collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: In another 20 years- where do you think MLP will be?  (Read 4649 times)

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
Re: In another 20 years- where do you think MLP will be?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 05:43:26 AM »
I think since g4 has been extremely successful, it will continue on for about another 10 years, with the show having about 7 seasons. In order to make as much money as possible, the toys will mostly be targeted towards bronies, and hasbro will lose its interest in little girls as the target demographic.
Well, if Hasbro decides on that, good luck to them. I foresee myself stopping purchase of G4s completely and start focusing on G3s and maybe even G3.5 if they announce that they're forsaking the toddler and little girls market for bronies. My G3 engines are already mobilized, and G3.5 is next.

Seriously, I cannot see it lasting that long. There's just too many variables and obstacles. Nor can I see Hasbro taking the risk and forsaking little girls and toddlers, too risky a move.

It may sound really strange and bizarre, but I think that in 20, 30 years time, once the technology advances some more, they'll be interactive robo-ponies. :D
Mmm, yes. Robo-ponies *glares at FurReal Friends Butterscotch that's standing a few feet away, then at Sing and Dance Pinkie Pie* Hasbro has the tech. It didn't sell well last time they tried I think. Maybe the world isn't ready for them yet, but would be more accepting of them in 20 years time. (plus, these ponies weren't cheap when I bought them)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 06:35:36 AM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Bag of Magic Food

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 07:21:36 AM »
I can't imagine what new pony shape they'll want to try, seeing as all the cartoon fan will probably stay attached to the Lauren Faust style for quite a while, so if the Hasbro execs are smart, they won't make any changes as drastic as G2 or G3.5 for a long time.  But I still like my idea that when the current version of Equestria fizzles out, the stories of the next generation of ponies will read like a parody of Generation 1: A smaller tribe of ponies versus the untamed wilderness full of magic and terror, in a surreal adventure serial where anything can and does happen.  They could bring back black outlines and choppy motions for that classic effect, and maybe even have a blustery narrator trying to explain how everything's supposed to make sense.  I know Barbie just came out with a cartoon series that makes fun of its own franchise, so I could see My Little Pony going even more tongue-in-cheek with its storytelling.

Moonracer

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 05:49:30 AM »
It may sound really strange and bizarre, but I think that in 20, 30 years time, once the technology advances some more, they'll be interactive robo-ponies. :D
Mmm, yes. Robo-ponies *glares at FurReal Friends Butterscotch that's standing a few feet away, then at Sing and Dance Pinkie Pie* Hasbro has the tech. It didn't sell well last time they tried I think. Maybe the world isn't ready for them yet, but would be more accepting of them in 20 years time. (plus, these ponies weren't cheap when I bought them)

I was thinking something on the lines of Furby, only, should we say, 20% cooler (heh). Like for example an interactive robotic friend that walks, talks and so on. Also, pegasi could have a limited flight capability, and unicorn can project holograms through a small processing unit located inside of their horn. Also, in case of unicorns, you can link them through USB with devices such as computer, tablet, cellphone etc. and download content that you want to be displayed through holograms.

That would actually be kind of awesome. :)

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 07:11:17 AM »
I think if they did ever bring the classic G1 style back (but obviously with new ponies, not the originals...except Applejack), this could increase the interest and demand for the original G1 ponies again making them even more valuable and sought after.  Any one newly introduced to the style would go crazy for them and think it even more special to have a real original.

I wonder about G4s.  Please correct me if I am wrong (I do not collect G4s), but it seems like the majority of them are the main characters from the show in different styles and such.  There doesn't seem to be that many G4s that are not versions of them.  Therefore, I have a feeling they are not going to be as sought after except for the few special ones that come out.

If G2s gain any kind of popularity as a collectors piece they surely would be rare and increase in price.  However, so far it seems like few people care about them at all.  I don't think they will be more than a novelty to have more than one in a collection for most people.  So I think prices will increase, but not skyrocket.

G3s are the ponies I think will have what the G1s have now.  Toys are being produced in greater numbers, but we are also multiplying in population size so I think G3s will probably have a general value to all of them with the rarer ones gaining higher prices.   

Then again, it is so hard to predict what will be in demand and how many will be on the market.  When ebay first came out all sorts of toys were going for high prices because not as many people were selling on ebay yet but many people were just learning the joys of buying otherwise hard to find childhood toys online.  Now, these same toys are going for mere fractions of their former cost because more people are on ebay selling and the items are more readily available.  So the fact that we now have and know how to use ebay might make things cheaper.

Also, some items go down in price after they are past their "interest" period.  For example some Disney Designer Dolls were selling for $200 immediately after they were released, but now these same dolls are going for $80-$130.  In three years from now they might drop more, or they might go up if they become harder to find (like the Limited Edition Snow White doll did).  It is so completely unpredictable. 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Flutterblossom

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 09:52:45 AM »
I agree with Moonracer.

Ponies are getting smaller - I watched the MLP Fair Q&A and the impression I got was that Hasbro are concentrating mainly on their blind bag ponies. It wouldn't actually surprise me if they phased out G4 brushables altogether and just concentrated on the blind bags....look at the success of Moshi Monster, Squinkies etc.

I just did a line-up of a pony from each generation; you're right, ponies are getting smaller!! With each new generation the ponies are slightly smaller than the last! The baby g1's are the size of normal g4's! And Hasbro does seem like they are focusing more on the blind bags than the brushables, I wouldn't be surprised if, in the future, they become the "normal size" ponies.

Pinecone

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 12:45:53 PM »
They'll make the ponies so small that little girls will need to purchase My Little Microscope.

Applejack and Spike will stay forever.

I doubt they'll drop the kids in favour of bronies. Bronies aren't as important as they think. Hasbro's made it pretty clear that kids come first.  Besides, that would be stealing from kids and be really mean, and I think (most) bronies are more respectful than that.

Ponies will be very computerized. They will be cute and interactive, but a terrible computer virus will infect them and they will turn evil and may end the world.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:49:49 PM by Pinecone »

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 12:49:34 PM »
Ponies will be very computerized. They will be cute and interactive, but a terrible computer virus will infect them and they will turn evil and may end the world.

For some reason I find it very had to be afraid of ponies even if they turn evil XD But let's hope it doesn't come to that :P
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Bag of Magic Food

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 06:36:29 PM »
They'll make the ponies so small that little girls will need to purchase My Little Microscope.
You'll be able to drop them into the original Polly Pocket playsets for Polly to ride.

angela22

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 09:25:43 PM »
As someone who does some antique dealing, and having seen the phases that vintage and antique collectibles go through - I will add my two cents here. I don't know about G2s, G3s, or G4s. But the G1 line, having been around for approximately 30 years now, is hitting its boom currently and will continue to boom for another 30-40 years. After that, the price will soar phenomenally as they are no longer vintage toys, but semi-antique toys - which will be worth a fortune! If you have a collection and pass it on to a younger generation, it will make them very comfortable someday, believe me. Think about this: the rarest of the rare MLP sold for just 4.99 at one time. Now look at the prices. If you do a price check for some random pony only 3 years ago, you will see a huge difference in the price versus today. The value is steadily rising and not even gold or silver has a return rate like MLP over the same time period! Ponder that!  :shocked: :cool:

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 12:10:06 AM »
For some reason I find it very had to be afraid of ponies even if they turn evil XD But let's hope it doesn't come to that :P
I find it very easy to be afraid. Malicious magic from horn (Avada Kedavra anyone?)+ getting carebearstare'd by a pony cutie mark (I assume it's possible, given Rarity = Cheer Bear, Fluttershy + Pinkie Pie = Harmony Bear and Applejack + Rainbow Dash = Oopsy Bear) = quick one way trip to the morgue.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Folly

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2012, 12:38:01 AM »
Ponies are getting smaller - I watched the MLP Fair Q&A and the impression I got was that Hasbro are concentrating mainly on their blind bag ponies. It wouldn't actually surprise me if they phased out G4 brushables altogether and just concentrated on the blind bags....look at the success of Moshi Monster, Squinkies etc.
This is what I'm afraid of- I can't stand small toys but they obviously are getting smaller with every generation, and honestly?  I wouldn't be surprised if they went over to only producing blind bags >_< if that happened I'd definitely stop buying G4's.

I agree with everyone else on the tech thing, I betcha ponies will be some kind of cute interactive pet in the future.  Seems like the kind of thing Hasbro would do.

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2012, 12:59:25 AM »
Interactive ponies would be sooo expensive though. Look at gaming consoles, they are getting crazy expensive.

Anyone remember Nintendo's e-Reader? You'd buy cards and scan them and they'd do stuff on your Gameboy or Gamecube. I can see something kind of like that for pony toys. They could come with a collectible card and you could scan it or use a code on it for a game or app.

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2012, 03:23:33 AM »
This is what I'm afraid of- I can't stand small toys but they obviously are getting smaller with every generation, and honestly?  I wouldn't be surprised if they went over to only producing blind bags >_< if that happened I'd definitely stop buying G4's.

I agree with everyone else on the tech thing, I betcha ponies will be some kind of cute interactive pet in the future.  Seems like the kind of thing Hasbro would do.

I don't think they get smaller with each generation. At least not from my perspective :P

We had:
G1's - Big
G2's - Small (well skinny anyway)
G3's - Big
G3.5 - (Do we even count them? XD)
G4's - Small

Seems to be a pattern there to me anyway :P And if it sticks we'll get big ponies again next generation ;) I'm no expert though, just looking at the pattern from previous generations.

As for the Blind Bags, it's not the first time they've made tiny ponies like that to accompany their brushables. With the G1's there were the My Pettite Pony I believe they were called (were never that into them), and with the G3's we had the small Ponyville ponies. So even though the Blind Bags are getting more popularity than the previous tiny ones I don't think they will take over completely since they haven't in previous generations.

I'm not saying these things as facts to rely on, just something I've observed :P
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2012, 01:10:45 PM »
As someone who does some antique dealing, and having seen the phases that vintage and antique collectibles go through - I will add my two cents here. I don't know about G2s, G3s, or G4s. But the G1 line, having been around for approximately 30 years now, is hitting its boom currently and will continue to boom for another 30-40 years. After that, the price will soar phenomenally as they are no longer vintage toys, but semi-antique toys - which will be worth a fortune! If you have a collection and pass it on to a younger generation, it will make them very comfortable someday, believe me. Think about this: the rarest of the rare MLP sold for just 4.99 at one time. Now look at the prices. If you do a price check for some random pony only 3 years ago, you will see a huge difference in the price versus today. The value is steadily rising and not even gold or silver has a return rate like MLP over the same time period! Ponder that!  :shocked: :cool:

Oh how I wish that was true about all the ponies! :) PC threads can be depressing when you compare what a pony is "worth" now as to what I paid for them in the past :)

Pony prices are reliant on a large and active community - if the community grows, ponies will become more expensive, if the community shrinks prices will drop and if it stays the same, prices will remain largely around the same.

If ponies I appreciate in value with time I will be very very happy :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal