collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Best way to store ponies?  (Read 2545 times)

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
Best way to store ponies?
« on: August 24, 2012, 01:46:57 PM »
I have some ponies I'll be storing for a while, and others only temporarily while I get them ready to list in my shop.  I want them to be safe, organized, and easy to get to.  Should I use plastic storage boxes?  Cardboard?  In your experience, what are the best short- and long-term solutions?

As always, thanks for your helpful advice, pony peeps!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
Re: Best way to store ponies?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 02:12:48 PM »
I use plastic tubs (just in case they find themselves in an area with water - like a flooded basement or something) and silica packets.

Wrapping the ponies in white paper towels or white acid free tissue paper is not a bad idea, just do not do baggies as they trap moisture.
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 02:16:49 PM »
I use plastic tubs (just in case they find themselves in an area with water - like a flooded basement or something) and silica packets.

Wrapping the ponies in white paper towels or white acid free tissue paper is not a bad idea, just do not do baggies as they trap moisture.

You're the best, thanks!  I always throw out silica packets when I get them.  Guess I'll have to start saving some up.  I really appreciate the tips, totally makes sense. :)

~Pony Wish List~

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »
i use plastic tubs also,
remember that those silica packs can only absorb so much! a few days in the open air and they are used up
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 03:07:35 PM »
Yes acid free white tissue paper is the best for ponies - it keeps them clean and prevents them rubbing against one another as well which can sometimes mean a colour transfer. You can use bags but if you do make sure to leave them open or punch holes in each corner. Plastic needs to breath and can sweat if stored in a sealed location for too long. Plastic boxes are better than cardboard as OL1 says again to prevent the risk of getting wet [which lets face it in the moment in Scotland everything is wet :P]. But when I store in plastic boxes I make sure they are ventilated. Dont store ponies on top of one another by more than a layer or maybe too as they can press against one another and distort legs, heads and even bodies. Oh and silica packs especially in a country so prone to damp and cold is a great idea too :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 03:45:34 PM »
Yes acid free white tissue paper is the best for ponies - it keeps them clean and prevents them rubbing against one another as well which can sometimes mean a colour transfer. You can use bags but if you do make sure to leave them open or punch holes in each corner. Plastic needs to breath and can sweat if stored in a sealed location for too long. Plastic boxes are better than cardboard as OL1 says again to prevent the risk of getting wet [which lets face it in the moment in Scotland everything is wet :P]. But when I store in plastic boxes I make sure they are ventilated. Dont store ponies on top of one another by more than a layer or maybe too as they can press against one another and distort legs, heads and even bodies. Oh and silica packs especially in a country so prone to damp and cold is a great idea too :)

So in a related topic, is it safe to use plastic bags when posting ponies?  You said it, this is a damp and cold country.  I've had packages arrived soaked before, and I'm always so worried the pony will get wet.  Do you have another recommendation for safe travels?  Oh, and how do you ventilate a plastic box?  Is there a specific kind you use that already has breather holes in it?

~Pony Wish List~

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 03:56:50 PM »
I tend to wrap up excessively in bubble wrap rather than use bags but bags surrounded by bubble wrap is probably a better bet. You dont need to worry for the amount of time they are in the postal system about the bag not being breathable of course even if they are travelling international. However if you are shipping in a bubble mailer then a bag and bubble wrap are a good bet as they protect the pony just in case things do get wet. When they are posted also make sure you dont press anything against the pony - it sounds silly but over the years I have had everything from ponies in plastic carrier bags and the ink has rubbed on to the pony through to lovely notes in the envelope along with the pony and the ink seeping from the note on to the pony.

I just "punch" holes in the plastic box - for doubles and new ponies which I havent sorted they live in a couple of the plastic crates which you can pick up everywhere from Argos to Homebase - and I have just popped a couple of holes in  those - the holes are on the sides at the top so that you dont risk water or similar getting in - they are small holes its just enough so that I dont feel the plastic could all sweat.
Loa is my love god!

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 04:22:42 PM »
As always, Cat, you're a wealth of knowledge.  ^.^ One more question... what do you use to punch the holes in the containers?

~Pony Wish List~

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 04:38:26 PM »
I use a woodburning tool - but thats not something everyone has lying around unfortunately.

I have seen other people simply use a screw/nail & hammer - lay the side of the plastic you are adding the hole to an a surface you dont mind damaging and delicately tap the nail through the plastic - then use a screw to widen the hole, then a larger screw and then a larger screw until you have the size you are looking for.
Loa is my love god!

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »
I use a woodburning tool - but thats not something everyone has lying around unfortunately.

I have seen other people simply use a screw/nail & hammer - lay the side of the plastic you are adding the hole to an a surface you dont mind damaging and delicately tap the nail through the plastic - then use a screw to widen the hole, then a larger screw and then a larger screw until you have the size you are looking for.

I actually do have a woodburning tool, but it's in storage at my in-laws' house in Virginia.  Do you think a power drill would work?

~Pony Wish List~

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 07:12:51 PM »
I don't see why a power drill wound not work :) Just be gentile with it and it should work just fine I think :)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 05:12:55 AM »
I tend to wrap up excessively in bubble wrap rather than use bags but bags surrounded by bubble wrap is probably a better bet. You dont need to worry for the amount of time they are in the postal system about the bag not being breathable of course even if they are travelling international. However if you are shipping in a bubble mailer then a bag and bubble wrap are a good bet as they protect the pony just in case things do get wet. When they are posted also make sure you dont press anything against the pony - it sounds silly but over the years I have had everything from ponies in plastic carrier bags and the ink has rubbed on to the pony through to lovely notes in the envelope along with the pony and the ink seeping from the note on to the pony.

I just "punch" holes in the plastic box - for doubles and new ponies which I havent sorted they live in a couple of the plastic crates which you can pick up everywhere from Argos to Homebase - and I have just popped a couple of holes in  those - the holes are on the sides at the top so that you dont risk water or similar getting in - they are small holes its just enough so that I dont feel the plastic could all sweat.
I would use acid free bags"the kind for comic books" for very long storage, I am not sure ziplock bags are acid free, I do estate sales and dig around in people's attics and basments looking for stuff,  after a decade or so ziplock bags do one of 2 things
1. they dry up and fall into a million pieces
2.they get sticky and stick to stuff to the point that you can't get them off! not what you want to happen to ponies!
so to be 100 percent safe store them in acid free archival quality bags
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 07:51:43 AM »
I plastic tubs! I like the towers with clear plastic drawers as well!

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 08:01:57 AM »
I plastic tubs! I like the towers with clear plastic drawers as well!

You know, I was thinking those towers might not be a bad idea.  Built-in breathability, easy to see what's inside, automatic stacking, and some even come with wheels! 

~Pony Wish List~

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »
Thats a great bit of advice mlpfan :)