collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone never expect to get into ponies?  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Anyone never expect to get into ponies?
« on: September 11, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »
I did!

Awhile back, some of my friends decided to get together for the season 2 premiere of FIM and I was invited. I couldn't go because I had work, but I wouldn't have gone even if I could have. I was shocked that my friends (we were high school seniors) liked a show that was for little girls. I used to have some G3 ponies when I was younger but I had "grown out of them" and I had seen an episode or two of the G3.5 show because I have a little sister. So I figured that this was just like every other version of MLP before it. A few weeks later, my curiosity got the best of me when I saw that FIM was on tv. I watched the episode and thought it was okay so I began watching the show whenever I saw that it was on tv. It's a year later and I have over 20 ponies and I plan on getting more. My Little Pony has become my main hobby now and I regret that I didn't get into it sooner.

Did this happen to anyone else? Did you say "I'm never going to get into ponies" (regardless of the generation) but end up becoming a brony and/or a collector?
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
Re: Anyone never expect to get into ponies?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
Yup. I put off FiM for a year, even though several collector friends were really into it and were trying to get me interested a bit. I had seen the toys in stores and I was utterly disgusted by them. I hated their mold and I wanted nothing to do with them at all.

Next thing I knew, hubbs was hogging the computer one day, so I sat down for some Netflix and thought, "What can it hurt?" I started watching FiM and 2 days later I'd finished both seasons. A few days later I bought G4 FS Rainbow Dash and never looked back.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:10:35 AM »
I've loved MLP since I was little and still had all my childhood G1 ponies, but I was a strict "I only love the 80s mlp" kinda girl. I HATED the G3.5 with a passion because it was completely awful and dumbed down compared to the original. I was terrified when I heard they remade it again and put it off for a long time.... after joining the arena, I finally got curious as to what all the obsession about the new one was, I was like "Come on it's probably just as stupid as the G3.5 show". I watched it, and after the first episode I was hooked, grew to love it more and more, even though I do honestly dislike the artwork, I have to admit the acting and the story is great. I won't ever collect the G4 ponies, I will stick to my G1 ponies, but I do enjoy the new cartoon.

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 10:11:12 AM »
I never told myself I wouldn't be into ponies, but I never expected I would be. I mean I had G1s as a kid but hadn't even really thought of MLP since I was like 9 or something. When Friendship is Magic first came out I kept seeing people on other forums I visited with ponies in their sigs/avatars, got curious about it and decided to watch a couple episodes. I thought it was kinda dumb at the time and dismissed it.
Last summer though, I randomly saw a picture of some G4 toys on flickr or somewhere one day and thought they were so darn adorable. I tried watching a couple episodes of the show again to get acquainted with the characters and decided I just couldn't live without having toys of the Mane 6. I walked to the store the next day to see if there were any there and was so happy they had at least one of each. I specifically remember there only being one Rainbow Dash there. The rest history. Now I have shelves of G4 toys and am totally addicted to both collecting and following the show too.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:13:17 AM by 3377345 »

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 12:18:58 PM »
It did come unexpectedly! I'd played with them as a kid (G1) and then sold them when I was about 13.

About a year before I started collecting in 2005, me and my hubby-then-bf went to a memorabilia fair. I spied a Peachy on a one of the stalls and pointed it out to my OH as we walked past saying that I used to have some of them. The stall keeper said I could have her for a pound and I just smiled and carried on walking, thinking what a crazy idea that was! lololol

Just before I got married in 2005 I googled MLP just to have a look and was surprised at how many different ones there were. And lot of people collected them! I bought my first pony from eBay, which happened to be Whizzer with her comb. I then started to buy the ponies I had as a kid and the ponies I wanted as a kid but never got and I have been hooked ever since!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 12:27:03 PM »
Noooooo... as ponies have been a part of my life since I was 2, I could never imagine life without them.  :)

I honestly still haven't paid attention to G4 much.  I watched the intro episode and couldn't really get into it, which is saying a lot as I love Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and PPG.  But ponies... somehow, I just can't see my G1s having that kind of personalities. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 01:29:47 PM »
Noooooo... as ponies have been a part of my life since I was 2, I could never imagine life without them.  :)

Same here. Ponies have always been around so it isn't much of a surprise. XP
I have followed and collected every gen. I'm planning to still do so after G4.

Offline Moonstar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Prancing On Air
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »
Nope, I can't say I ever have. I was given ponies when I was a baby in the 80's (G1 was 'born' a year before me) and I've kept with them ever since. G1 is still my pick of all the gens, and what I like about about G4 is what they have in common.

"The Rainbow of Light belongs here, with the Little Ponies."

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 02:16:50 PM »
As a kid I was a tomboy, I hated anything considered girly and didn't even give ponies a chance. Last year I found out about Friendship is Magic through Memebase and watched it to see what all the fuss was about. I instantly fell in love with the series so my GF bought me the collector blind bags online which opened the floodgates. I've got at least one pony from every generation in my collection which has recently surpassed 300 and I regret not getting into ponies sooner! 

So yeah, nobody expected me to get into ponies (least of all me) what with avoiding the pink toy aisle like the plague when I was young! :P
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline PitterPatter

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Rhinos are just fat unicorns...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 02:21:27 PM »
It's not that I never thought it would happen, more just that I never thought of it. I had G1 had-me-downs from my sister, and remember going to the charity shop with my mum and getting a few more G1s and really loving them. I had the ABC nursery thing, and a show stable type thing too. Then I got older, and sold them all, and never looked back.

I bought one for a project a couple of months ago and was so chuffed with her that I got the urge to get more. Now the rest is two month old history :biggrin:

The biggest surprise though is how much my boyfriend has got into them! At first I think he just thought it was nice I was doing it, now hes buying them from the shops for himself as much as me. He's eager to try and complete *our* 3rd wave blind bag set and quite wants a Shining Armour. We've also started watching FiM online.

It's great collecting MLP though, they really make you smile when you're having a bad day and it's great to share it with my boyfriend and so many like minded people all over the world ^_^

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »
Never happened to me. If it's girly and meant for little girls... I'm automatically in  >_< :satisfied:

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 02:44:04 PM »
I never thought I would get in to FiM. Mostly due to the more... vocal parts of the fanbase. They scared me off pretty well for a while.
But, I was always looking to get my hands on my childhood G2 ponies, and I thought G1s were super cute. So, my love for MLP started there, and then I got into FiM too (I just try to avoid the fanbase for the most part XD ).

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 03:00:09 PM »
Nope not been a surprise to me :) I am all about anything girly and have loved ponies since I was given my first, Cotton Candy, when I was 4. Although I only started collecting properly around 10 years ago or so even then it wasnt too much of a shock to me or anyone around me - I have always and will always love toys!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 05:15:59 PM »
It was a bit of a surprise to me.  I've always been a toy collector but before MLP, it was mainly Barbies and Disney, both of which I still collect.  My first g3 pony was a gift from my best friend and onc I recalled I ad some from the 80s, I was hooked.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 05:18:52 PM »
I'm surprised I keep going back to ponies! I've been collecting since I was young, and though my passion may wane, it keeps coming back.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal