collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: tell me about moving out :]  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Re: tell me about moving out :]
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 06:58:09 AM »
One thing that really helped us was getting free items from family members to use in our home. We got a few pots from an aunt, a microwave and kitchen table from a grandma, a few sheets and towels from a mom. A co-worker was selling a couch and coffee table for $100, so that was a good cheap deal.

Freecycle.org is a GREAT place to use to find free things that you need. I got a 28inch  TV for free using my local freecycle. Also some stuff for my cats.

January Joy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 10:36:32 PM »
Thank you for posting this thread, there is a lot of great advice here that I will be following once I am able to find a new job (just got laid off  :huh:) and save some money.

I had been working retail for two years while living with my mom, but I was basically forced to help with bills or else we would lose our house. She's not very good with managing money. I didn't mind it, but between having to help keep our house, and having to buy my own stuff, there was no savings left. Alternatively, if I refused to pay, my mom would call up my dad and scream that she's kicking me out, and how I'm a horrible person and whatnot. My dad has plenty of money but won't help me out with anything unfortunately, so there's no one to give me that extra "push" into a place of my own. I also don't have any friends I could live with just until I get on my feet.

Essentially, I just feel very trapped. Has anyone ever dealt with a situation like this before? How did you deal with it? :)

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 02:47:31 AM »
You've gotten great advice so far. I would add that lists are a lifesaviour in the beginning. Lists of everything you need and what you're willing to spend on it. I had sections for kitchen, bedroom, livingroom and bathroom and what I needed in every room and what I was willing to spend on every item, with a total in the end. It was a great feel to mark things of and add a lesser sum than I had thought out. If I saved ten SEK on a spoon, I knew I had ten SEK extra to spend on something else that turned out to be more expensive.

Also, if you do a budget, make it larger than you think you'll need, because there are a ton of extra costs you never think of in the beginning and it's a chocker to realise the budget is too tight.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 04:07:40 AM »
i had a thought! you will need a first aid box (plasters/bandaids and such) there is nothing worse than cutting yourself and not having a plaster or cream in the house!

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 05:50:07 AM »
just had our tenency agrement in the post today for the new rental house so put all the important things in one box (kettel tea/coffee all the essentials) and right what it is on it and where it goes eg dvds cd  living room ect xaflamex

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 07:38:43 AM »
Light bulbs. If you blow a globe at night and don't have a spare you are stuffed. Try having a shower by candlelight in a room with no windows. Impossible!
Follow me on Instagram: @theponiesiownies
Most wanted: Nursery Families white bathtub.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 11:05:52 AM »
I am perhaps not the best example - I moved out to the big bad world and had a wonderful time but after my dad passed away I moved back home. So now I keep a flat of my own near work for most of the week and come home to my mum over the weekends in order that she can stay in her home :)

I think some of the advise here is amazing and sometimes the best way to think it through is to speak to the people whose house you are moving out of - in this case is it your parents? They will know you, hopefully pretty well :), and they ll know what you need more than anything else. You can go through lists and follow website advice but sometimes its the silly things you overlook.

I remember when I was moving out my mum gave me a box when I left and it had in it fancy long handled desert spoons - it sounds silly but I was always fussy about this kind of thing and a nice dessert was always a nice comfort after a tough day - she knew exactly what I would not have thought of and exactly what I would need when I was in a flat by myself without the comfort of family immediately around.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 09:50:58 AM »
I can't wait!  But, I need a job first.....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal