collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: If you could redo one thing about a MLP show . . .  (Read 2454 times)

Gonzo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: If you could redo one thing about a MLP show . . .
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 09:03:48 PM »
And the conflict he caused was hardly real, since he just altered the friends' minds with evil magic, so did we really learn anything applicable to our problems with real people?

I'll admit that I haven't seen those episodes, but--people you knew and trusted, suddenly ostracizing (or worse, pulverizing) you out of nowhere. Was it your fault, or were they not really your friends?

That happened to me many times in elementary and middle school (well, no one beat me up). Evil magic or not...gyah. D:

Bag of Magic Food

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2012, 09:05:51 PM »
It's all secrets and lies!   :cool:

Offline sweetstuff

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Did someone say ponies?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 07:46:32 AM »
I guess some of my hang-ups (as an adult mind you!) was the voice acting. Some of the voices were horrible and I didn't really like some of the "villains". Looking back at the movie, I can see it was to push the flutter ponies and PE. In my mind they should have kept the castle, I mean where else to magical ponies live but in a castle? The cheesy animation doesn't bother me really - it's kinda of an 80s thing.

The Tales  show - I've only seen a handful of them (thank you early morning Disney channel), so nothing really sticks out in my mind.

G3 shows - I didn't like the "segregation" of the species. I didn't care much for some of the voices/personalities. My hang-up with G3 was the Core 7 thing, but that doesn't really have much to do with the cartoons.

G3.5 - never saw

G4 - my hang up? All this brony/pegasister/canon/fanon stuff. Sorry - but I don't get it. Like I said in another post. MLP was around before all this kind of stuff so I don't quite get all the pairings or why one pony has to be one way,why some ponies should be made into toys, or so on and so on.

I get  people liking the show- I mean I was huge into Xfiles and I read fanfic/wrote fanfic - but even then I didn't get some of the (in my mind) parings or changing the personalities.

It just seems like with this show/toy line - you have to either be a brony/pegasister or you aren't allowed to say anything. I know that doesn't have anything to do with the cartoon directly, but if  I could change something, I would have released all the toys before the cartoon came out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 10:39:01 AM »
MLP & Friends - As others have said, I'd have the animation as it was in the 1984 special.  Escape from Catrina and the Movie were okay, but I can remember watching the TV series as an older child and cringing at the errors and general laziness of the animation even then!

Tales - I'd have each episode twenty minutes long instead of them cramming two stories into the time.  I also wish there had been a second season and that Lancer had appeared in more than five episodes!  I think they could have done great things with the show if only they'd had more time for character and plot development!

G3 - More adventure, if just to get all the people who hate the show to shut up!  I actually liked all the earlier movies, but they went a bit off the boil with The Runaway Rainbow and never really got back on track!

G3.5 - Different art style (G3 was fine as it was, we didn't need the big heads and hooves!) and more long movies like Twinkle Wish Adventure.  The shorts were a bit pointless but I did love the voice cast.

At this point, my personal preference would be for Hasbro to have cancelled the MLP line all together and let it rest in peace.  But whatever.

Newborn Cuties - ERASE THEM FROM HISTORY!  Actually, did we ever even count them as part of MLP's history?  (Apologies if there is anyone out there who does like them!)  If we have to keep them, I'd COMPLETELY re-make them!  I've seen things better animated with Flash by amateurs!  And I'd have the Core Seven's professional voice actor cast instead of those AWFUL kids who were only hired because they were the director's daughter and her friends...

FiM - Uh... Well, Hasbro already cancelled the line before the Newborn Cuties, right?! :P  I won't give all my thoughts here as I know I'm in the minority, but I'd change the art style back to something more "old MLP-like" with the traditional Hasbro eye shape that all ponies had from G1-G3 (and even a bit in G3.5).  Lauren Faust's style is all well and good, but their eyes look like any modern cartoon now, rather than that loveable MLP look I've known all my life.  It also drives my voice acting ear crazy to hear four of the main characters played by two actresses, I'd have far rather had six different VAs.  And keep with a completely Vancouver-based cast as in Tales and G3 (so no Tara Strong).  It just gels better if everyone can be in the studio at once.  But that was never going to happen once Faust was on the scene unfortunately... :(

MLPTales: More episodes! I would have liked there to be more about their culture and world. Did they live somewhere seperate from MLP&Friends? Were they linked to Friendship Gardens in some way?

Unlikely.  Friendship Gardens wasn't invented until the release of the G2 ponies, five years after Tales. ;)

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »
G1 - I would have liked to see more of this pony magic they talk about....we get the wink but with all the unicorns abilities...just think of the world domination they could have:P hahahaha. Pony hair grows back? so no change in style...I would love to know more about that:) having more then one episode for boy ponies and then the shows with Danny.

Tales - More episodes...I would have liked to see a boy orientated episode....I like balance.

G3 - Almost to sweet and hyper active...and I am a totally real life G4 Pinkie Pie...except no twitcha twitch. I only got to see a few shows....it was good but I would like more variety of characters...they seemed the same but like different things.

G3.5 - Saw only Twinkle Wish...and it was really cute:) not much I can really say for that one.

FiM - I would like to see more boys being friends with the girls. I think this would be helpful to anyone growing up seeing as gender is not a reason to be friends or not:)

Above all...cartoons are made to sell toys....look back at Escape from Catrina....we came out with Pony Wear from that special about the same time:)
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
:P I think I am in the minority indeed...I love Rainbow Dash and her "dahhhhlings"! Its what makes be prefer posh G3 Dash over the brash new Dash!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Rika_of_Thunder

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2012, 04:55:46 PM »
G2- I would make it exist! XD

Bag of Magic Food

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2012, 07:01:21 PM »
It also drives my voice acting ear crazy to hear four of the main characters played by two actresses, I'd have far rather had six different VAs.
That doesn't bother me as much as the fact that three or four of the main characters get different voices when they sing.  I like Rarity's songs, but her singing voice often sounds noticeably different, and what's the problem with just letting Tabitha St. Germain sing?  I don't believe any of the other My Little Pony cartoons had to replace any voice actors just for songs.

Although, with Generation 1, it gets a little ridiculous just how many ponies were played by Nancy Cartwright now that her voice is so famous.  And it's strange how Posey sounds less like Bart Simpson when she sings, but Truly sounds more like Bart when she sings...

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »
MLP&F: Less characters, more Danny
MLP Tales: Unicorns and Pegasi
G3: better storylines
Newborn Cuties: I'd change everything. Except the design. That's not one thing, I know.
FiM: Sea ponies, 'nuff said.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2012, 07:23:39 PM »
I thought "A Canterlot Wedding" was one of their best efforts at melding the friendship stories with the action adventures
Idk. I thought the fighting scene was uncalled for and does not fit into a wedding episode. All the unhappiness going on. Chinese Buddhism beliefs is that weddings are supposed to be a day of joy and that fighting on the day of a wedding is taboo and will cause the couple to not enjoy a happy life together- it will mar their marriage for life.

Plus, I have a hatred for shapeshifting villains. Which are what Discord and Chrysalis are.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Bag of Magic Food

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
Hmm, which is worse: Shapeshifting making it too easy to win even for a bad actor, or Discord not using his shapeshifting for anything useful?

Betelgeuse

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2012, 03:33:36 AM »
G1: MORE TIRAC (just because)

G2: Needs to exist

Tales: less slice-of-lifey

G3: Different art style and plots

G3.5: everyone dies.

G4: Less "anime styled" more like G1

Offline StarZetRaven

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Your average G2 collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2012, 03:53:05 AM »
There would be a G2 cartoon. With Ivy, Light Heart, Sundance and Sweetberry (and Sky Skimmer, I'd love if she'd join too) as the main ponies, and we could meet Crystal and Twinkle Star and Silver Swirl... *dreams away*
ladywaterfall.tumblr.com

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2012, 04:10:35 AM »

MLP & Friends - I would snap my fingers and magically change all the animation to "Rescue at Midnight Castle" style animation. 

THIS! ^

Bag of Magic Food

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2012, 09:27:36 AM »
G4: Less "anime styled" more like G1
Now this part I don't get.  Why do some people call G4 "anime styled"?  I thought Japanese animation was distinguished by large, fanciful character designs but doing very little in-betweening to save on animation costs; whereas Friendship Is Magic designs are pretty simple for the most part, but everything is made to move very smoothly, and has a lot more keyframes drawn than you'd expect for a Flash cartoon.  (I have to shudder every time I see that new Cat In The Hat series on TV with the lazy "paper marionette" look.)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal