collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sea Wees/Honey Hill Bunch  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
Sea Wees/Honey Hill Bunch
« on: July 08, 2012, 05:53:26 PM »
Hiyas!

I'm not sure if these would be "dollhouse" enough, but I figured to give it a try. 

I was cleaning up part of the basement (ah, basements) and I found two of my old SeaWees dolls, and most of the old Honey Hill Bunch soft dolls.  I just washed the SeaWees' hair and combed through with conditioner (à la pony), and while one has sort of bluish discolourations on her face that make me think maybe mold discolourations from within, the other looks pretty darned good.  I've no clue how to proceed with the Honey Hills, however, and if anypony has suggestions for either the seawees or Honey Hills,, I'm happy to hear 'em. ^.^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
Re: Sea Wees/Honey Hill Bunch
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 05:57:58 PM »
OMG I had so many Sea Wees when I was little.  I mentioned something about them when I was in high school and no one had ever heard of them, and I was convinced they never existed and I'd imagined them.

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 06:24:20 PM »
 :lol: I know what that's like.  What I've loved about getting back into toy collecting is getting those prods to my memory that remind me about stuff I used to have.  Like Fisher Price adventure people, and even some of the really really old FP babies toys... I'm thinking of an old bowling-ball like ball with swans and rocking horses in that chimed when it moved...

Anyway, you're not hallucinating, or if you are, it's pretty potent, 'cauz I have two of 'em looking at me right now.

Sandy (pink tail) there has blue kinda over her left eye and on the left of her nose, but Shelly is pretty clear-skinned (no zits, :lol:).  I remember having had Coral too, and there was bright red dolly hair in Shelly's hair, so I'm prolly remembering ok, but no Coral could be found at this time. :(

If I have time tomorrow, I may post pics of the Honey Hills for fun.

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »
I remember Sea wees:) I've never heard of the Honey Hill Bunch though... *goes off to Google*

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 06:45:27 PM »
:lol: I know what that's like.  What I've loved about getting back into toy collecting is getting those prods to my memory that remind me about stuff I used to have.  Like Fisher Price adventure people, and even some of the really really old FP babies toys... I'm thinking of an old bowling-ball like ball with swans and rocking horses in that chimed when it moved...

I know *exactly* what toy you're referring to.  I remember playing with one when I was small (not sure if it was mine or not).

I had the pink sea wees and the blue ones.  They used to come with a big one, a baby, and a floaty sponge with holes, right?

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 09:35:20 AM »
As far as I can tell by Google and all that, I must've had the first year SeaWees, cauz mine never had the baby mermaids.  They started packaging them with babies a year after, from what I've read.  They did have a foam/spongey lilypad and a comb, if I recall correctly... and I had a blue one with orange hair in addition to the two I've left.

They used to play with my sea ponies. ^.^  Those were the days!

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 09:37:01 AM »
Aw they are gorgeous! Squeee! New passion!

Offline daydreamwinn

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »
If you're wondering about how to clean the Honey Hills, they would probably be ok to put in the washer on cold and then let air dry.  If you have a garmet bag or even a pillowcase tied off at the top, that would be good to put them in so they don't get lost.  The hair may need conditioned afteward to finish the cleaning process.  :)

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
@ icecrystalline:  Thanks! ^.^  I do wish I could find Coral, though.  I'd always wanted to be a redhead so she was my fave...

@ daydreamwinn:  Thanks for teh tip about washing the Honey Hills!  I'll give it a whirl tonight; I have to wash clothes for work anyway... yay, laundry... :razz:

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 08:29:32 PM »
Ponies will always be my main collecting passion, but I've branched out a little.  I bought some Sea Wees from a flea market seller.  They've all been played with but are in pretty good condition.  I remember having Frosty, her baby Flo, and pet Penny Penguin when I was little.  They did come with sponges that had holes so the dolls could float in them.  They were really cute and well-designed!  The style looks a bit like old 1970's anime to me.

When Kenner ran out of new ideas for Sea Wees, they started on their "cousins," the Shimmers.  These were the same idea and had a similar design, but only some of them were mermaids.  The others were centaurs and other hybrids with deer, birds, or butterflies!  They were really cute!

The Ghost of the Doll site has good info on both Sea Wees and Shimmers, if you're curious.

I was super lucky to find an MOC Shimmer, Marina, at a flea market last year for only $3.50!!  The card actually said "350" and I remember wondering if the seller was trying to get $350, or if I would luck out and be able to grab it for only $3.50, lol!  Fortunately for me, it was the latter one!  I was originally planning to sell her for pony money, but I liked her so much, I decided to keep her.  I had liked Shimmers a lot when I was a kid (loved the commercial too) but had never had any.  Then one thing led to another, and now my Shimmers collection is nearing completion.  I snagged MOC Clover for only $20 shipped from a poorly labelled Ebay auction, then bought mint decarded Meadow from a member here.  A few weeks ago I won an Ebay auction for 5 decarded adults, plus an extra for trade.  I just bought combs for all my loose ones, and I've got two (maybe three) more babies on the way.  Here's a group pic of what's arrived so far:

If anyone else collects these, I have an extra Sunstreak for trade (or maybe sale).  She has her original shawl, and her hair is still in the original topknot, though it's a bit crooked.  I also have an extra mermaid Baby Flutter.

Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 09:42:43 PM »

I know *exactly* what toy you're referring to.  I remember playing with one when I was small (not sure if it was mine or not).

I had the pink sea wees and the blue ones.  They used to come with a big one, a baby, and a floaty sponge with holes, right?

My grandmother use to have one of those balls! I kinda want it for my (eventual) kids, but I doubt that will happen >.>

/offtopicness

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 05:09:02 AM »
When Kenner ran out of new ideas for Sea Wees, they started on their "cousins," the Shimmers.  These were the same idea and had a similar design, but only some of them were mermaids.  The others were centaurs and other hybrids with deer, birds, or butterflies!  They were really cute!

I'd completely forgotten about Shimmers, and had no idea they were related to the Sea Wees, even though I had several of the deer.

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 04:52:36 PM »
@ kellyponyfeathers:  Wow, those Shimmers are gorgeous!  I think I may have to track down a centaur or a deer-hybrid one.  They're just beautiful!  You have a great collection going there. ^.^

@ everypony:  I finally got 'round to taking a photo of the Honey Hill Bunch dolls.  I know I have their dog somewhere (he's a big ol' barrel of a Saint bernard) but I couldn't put my hooves on him for the group photo.

They all need to be cleaned and such.  I'm a little leery of putting them through the washer, 'cauz their heads are kind of like the Sea Wees, vinyl (I guess?) with rooted hair, and I'm concerned that water might stay in and start mold inside.  Their bodies are soft like rag dolls - I always used to like the Velcro tabs on their hands, neat trick for holding on to accessories and stuff.

Any cleaning suggestions welcome (or tricks to avoid mold following a good washing machine bath!). ^.^

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 06:34:54 PM »

If anyone else collects these, I have an extra Sunstreak for trade (or maybe sale).  She has her original shawl, and her hair is still in the original topknot, though it's a bit crooked.  I also have an extra mermaid Baby Flutter.

Wow, that's a great collection there!  I've got a couple of the babies that were mine when I was young, and I have Meadow :heart:  I'd LOVE to collect them, but I can never find them on eBay.  I'm totally jealous of everyone who finds all this awesome stuff at flea markets, lol.

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 07:33:48 PM »

Wow, that's a great collection there!  I've got a couple of the babies that were mine when I was young, and I have Meadow :heart:  I'd LOVE to collect them, but I can never find them on eBay.  I'm totally jealous of everyone who finds all this awesome stuff at flea markets, lol.

Thank you!  Yeah, ponies are my main passion, but I really do like the little Shimmers and Sea Wees too.  I think I'll post a brag pic after my new babies and combs arrive.

I'm thrilled with my new loose adults, especially because they have their skirt/shawl accessories, and their hair is still in the original style.  Seaquin and Sunstreak even have their (almost invisible) hair nets!  The topknots for Plume, Wind Belle, and Skylite had come a bit loose (Skylite's was actually falling apart).  I spent HOURS restyling them into their original buns, trying to wrap the hair the way that it "wanted" to go so that it would all look original.  It was worth it and I'm really happy with the way they turned out; they look like they're straight out of the package, but the buns are all secure now, practically every hair in place.

It's funny that you're having a hard time finding them; there are always quite a few on Ebay.  Try searching for "Kenner Shimmers" because you'll pull up all kinds of other stuff if you just type "Shimmers".  They're often listed with Sea Wees too because they're so similar.  And ChipsteRJ here has a nice Skylite with comb available for sale/trade (that's the yellow and teal butterfly girl); I just bought the baby, Glider.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal