collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: An idea that popped into my head (G1-G4)  (Read 1257 times)

Offline RavenFeather

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
An idea that popped into my head (G1-G4)
« on: August 09, 2012, 11:06:22 PM »
Ok, so we all know the whole 'Hasbro Lost the Rights/Trademarks' for the G1 pony names.  But while I was at work stocking some new Transformers that we got, I noticed one had the word 'Autobot' in front of his name (Example : Autobot Ratchet).  And I remembered hearing a long time ago that Hasbro couldn't trademark 'Ratchet' so instead Trademarked 'Autobot Ratchet' for the toy.

So it got me to thinking...Why not do something similar with some of the original ponies, but in the Friendship is Magic design?  Make it a ToysRUs exclusive or something, part of that collector line that the white Celestia and the Nightmare Moon set are from.  Have them be individually packaged or maybe in a big pack/3 pack, and call them 'Ancients'.  Like 'Ancient Firefly', 'Ancient Twilight' 'Ancient Posey' 'Ancient Surprise', 'Ancient Sparkler' and ''Ancient Applejack'  and maybe have a mini dvd packaged BEHIND the pony.  Firefly, Twilight and AJ would have 'Rescue at Midnight Castle' as their Mini dvd, and Sparkler, Posey and Surprise would have 'Escape from Katrina'.  Both the uncut versions with the song still intact.

I think that could really work, what do you think?

EDITED to add stuff*

Post Merge: August 09, 2012, 11:23:24 PM

And maybe a big set with a dvd that had MLP the Movie.  And that set would include 'Ancient Wind Whistler', 'Ancient North Star', 'Ancient Fizzy', 'Ancient Gusty', 'Ancient Shady' and 'Ancient Magic Star'.

And maybe a Tales set of 'Ancient 'Starlight 'Ancient Sweetheart' 'Ancient Melody', 'Ancient Bright Eyes' 'Ancient Patch', 'Ancient Clover' and 'Ancient Bon Bon' Since we never got the Tales Pony toys in America.

Or maybe I am just rambling... XD
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:26:09 PM by RavenFeather »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Thanks Bronely!

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
Re: An idea that popped into my head (G1-G4)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 11:38:18 PM »
oh you are brilliant i love that idea, there are always ways to go around things, so there you are :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

TwilightTrixie

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 11:39:20 PM »
That is an awesome idea!  I would love to see some G1s as G4s :)

Offline LadyStarCatcher

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 11:43:43 PM »
Omg! Great idea! Come on Hasbro!

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 01:12:22 AM »
Oh, I have been so out of the loop! Have they lost the right to ALL G1 names? But, but, what about Applejack then? *confused*
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Shimmer

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 01:45:06 AM »
I would love to see some golden oldies officially again, they don't have to have the same name and thus would be eligible for copyright. Most fun would be as you said the ones that Faust based the mane six on. I highly doubt it though.

Katrine: Apparently they only had copyright for Applejack and Spike left.

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:47:12 AM »
Oh, I have been so out of the loop! Have they lost the right to ALL G1 names? But, but, what about Applejack then? *confused*
IIRC, Applejack and Spike (if you want to count him) are the only G1 names Hasbro has the rights to. I think they had let the other names expire and can no longer use them. Don't exactly remember why on the latter, but I think it had something to do with the rights of the other G1 names being taken by others?
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline MnDancer

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 02:54:57 AM »
I love the idea! Not sure I like the word Ancient though, kinda makes me feel old! :P What about Retro?
:art:Pony lover since 1983 :rainbow:

starlightcomet

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 04:29:43 AM »
Yeah I'm not sure about Ancient either though it does remind me of the Ancients from Final Fantasy 7  :lol:
Maybe "Legendary"? Assuming they had their adventures far in the past in some other part of Equestria or long before the current generation of ponies came along. Stories of them could be "Legendary" like Star Swirl the Bearded.
Retro sounds cool too. Retro is always in!
There's a lot of people, including bronies, who'd love a Firefly or Surprise or others that were connected to the creation of the current G4. I think some of the colours on other G1s would look nifty as G4s too.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:35:27 AM by starlightcomet »

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 04:55:30 AM »
That's actually a good idea. I don't really get how a name like "Firefly" can have a copyright to it (it's basically a word) but whatever. Companies ruin everything it seems.

I like some of your examples. Very cool sounding names.

I know I've heard people ask this before, but if they lost the right to those names, how do they use names like Applejack and Cotton Candy?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 06:23:04 AM »
Sure, I'd go for that!  Or even just "Pony".  "Pony Magic Star."  "Pony Wind Whistler." 

Actually, isn't Rarity's trademark "Rarity the Unicorn" and Spike's "Spike the Dragon"?  That's what I seem to remember from G3.  Which opens up another line of possibilities.

"Moondancer the Unicorn."

"Firefly the Pegasus."

"Blossom the Earth Pony."  (Or just "Blossom the Pony.")
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

keikokukien

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 06:32:29 AM »
They already mentioned Moondancer in the FiM show, so I've been hoping for her in G4 form for like forever. :) You have a great idea!

Evening_Moonstone

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 06:36:46 AM »
When I hear "ancient" in front of a name, I think of the "Ancient Mew" card from Pokemon. :)
Like the ponies discovered prehistoric pony cave paintings that tell the tales of a midnight castle and a daring rescue from a monstrous cat... and somehow sea ponies were involved.

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 07:36:32 AM »
When I hear "ancient" in front of a name, I think of the "Ancient Mew" card from Pokemon. :)
Like the ponies discovered prehistoric pony cave paintings that tell the tales of a midnight castle and a daring rescue from a monstrous cat... and somehow sea ponies were involved.
^ This :)

stormwing

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 07:50:26 AM »
Love the idea, RavenFeather!! It's brilliant! What a great way to combine G1s and G4s. I know I started loving MLP back with the G1s and MLP Tales was my FAVORITE tv show as a kid. So including a dvd with the ponies/sets would be the best part! Lots of people would buy it for the nostalgia factor (me included!), aside from just collectors. And we all know Hasbro uses fan ideas, so let's hope they see this and start brainstorming! I know I'll buy every set that they'd come out with of G1s-turned-G4s.

And this is just priceless! Made me :lol:. Maybe they could incorporate the whole thing into the show. Or do a tie-in movie. Or something. Plus, sea ponies. Sea ponies are awesome. That's all that needs said. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal