collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 6356 times)

Offline BeefyDia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 11:30:02 AM »
Haven't had too much time to read books at all lately, as I am having my major exams this year :(( But well, one of the many books I'm *attempting* to read, actually is Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh :] I've already watched the movie and it sparked me to get the book and read it  :P

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2012, 12:00:41 PM »
I love him too! but some of his short stories creep me out  >_<
I remember when I first read Rats in the Walls. I was already in my 20s, still I couldn't get much sleep that night because I kept hearing creppy little feet scratching inside our walls :yikes: :lol:

I'm currently reading a collection of contemporary Finnish short stories. but I look forward to finish it soon, so that I can start another book I just bought today. it's The Dinosaur Hunters by Deborah Cadbury, and back in university one of my teachers kept on praising it. I always wanted to read ever since, but it always was too expensive considering I am not likely to have time to read it before I finish my studies. now as I finished I may go and read it, and I'm quite happy I could get it for such a nice price ^^

Rats in the Walls breaks my heart because I wanna talk about how awesome the cat is but he named it the most horrible thing he could after his own cat. Lovecraft, why you gotta do crap like that?

What's the dinosaur hunters about? Am intrigued.
did he? :shocked: I could never make friends with that name, I mean, how the heck does someone name a cat that? :|

it should be (still didn't have time to start reading it, my last two days were spent quite suddenly out of the house for most of the day) about some famous and early 19th century fossil hunters and their rivalry. there were some nasty stories back then. science can get angry once stientists get spoiled by new discoveries and by who gets to discover and name them -.-;
I'll get back to you once I read it ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2012, 10:55:59 AM »
I love him too! but some of his short stories creep me out  >_<
I remember when I first read Rats in the Walls. I was already in my 20s, still I couldn't get much sleep that night because I kept hearing creppy little feet scratching inside our walls :yikes: :lol:

I'm currently reading a collection of contemporary Finnish short stories. but I look forward to finish it soon, so that I can start another book I just bought today. it's The Dinosaur Hunters by Deborah Cadbury, and back in university one of my teachers kept on praising it. I always wanted to read ever since, but it always was too expensive considering I am not likely to have time to read it before I finish my studies. now as I finished I may go and read it, and I'm quite happy I could get it for such a nice price ^^

Rats in the Walls breaks my heart because I wanna talk about how awesome the cat is but he named it the most horrible thing he could after his own cat. Lovecraft, why you gotta do crap like that?

What's the dinosaur hunters about? Am intrigued.
did he? :shocked: I could never make friends with that name, I mean, how the heck does someone name a cat that? :|

Well, first you have to be racist. Then you have to be the kind of racist who thinks it's hilarious to name a black-coloured pet that. You still run into people doing that with dogs and cats today.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Moonracer

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2012, 11:49:58 AM »
About a month ago I finished reading Terry Pratchett's "The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents". I had a great time reading this book - all the characters were really enjoyeable, the plot was interesting and I just love how Pratchett basically took a fairy tale ("The Pied Piper of Hamelin"), borrowing some elements from it, and turned it into a very intriguing story. I can safely recommend it to anyone: Pratchett fans, fantasy fans, and casual readers alike. :)

As of now, I'm currently about to finish George Orwell's "Animal Farm", and after that I'll be moving on to Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird"... having read so many stuff, and being in such a rush for the past couple years, I had little time for some casual reading, and I just need to catch on with all the classics. ;)

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2012, 01:42:45 PM »

Well, first you have to be racist. Then you have to be the kind of racist who thinks it's hilarious to name a black-coloured pet that. You still run into people doing that with dogs and cats today.
:shocked: >_<
racist=no love + pet=love = name a pet something you don't love (quite simplified, but still)? I guess this is something that's beyond my understanding (and I am actually glad it is).
but getting back to the topic, yeah, that story's nice. apart from the name. and the fact that I shouldn't be thinking of it right now, not long before going to sleep. I don't want to re-live that first time I read it  :yikes:

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2012, 04:20:29 PM »
Not much.  I keep picking up books and putting them down. I can't get into anything lately. I guess The Familiars: Book 2. Animal adventure, middle grade.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2012, 12:33:36 PM »
I'm currently reading "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It" by Gary Taubes. It's fascinating and I highly recommend it to those who are frustrated with their weight. It's so nice to know it really has nothing to do with willpower or self-control.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
A Dance of Dragons, haha. Latest GoT book. :D

I'm also about to start Emma! I tend to get to lulls in the GoT books, so I start another book right in the middle of it.

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2012, 09:57:52 PM »
right now im juggling two books, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (loved the movies and was wanting to read the books, finally found the first one at a goodwill) and Joe Abercrombie's The Heroes best low-fantasy realistic books in the history of ever. anyone who likes GoT or (more accurately) anyone who is irritated at how GoT drags, check him out. The Blade Itself is the first one.

just finished 'the Girls He Adored' (cant remember author and im too lazy and sore to look. yay for digging and moving literally tons of pounds of cinderblocks today) very good crime/psychological who-dun-it.

Offline Rosencrantz

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2012, 02:38:32 AM »
Currently reading The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie. Amazon claims it's a Miss Marple mystery, but I'm 60% in and she hasn't shown up yet...
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2012, 05:34:47 PM »
I'm reading Tears of A Dragon by Bryan Davis. It's the fourth book in the Dragons in Our Midst series.^^

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Rosencrantz

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2012, 02:35:24 PM »
I just started 'The Long Earth' by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. I'm a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series and I've enjoyed the sci-fi he wrote years and years ago, so it's cool seeing him do it again. I will say one thing, he's... he's not good at doing tough Brooklyn dialogue. But it's been really enjoyable and I love the concept so far.

Concept: There's our world, and on either side of it is a million other earths, only they've never ever had humans. People can now 'step' to them using small, easily built machines and humanity is spreading out. Joshua, who can step without a machine, is taking Lobsang, a sentient computer program (who claims he's a re-incarnated Tibetan man) to the furthest reaches where no one's gone yet. At least, that's as much as I know where I am! There's also a police officer named Monica who's pretty cool.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »
I just read a good one called "Mockingbird" about an 11-year old girl with Asperger's syndrome (fiction). She must cope with the death of her brother, and learn how to make friends despite her difficulty understanding how people communicate. It's a pretty quick read, and feels like an accurate representation of an Aspergers child without exploiting her condition for some cheap pathos. Not that there isn't any pathos, it just feels genuine.
I'll put something here some time

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2012, 06:27:37 PM »
I am rereading game of thrones.  Though earlier in the week I finished two trashy romance novels. 
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Water_Fire

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2012, 07:54:27 AM »
I'm currently reading 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz. I normally don't read his stuff because the characters drive me crazy (is it just me, or do they seem flawless?), but it's a haunted house story and I'm a sucker for those, so I picked it up.

There is one character called Sparkle though. She's a 30 something mother, and it's not a nickname. Her daughter speaks only in quotes from novels. EEEUUURGGHHHH.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal