collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: In another 20 years- where do you think MLP will be?  (Read 4650 times)

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
In another 20 years- where do you think MLP will be?
« on: July 05, 2012, 10:52:03 AM »
This is always a thought I've pondered, so I'm curious about the arena's opinion. n-n

Imo, it could go anyway. It could still be striving, or long gone.

Also, how do you think rarity (the actual word, not Rarity herself  :P ) of g1, g2, g3, and g4 will be? Keep in mind, at this time, g4 is g1 to them. xD What ponies do you think will be the rarest? And the most common to find?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:56:01 AM by Las-Pegasus »

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: In another 20 years- where do you think MLP will be?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 11:00:08 AM »
Hmm, in 20 years we may see 2 or 3 new generations. I don't know if G4s will be incredibly rare since there are so many of them, but I think the Europe exclusives will be sought after. I love G4s but I'm also excited to see what G5 will look like :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »
Considering that Hasbro has been able to make money of the My Little Pony linefor almost 30 years now I don't think they will end it anytime soon. And definitly not with so many collectors around (and much more joining now with the FiM show). I mean, how many of us will ever get tired of and stop buying MLP's? :P 
So I think there's a very high possibility that MLP's will be around in 20 years time.

As for the rarity of the different generations I do believe that the G1 line always will be the most rare one. When the G1 line were around there weren't many actuall collectors and therefor they were only just bought as toys, nothing else. While the other generations (at least the 3rd and 4th) are beeing bought by collectors which means we buy alot of them, we keep them in their boxes and in as good condition as we can. Which means it wont be hard to come by ponies from those generations nor will it be hard to come by ponies from those generations in excellent condition.

Those are just my thoughts tho, we'll have to wait 20 years and see xD
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 11:03:09 AM »
I could see G1s being around still- because there is a collector community now, and eBay would be popular because of collectors have decided to drop the hobby. G2s will probably be harder to find, I think (they might increase in popularity then decrease and become htf again). G3s will be like G1s are now, and I am unsure of G4s still since they are so new. Either they would be less sought after because the brony fad would fade away, or they may retain their desirability because they are cute and tiny compared to the past generations, and maybe even future gens (who might be designed to be bigger).

This is all just intuition for me of course. ^^

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 11:04:14 AM »
Still going as strong as they have been for the last 30 years :)...the concept of little girls liking ponies is not a new one in the last few years and not even a new idea when MLP was first created...unless little girls the world over [or at least in countries where MLP is sold] have a pretty dramatic change in perception and character I still think such toys will continue to appeal.

Childhood in the 80s is dramatically different from childhood in the 10s but this toy line is still just as popular as it ever was before. Not everything has to change drastically just because the world around it does. Sure the line will have ups and downs and some more popular than other incarnations but I have confidence in it :)

As for who will be the rarest in 20 years - the G1s of course. And the most common, whatever generation :P we are on - G6 or G7!!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 11:09:33 AM »
When the G1 line were around there weren't many actuall collectors and therefor they were only just bought as toys, nothing else. While the other generations (at least the 3rd and 4th) are beeing bought by collectors which means we buy alot of them, we keep them in their boxes and in as good condition as we can. Which means it wont be hard to come by ponies from those generations nor will it be hard to come by ponies from those generations in excellent condition.

With future generations of MLP means possible new young collectors who grew up with them. They might take an interest in the G3, G4 instead of mostly the G1 or G2 generation. So maybe they will be more desired at least..? Who knows :P

(Actually, I am changing my opinion- I think G3.5s will still be least popular) XD

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 11:17:45 AM »
When the G1 line were around there weren't many actuall collectors and therefor they were only just bought as toys, nothing else. While the other generations (at least the 3rd and 4th) are beeing bought by collectors which means we buy alot of them, we keep them in their boxes and in as good condition as we can. Which means it wont be hard to come by ponies from those generations nor will it be hard to come by ponies from those generations in excellent condition.

With future generations of MLP means possible new young collectors who grew up with them. They might take an interest in the G3, G4 instead of mostly the G1 or G2 generation. So maybe they will be more desired at least..? Who knows :P

Oh yes, absolutely :) The generation you fall for first (or grow up with) will most likely be the one you desire the most overall.

What I ment was that I think there will be overall more ponies in circulation (and in better condition) of the G3's and G4's than of the G1's in the future. This becase these generations were bought by children and collectors alike, not just by kids as the G1's mostly were.

But it's definitly all about supply and demand. And who knows, in 20 years time the demand for G3's might be so big that all the ponies of that generation that are in circulation won't be enough. Will take a while to find out :P
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline RavenWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 12:48:26 PM »
I suppose its to much to hope that in twenty years I'll be able to just walk over to my "replicator" and program it to replicate any MLP I want or can dream up. :) (Replicator = Star Trek reference. ;) )

I'd think that MLP would still be around, but will probably have very different characters as Hasbro doesn't seem to be able to hold on to name copyrights, oh except for Applejack and Spike of course, they'll still be around. I think we will have several versions by then, all different, but with each generation they will go through the usual pattern of: Normal sized MLPs - Thin MLPs - Normal sized MLPs - Small MLPs - Normal sized MLPs - Probably small/thin MLPs - Normal sized... etc lol

I agree with G1 and most likely G2 being the rarest, not only because they where the oldest but because as its been said there weren't to many collectors back when they come out. But then again as they now have collector status and efforts are being made to preserve them, they might be more common. G3s on the other hand seem to be displaced by G4s and most people are dumping G3s in favor of the G4s. and since the mentality is that there are plenty of G3s customizing is perfectly fine combined with their current low value both monetary and collectability wise I'd imagine there is little effort going on to preserve them. They might very well end up being the hard to find ones. Whether the nostalgia factor kicks in in time to save them the way it did G1s and then G2s is anyones guess. I would imagine we will see the pattern repeated with each new generation.

Boldly going where no pony has gone before...

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 07:42:37 AM »
In 20 years, I predict everything will be digital! That's the way it's going now anyway... :P So ponies will be little holographic images you project from your computer screen or your cellular phone. They will be like little tomogachi pets but in 3D, running around the kitchen table while your parents are trying to hold a conversation, and you have to push a button on your phone to 'feed' or 'clean up' after them when they make a mess. XD

Actual physical toys will be "totally lame" in 20 years, so the G1-G4 will be super rare! People will go to pony cons just to look at them on display and remember what it was like when you could actually hold your childhood toys in your hand and not just see them running around your computer screen (or kitchen table).

Yeeeaah I'm sure it'll be just like that! *nods, wanders away, distracted by shiny object*
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline sweetstuff

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Did someone say ponies?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 07:54:13 AM »
Digital ponies , now there's something. :)

I'd say G1s and G2s will be hard to find. I'd like to think that G3 will be as popular with the adults then ('cause I'll be OLD) since it was their childhood generation.

As for G4.... I'm not sure. I just am not sure the toys will be as popular since the big deal is over the show and so all these ponies that are being marketed because they are "popular" may not be  since they won't be "the thing" anymore.
----

I'd like to hope Hasbro keeps them around. I would like to have ponies for my grandkids :)

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 08:00:52 AM »
I will be so excited to see!

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 08:13:06 AM »
I imagine we'll still be seeing MLP!  Hey, we've been seeing various incarnations for almost 30 years, so I imagine we'll be seeing more incarnations.  As for the rarity of previous gens, I imagine that it will be pretty hard to come by G1's.  And I bet my bottom dollar that buying a MOC G1 will be next to impossible in another 10-20 years :( 

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 09:53:15 AM »
I don't know what the future will hold.... but I'll be waiting for it, holding my ponies!  :D
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 09:59:55 AM »
Hmm, in 20 years we may see 2 or 3 new generations. I don't know if G4s will be incredibly rare since there are so many of them, but I think the Europe exclusives will be sought after. I love G4s but I'm also excited to see what G5 will look like :)
I'll give it 3, perhaps with a short downtime/popularity crash period between as seen in the case of G2 due to a short shift of interest.

I just am not sure the toys will be as popular since the big deal is over the show and so all these ponies that are being marketed because they are "popular" may not be  since they won't be "the thing" anymore.
This is what I pictured, and what I picture that will cause the downtime/popularity crash period.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:16:57 AM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 02:19:21 PM »
I agree with the technology....I could totally see a game out there that has MLP style animation where you get to take care of a pony and have a world to explore....kind of like Facebook games...but more exploring...in a way like Animal Crossing or World of Warcraft...in style no ponies fighting each other:P

I could see G1's becoming harder to find...and easy. I can see a lot of collectors giving up and sending more into the world.

I can also see a MLP Museum or some kind. With the FiM I think we can start seeing a tour of History of MLP:P I would totally help run and set one up if anyone is interested:) hehehehehe It would then become the birth place of the MLP Fair:)

I can see G3 becoming more popular and sought after....its the most popular custom that I see and I think soon we will see them in shortage:)

If we do loose the show Fim I think we will loose the toy line. I look at the ending of the pony show for G1 and the Tales...the toy was not made till G2. I do not recall a G2 show...nor remember the G2 lasting very long. Thats part or my thought on why a show is the only way toys work most of the time:) G3 had shows and they came out close to the anniversary year. So they had help by the G1s to really grow as they did. So I see another cartoon in a more CG style(not a huge fan of) for a G5.

If the male population will stay with the pony line I could see more of an epic style of cartooning...similar structure to anime.

Sadly I can see the arena being a split site...or having side sites....more designed for certain generations. I hope that doesn't happen:)
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal