collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Where have all the Unipegs gone? They became Alicorns!  (Read 7428 times)

Offline RavenFeather

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Where have all the Unipegs gone? They became Alicorns!
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 07:50:48 PM »
I've known them as alicorns for well over a decade, so, no, the definition has nothing to do with the g4 line of MLP. They've been called alicorns outside of MLP for quite awhile.

In fact, until just a couple years ago, I'd never heard the term alicorn to specifically refer to the material of a unicorn's horn and was very confused before I realized what they were getting at. I think it was in an old '80s movie that was on tv.

Would that old 80's movie happen to be Legend?  I'm pretty sure they called the horns alicorns in there!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Thanks Bronely!

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »
Well, in East Asian culture, almost all unicorns have wings. So before this I just call them... "unicorns". I made no attempt to differentiate them from their non-winged counterparts. But now I call them alicorns- it's hard to explain why- maybe I just like the sound of it.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 08:04:18 PM »
I have also been calling them alicorns for a long long long time, well before G4s.  I always called mlp's unipegs, because that was the agreed term, but agreed term for the animal outside of ponies seems to be alicorns.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 08:13:24 PM »
Agreed term?  I'm not familiar with there being an agreed term anywhere.  Where were these used as agreed terms?   online?  I'm really curious! 

My friends and I always called them Unipegs back in the early 80s but I also knew lots of people who called them pegacorns especially when we moved.  Maybe it was regional.  It was only here online that I heard Alicorn used for the animal/pony and not for horn material.  So interesting! 

Offline Aerora

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 08:15:05 PM »
I've known them as alicorns for well over a decade, so, no, the definition has nothing to do with the g4 line of MLP. They've been called alicorns outside of MLP for quite awhile.

In fact, until just a couple years ago, I'd never heard the term alicorn to specifically refer to the material of a unicorn's horn and was very confused before I realized what they were getting at. I think it was in an old '80s movie that was on tv.
Yeah, this! There was a book about unicorns that I read as a kid that specifically mentioned alicorns as winged unicorns. I hadn't heard the term as meaning what a unicorn's horn is made of until the arena, actually.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 08:22:06 PM »
I've always just called them unipegs, pegacorns, or winged unicorns. I've never even heard of alicorn before :blush:
My Wish List

will2Bfree

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 08:29:21 PM »

Would that old 80's movie happen to be Legend?  I'm pretty sure they called the horns alicorns in there!

Yep. :)

Offline Heliodor

• Sorcerer Prince
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 08:30:40 PM »
Time for minds to be blown...as a kid, I used call "alicorns" Changelings because when I played games, they could change between them, revealing their full "alicorn" form in a moment of crisis (the rest of the time might look like regular pegs or unis, although they could go about in their true form too). YOUR MIND IS NOW BLOWN.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 08:56:53 PM »
Actually way back when I started liking Unicorns, over 30 years ago now I never heard Winged unicorn referred to as an Alicorn, I've never heard the word Alicorn used till recently in reference to a WU. I've never use the word Alicorn to refer to a winged unicorn. The only time I saw/heard Alicorn used previously is when in reference to the horn of the unicorn.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 08:59:36 PM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 08:57:37 PM »
I've always called them winged unicorns. Anything else just sounds silly in my opinion. Alicorn just means the horn, to me.
This, I've -always- said winged unicorns or winged unis because
A) That is what they are, Unicorns with wings
B) It just makes sense and people -know- what you are talking about when you say it.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 10:25:19 PM »
As far as I know, Piers Anthony introduced "alicorn" for winged unicorns in one of his books.  Before that it meant "the horn of a unicorn."

These days I go with winged unicorn or alicorn.  I never use pegacorn or unipeg, they just sound "bleh" to me.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 11:33:16 PM »
I've heard the term alicorn at least over a decade ago. Some people use the term avicorn too.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 11:47:19 PM »
I prefer pegacorn. I guess I'm the only one, and admittedly, I can see why because it does sound rather silly, but I like it. I guess I just like the sound.

When I was a toddler, I had a pegacorn fakie (an orange "Pet Star") and one of my earliest memories is my mom holding it up and saying "can you say unicorn?" Growing up, when someone would say the word "unicorn" my mind would flash to that orange fakie. I guess I've just associated the winged horned horse with the sound of "-corn."

Offline Scraleos

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 12:20:39 AM »
I say winged unicorn in real life, but most of the time I say alicorn to avoid confusion.

Trade | Wanted | Pony Plushies

Offline Dragonsummoner

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Of the people, for the people!
    • View Profile
    • Flickr pictures
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 02:12:05 AM »
I've called them winged unicorns ever since I read 'Whisper the Winged Unicorn' because, well because it makes sense.  :lol:

Sig by Sourdoughstomper and Blackestbird. Thank you!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal