred you're partner to stay inside budget they would understand.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Tribble79

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 06:52:17 PM »
Maybe if you are going to go overboard on the extras in a swap, a separate box could be send to your partner. Of course if you are sending to other countries where shipping is expensive, it might not be such a good idea... I wonder if a note could be included on what not to include in the brag thread, and a thank you pm could cover this.... Just so participants don't feel the pressure to spend over the min to spend if they can't afford it.

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 07:05:39 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean
I'd love to do my first custom in a swap (I know it wouldn't be great)
But if I get tons of stuff and I only send out a pony and a few things I'd feel bad :(
My family's budget's getting low due to the fact we have so much to do around the house
to fix up. So I don't know.  :huh:

I send extras when I can! But I don't think anyone should feel bad for not adding them..I have gotten both in custom swap awesome extras and ones with nothing but a note. I loved all equally! I understand if you can not add extras and I think most people feel the same ;3

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+522)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 07:22:50 PM »
Budgets are difficult to stick to.

I'm an accessory lover- you tell me you are too? You get a huge ginormous box of goodies. You don't collect accessories. You get puny box box still fitting the requirements,  but honestly sometimes it embarrasses me...

This army swap is killing me. My partner's pony should NOT cost more than $10 I have yet to find one sell for under the $9 mark. There are 3 listed at over $17 each... I still have 1 month left, but I'm pretty disappointed in the box I have so far.

Basically if the pony I need is already in the trade box I count it "extra" in my own mind and still go out shopping for my partner, so sometimes my boxes are over done other times they are spot on.

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 07:56:19 PM »
I'm someone who overspends on swaps. I have a hard time finding inexpensive ponies, and then I just have to buy everything I see for extras lol BUT, I don;t expect a huge box in return. If you stick to the budget, but put your heart into it, your partner should not be disappointed!
And as an aftersay, I hope a new swap opens soon!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 08:06:23 PM »
I'll be honest.

The last swap I was in? I was very thrifty. I had a huge box packed full, but I read my partners list thoroughly before shopping, and I went to places where I knew I could get awesome stuff for good deals. It looked like I spent a ton, but in reality, I just knew how and where to spend :)

DOn't judge a book-er, swap box, by appearances, people may have spent less than you think they did!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 08:10:56 PM »
Okay, so now I have to worry both about my box being good enough and it being too good.   Can't win. 

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2012, 08:13:05 PM »
I just participated in my first swap and I'll admit I did go overboard. But I didn't do it to make people feel bad :sad: I wanted my first experience to be grand and to make my partner so very happy. I'm like that IRL... I love to give presents to people and make people happy. I've not received my box from my partner, but I don't expect him/her to go above and beyond. It's something *I* wanted to do for my partner and I had a ton of fun buying for her and picking things out, wanting to make her happy. I don't see swaps as a competition on who can give the biggest boxes... We have a budget for a reason and I don't think anyone would expect someone else to go way over budget for them. I don't expect it anyway. I'm thrilled to see all the boxes and to get to know everyone in the swap. I just like to give.

:sad:
My Wish List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal