collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anthony Bourdain is a brony?  (Read 2599 times)

Valkohai

• Trade Count: (0)
Anthony Bourdain is a brony?
« on: August 15, 2012, 03:00:40 AM »
So, I heard Anthony made a show traveling to Finland..
at some point he started to taste horse in Romanian restaurant..
and mentioned Rainbow Dash and sang a bit of the opening song. O_o

Conclution: Anthony Bourdain is a brony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWwhSdg5lF0&feature=relmfu

watch from 2:54

Offline princessmaker

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Bourdain is a brony?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 04:16:48 AM »
I saw that not too long ago and never thought to post about it since I figured people at the arena would be all over it already. That clip is too funny. I don't like bourdain much, so I rarely catch his show.

I was shocked more by him mentioning RD than him eating horse...of course.
(so very sorry for the rhyme! I couldn't help myself! :) )
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 07:50:34 AM by princessmaker »

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 04:20:25 AM »
That's awesome in a morbid way  :lol: I didn't think he'd have time to watch MLP with all the crazy trips he must take per year!
Avvie By Watercolors

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 06:03:37 AM »
His daughter watches it so he is a fan. He's talked abou it before on talk shows
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 06:38:36 AM »
I suspect I may be the only person left who doesn't automatically think anyone who's familiar with FiM must be a brony.

Valkohai

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:26:49 AM »
I suspect I may be the only person left who doesn't automatically think anyone who's familiar with FiM must be a brony.

i'm not sure how to reply to this. In away this makes me think you think it is a negative thing. But lets face it.. how many dad knows their kids favorite characters name, not to mention, knows their favorite shows opening theme(and be able to sing it even that much?)?

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:31:38 AM »

i'm not sure how to reply to this. In away this makes me think you think it is a negative thing. But lets face it.. how many dad knows their kids favorite characters name, not to mention, knows their favorite shows opening theme(and be able to sing it even that much?)?
Probably any dad that actually spends time with their children... lol

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 07:39:08 AM »

Erm, any dad who watches a show or movie with their kids? O_O If his daughter is a fan he might have seen quite some episodes that way. Knowing the favorite character of your daughter seems quite normal to me too.
So, no, knowing something about FIM (or even being a fan of it) doesn't mean you are a brony.(I know a lot about FIM and i'm not even a brony. : P)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Mapago

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 07:40:56 AM »
My cousin knows the name of all the backyardigans and can say a lot about Dora just by spending time with his daughter, it doesn't mean he's a fan
Sorry, but I'm with Elisto; It shows he recognizes the fandom, but I wouldn't call it "being a brony"

Valkohai

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 08:00:58 AM »
well I still claim that not many do.

and the news was supposed to be funny, not release a debate of, already rather questeneble meaning, bronies. Is or is not we really don't know. And eitherway I don't actually care.. just found it rather intruiting and since people jump to walls when seeing a pony in some backyard drama I thought everyone would be amused about this.

But as this conversation seems to go towards "your wrong about dads" then im gona ditch this thread now. I may take this too personally and I aknowledge im rather upset right now but im honest about it.

I wont be coming to this thread again.. I most likely stop coming for a while too. Have fun

Offline princessmaker

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 08:10:06 AM »
I'm pretty sure you're incorrect about the Dad thing, at least as far as dads in the US go. Also, in many cases, it's difficult to post the words "so-and-so must be a brony" and not have people discuss it.

I saw the same show you did. I didn't see it the same way. In fact, everyone will probably see it a bit differently. It is human nature. The Arena exists for people to discuss topics. I read all the responses, everyone has been pretty tame.

I don't assume that either (besides, you know what they say when one assumes.)

My husband and I watch the kids' shows with them, so he definitely knows the characters from FiM. His favorites? The FlimFlam Brothers and DirtyRich. Does this make him or my 12 year old son (who also watches the show) a brony? No. They are not into and don't want to really be a part of that fandom. Just like anyone who enjoys or watches or considers themselves a fan of FiM is not necessarily a brony. That requires an entirely different level of interest altogether.

Does that mean I find being a brony a negative thing? Nope. My son put it this way, he's been around my pony obsession forever, so he sees himself as being part of it before everyone else with (radio edit) thought it was cool, so he just doesn't get the new found rabid interest by other males.

In other words, he has always thought liking ponies was perfectly normal.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 08:27:56 AM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to totally derail the topic like that. I just meant that MLP is well-known enough that I do expect people to know what it is, even if they're not fans.

I do think it's pretty amusing that Anthony Bourdain not only knows FiM, but references it in his show. I have no idea if he actually likes the show or just knows it because of his kids or for some other reason, like being on TV means he keeps up with other pop-culture stuff. He doesn't seem like the type to seriously like cartoons/animation at all, but I don't know, maybe he does. I'd be surprised is all. I hadn't considered any sort of questioning of parenting styles, but since people have mentioned it, I guess, yeah, now that I think of it, my parents did know the cartoon characters I liked as a kid.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:30:25 AM by Elisto »

Offline Daiyuflower

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 08:46:10 AM »
My fiance watches the show with me, can sing the opening song, and knows the characters by name...but he's not a brony or even a fan of the show :)  He just likes spending time with me so he will watch what I watch. 
I don't think anyone meant to be offensive here, nor did anyone say it's a bad thing to be brony.  If you're going to post something, people may disagree with you, but it's your perogative if you're going to stay away because of that.

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 08:54:38 AM »
let me say something aobut the dad topic here.. lol  when i was growing up my dad watched  all the disney moves with me and watched the  cartoons and everythign adn STILL to this day.. if i say dad  watch a movie  with me he will..  granted i aslo had  him  take me to see winnie the pooh in theathers. he was hte oldest persont ehre adn slept through most of it. but he still watches  disney movies with me.  even at my age.  but ponys..  heh i'm not sure abotu that but he did buy me a pony and he buy s me video games and dvds lol

but as fo rhte topic at hand  who knows..  my mom is attempting to learn pony language  as it were.. but her descrptions of ponys are nto the best.  but she does take me pony hutning.

Offline medleysong

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 12:51:25 PM »
Ahh Valkohai *hug* I don't think anyone was meaning to say anthing negative against you. I think it was just differences of opinions. It could also be a difference in where people live as well. I am not sure in Finland, but in the U.S. many parents watch cartoons with their kids and can get really into the things their kids like. I remember when my oldest sons were small my husband and I got into Pokemon and Yugioh quite a bit just because it was fun to see how much they enjoyed it. We weren't necessarily fans of either show really.

Anyway, that was funny and I hadn't seen it. I have been involved with and collecting ponies since 1982 and I still don't quite understand what makes someone a Brony or not lol. I just think it is cool to see so many people enjoying this line we all love :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal