collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: tell me about moving out :]  (Read 2268 times)

Offline rearing_palomino164

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
tell me about moving out :]
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:45:22 AM »
It's getting close to that time for me! Moving out of my parents' house. I know we have older members here, and I'd like to hear your stories of moving out and getting your own place. Any tips would be appreciated too! :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: tell me about moving out :]
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:47:16 AM »
Have you started organizing things and doing reasearch? ^^  I know how hectic and time consuming things can get

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 03:07:40 PM »
Best of luck with your move!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 04:09:50 PM »
It's great.  I hated living with my parents.  The only bad part about moving out the first time was that I had to briefly move back in for a year.  Talk about serious chafing.  Previously I lived with roommates but I moved into my own apartment alone this past February.  I had to buy so much little stuff that I didn't even think about. it was crazy.

Things you'll probably need to purchase/some of the crap I know I had to purchase on the fly.

Kitchen Items:
Collander/strainer
mixing bowl
storage containers
spatulas and other serving utensils
pots and pans
cookie sheet
cutting board
hand mixer (if you're of the baking variety)
measuring cups and spoons
a microwave most likely but generally you can wait on that for awhile
large trashcan,
trashbags
dishwashing soap and scrubby type things
dish rags
paper towels
dish drainer or else you can just use your dishwashing machine
drinking containers like glasses and mugs
dishes
utensils-I realized the first night of my new apartment completely by myself that I'd gone out and bought food but had nothing to eat off of or with.  It was quite the conundrum. Lol.
cutting knives for serious slicing and dicing
a broom and dustpan
mop
ice cube trays(because ice is nice and not all fridgerators are equipped with this handy feature)
water filter jug if the tap water tastes terrible or if you're germaphobic
Pantry supplies depending on what sort of cooking you do. (flour, sugar, oils, powders, etc)
Seasonings
basic condiments

Bathroom
small trashcans-if you have a pet, small trashcans with lids/ grocery bags make good liners for these
towels
toiletries
toilet paper
shower curtain and hooks
plunger-and oh god you'll want it if your toilet backs up, you'll probably also want some matches to dispel any unpleasant odors that might result from toilet drama.
draino (i like to keep it handy because you can never be sure if the pipes of your new home will back up or not.)

Bedroom and furniture type stuff
a mattress and maybe a bedframe later depending on how much you care
sheets
blankets and more blankets
curtains
 A lot of furniture items you can actually hold on for awhile like table and chairs, sofas etc.  A lot of my furniture is hand me down stuff barring the table, bench, and a futon and those I bought after a month or so of moving in.  I still need some proper bookcases but it'll probably be a year or more before I splurge on that.  A dresser would also be nice and a tv maybe.
Vacuum because cleaning is nice. I held off as long as I could since the damn things are pricey.
Febreeze because your new home may or may not have been inhabited by a smoker previously. 
If you don't have the luxury of a washer and dryer in your new place you'd better get used to picking up a roll or two of quarters from the bank or grocery store every month.  along with clothes detergent and fabric softerners.  I actually really love using the washers and dryers in my apartment complex it lets me get three loads of laundry done in 1.5 hours.  You really can't beat that kind of speed.

There's other things too like setting up an account with the power company and the people who will supply your internet connection and tv should you go that route.  That tends to be rather pricey since most require installation fees that even broken up over a few months can still be hard on the wallet.

The first month was really expensive for me between the deposits, rent, buying all these little but necessary items, having to pay start up fees for new accounts on the power company and the cable bill.  I don't regret it though.  I can come and go as I please and it was nice to get to decorate in colors of my own choosing. RAINBOW MAGIC!

You can kick guests out of your house whenever you ready to go to bed.

You only have to clean up your own messes and you can do so in your own good time.

I do find it to be a little lonely from time to time and I miss most of my old roommates.  It's nice to have some companionship about.

If you're thinking of moving in with a friend, my best advice is to choose carefully. Not all friends should move in with each other.  It's difficult to find that equal footing ground of harmonious cohabitation, but that's just something you learn as you go along.

Other things you don't realize are how things like toilet paper and shampoo and stuff are sort of taken for granted when other people buy them.  When you have to start paying for it out of pocket then it really starts to sting.  Toiletry restock day is usually the worst.  shampoo, conditioner, moisturizers, face washes, body wash, soap, razors, hair dye, deodorant, and whatever else you use to make yourself smell good and be clean can equal up to a cringe worthy receipt very easily.  When I drive by houses that got rolled with toilet paper.  I often find myself thinking  "I could have been using that to wipe my butt and you damns kids are just going to waste it on some trees!"
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 04:25:36 PM by elvenwine26 »
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline glory78

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 04:41:07 PM »
Plan on about a third of your income for rent and a third for food/necessities and a third to bank.  That will help you rule out all the places you can't afford pretty quickly.  If you can, get some basic spices from home.  The first kitchen stock will kill you.  Who knew salt was so expensive?!  Seriously, get as much basic kitchen stuff as possible before you move out.  Scour rummage sales and thrift stores.  Ask if your parents will donate some stuff.  Otherwise, a lot of living with other people is trial and error.  I always recommend having a monthly roommate meeting so you can all get stuff off your chests before it becomes a problem. good luck with your move!
glory
Glory78

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »
It can by scary, but it's fun.

My advice would be to make a budget. Know what you're bringing in and spending each month. Don't go grocery shopping without a list. If you have roomates, chip in for a Costco membership, buy in bulk and split the supplies. Cheaper all around for everyone.

And don't forget about renter's insurance!

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 06:22:48 PM »
Great advice so far guys!! Thank you! I'm actually stocking up on kitchen items right now. Just went out and bought more this evening. My neighbor has given me a lot of older stuff she doesn't use anymore and even said she would give me an old couch for free. I'm saving my money too.

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 06:33:14 PM »
My best advice is to move into a place that isn't too expensive so you can save money. My friends/family don't have any breathing room for emergencies, car repairs, you know... unexpected expenses. If they can't do that, how are they ever going to save money for moving out/buying their own place/vacations/college/retirement/etc? They don't, they go into debt & it causes a lot of stress in their lives because they're still living beyond their means by paying too much for rent. My first apartment was 350 tinky square feet. It was worth it though, to be able to save for a house of my own. You might not want to hear it, but thinking about the future is money smart.  :satisfied:
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 07:10:26 PM »
elvenwine has some great advice in her post.  Check thrift stores for furniture as well if you don't mind older stuff.  Also, consider making your own cleaning products - better for your health and saves you money!

Here's a couple of sites with more info:
http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/make-your-own-non-toxic-cleaning-kit.html

Also, make lists when you go grocery shopping and stick to it.  Don't impulse buy.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 08:24:38 AM »
Everyone has a lot of good advice already.

When I moved out, I moved in with the hubby (fiance at the time), so he already had a place pretty much set up. But I know we spent a fair bit (money and time) to get him set up. For dishes, you can usually get a basic 4-set in a box from most department stores (4 each of mug, bowl, saucer, and dinner plate), and a basic cutlery set and cooking utensils.

A lot of towels we had for a while came from when my grandma passed and we cleaned out her apartment - no one else needed towels, and he didn't have much. We were able to replace them when we got married and got a lifetime supply of towels, LOL. We did keep a couple old ones for the pets.

Our furniture is still a big mish mash of stuff, gotten from lots of different places (extra furniture no one wanted, stuff left behind from previous tenants [some wasn't that bad], Value Village). Our couch and computer tables were from a rent-to-own type place. Our first mattress was from there too since we didn't have a lot of money to drop on one.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 05:21:43 PM »
Thanks so much guys! :]

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 06:52:19 PM »
It was pretty easy for me.  I was already half living out of my parents house when I was in college (even though my dad funded my teeny apartment and I spent summers and other breaks at home).  When I graduated, I just moved my stuff in with my husband (then my fiance).  It was sort of gradual I guess.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 04:53:42 AM »
I moved out at the start of the year into a studio apartment attached to my landlords' home. It wasn't until I was single and my landlords went away for a weekend that I realised that I really dislike living completely alone. I do like living out of my parents' home but being totally solo isn't comfortable for me. I also find it a bit isolating and when I visit my parents' house for the weekly roast, I talk my mum's ear off as I don't have anyone to talk to on a daily basis since my relationship ended.

The most important thing is to have a budget and stick by it, even if your favourite store has a sale or your grail pony is on eBay. Don't live beyond your means, try not to accumulate debit and remember that you don't need brand new and all matching furniture and things for your new place. There will always be time to update and expand what you have and I found the first month the hardest financially as I needed things I didn't realise I would need.
Follow me on Instagram: @theponiesiownies
Most wanted: Nursery Families white bathtub.

Stroggos

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 05:49:19 AM »
The most important thing is to have a budget and stick by it, even if your favourite store has a sale or your grail pony is on eBay.

Amen.

I've been living in my own apartment now for I think about 4 months and climbing out of debt inch by inch.

My best advice is to cook everything from scratch. It's so much cheaper. Packed lunches at work also.

That being said you have to live like a human. So I'm not averse to buying new threads, new ponies if they are reasonably priced, and second hand furniture, a gym membership, too (not being able to afford to work out properly was really damaging for me in the long run).

I think the best distinction between knowing what to spend and what not to is whether it affects your quality of life in a big way. If not buying it means no real loss then you probably don't need it anyway.

I enjoy living alone a lot, I feel much more secure and confident being in control of my surroundings. That being said I would love to afford and be allowed a cat for companionship.

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 06:53:01 AM »
still working on it, just need more money!!!!!!!
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal