collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Zipbags. Yes or no?  (Read 935 times)

Offline Destiny

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Zipbags. Yes or no?
« on: July 22, 2012, 07:44:01 AM »
Okay, my ponies are currently stored in large boxes (plastic) and they're going to be for quite some time still. I'm not really scared of mold or pony cancer since the conditions in Denmark are rather pony-friendly (that's my oppinion anyway and I believe cancer to be a problem with the plastic and not the conditions), but I am beginning to think what if the ponies rub off of each other? I'm not really bothered by it as I am faaaaar from being a picky collector, but I'd like to avoid it if possible so I was thinking maybe I should put each pony in their own zipbag. That however made me think if that might raise the possibility for mold. Again not something that would bother me thaaat much, but I'd really like to avoid it.

So what is everyones experience with zipbags? Is it okay to store ponies in zipbags or is it a big nono?

Any alternate ways to store ponies?
Apple sauce!!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Zipbags. Yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 07:58:27 AM »
No, because it would trap the air.. I think others mentioned that the plastic needs to "breathe". Some acid free tissue paper would work well. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline MoonstoneFluff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • I <3 Ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 08:15:35 AM »
I'll second not using the plastic bags. To avoid rubs i would wrap each pony in some acid free tissue or dye free muslin.  You may also want to throw some silica gell packets or cotton balls in the bin to absorb any stay moisture.  Best of luck!
Formerly known as HelloKuma

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 08:22:12 AM »
I had some ponies stored in plastic bags go hard and all the air sucked out of them! I've also had ink on the bags rub off onto ponies, and of course, any amount of moisture that gets trapped in the bag is going to do bad things.
That said, I've also had to sort and store my ponies, and the large zip bags were the best choice. I put a few ponies in each bag with a silica packet or two- you can find them in shoe boxes at shoe stores. Some of them have been bagged up like that for 2 years and still doing just fine- I squish them once in a while to be sure they are ok until I magically find more room in my pony room to fit them on the shelves.
I agree with the tissue paper- it will absorb moisture, keep ponies from rubbing on each other or the plastic bag, and it's cheap.
Good luck, Destiny!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 08:22:48 AM »
If you are concerned, you an wrap them in acid free tissue paper (white) or white paper towels :)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 09:01:17 AM »
Are ziplock bags ok for short amounts of time? And what about for accessories? That's pretty much how I have my trade box organized, I sort them by what they are and throw them in ziplock bags.

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 09:02:34 AM »
I use zip bags for accessories, but not for ponies, even for a short time. It does not take long to ruin a pony in a baggie in storage!

I will use zip bags for shipping though :)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 09:07:24 AM »
You should be fine with the accessories in the bags but for ponies for a medium to long time then no - weirdly as banditpony says plastic needs to breathe and trapping it in a ziplock bag runs the risk of it sweating which is never good.

I would go with acid free tissue paper, or as OL1 says, even kitchen towels. If you prefer to go with bags then use a paper punch to put holes in the bag so air can circulate but in all honestly its still a less preferable solution than paper.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Attercop

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • ~Art~
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 09:11:49 AM »
what if you put them in the bag but don't seal them? leaving them open to breath but keeping the ponies from touching each other?
~Originally Soull~

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 09:16:15 AM »
Agreed, I put them in baggies when mine were in storage for some time and some
(mostly G3's) came out with some problems. Plllleasssse don't do this to your ponies. White acid free tissue paper as many others have said, stored with random packets of silicone beads do well

Binny

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 10:13:05 AM »
Oh no... I put mine in plastic bags to ship back to my house. >_< They've been that way for like two weeks, they'll hopefully arrive tomorrow.  :(

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 10:16:44 AM »
I heard that putting them in Ziplock bags are alright as long as you clip the corners of the bag small enough for air to go through and nothing can get in. Is that ok? or is that still a bad idea?
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 11:26:47 AM »
If you really want to use plastic bags - get silica gel packets. You know those square-shaped packets that come with shoes or purses that say "throw away, do not eat"? They contain silica gel, which sucks up any moisture in a closed bag. You can buy them in bulk :)

Offline Rainbowjuice

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • /)*brohoof*(\
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »
I only ship my ponies in plastic bags.
They're wrapped individually in tissue paper if they're beig stored away.

Silica gel is marvellous at saving ponies from mood as others have said.
Wanted: G1 Minty & G1 Bowtie

Huge thanks to Ivy for my sig ♥♥

Offline Destiny

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 12:40:28 PM »
Thanks everyone for the fast answers! You've confirmed my concerns of using zipbags for storage, so now I'm definitely going to use tissue paper (Don't know why I didn't just think of that since all my "for trade/sale"-ponies are actually wrapped in that). I actually have wondered if keeping them in a plastic container wasn't a bit like asking for trouble as well. Even though the air is dry. I've always kept an eye on them though to be sure, but I'm definitely gonna throw in some of those silica gel bags. Finally they can be put to some good use. I've never known what they were for and have always been kinda annoyed by them XD I just love how you learn something new almost every day. Especially when it can help you with your hobbies ^^ Thanks again.
Apple sauce!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal