collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: If you could redo one thing about a MLP show . . .  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
Re: If you could redo one thing about a MLP show . . .
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2012, 10:33:48 AM »
G1 show - I wouldn't change anything. It's what I grew up with and love and therefor I wouldn't wanna change it for nostalgia reasons. Granted I notice animation errors etc. when I watch it today, but aside from that I love it just the way it is.

Pony Tales - Can't really come up with anything there either. Same thing goes here as with the G1 show. I grew up with it and therefor I love it just the way it is.
G3 show - Actually never seen an episode. I must get around to do that sometime :)

G4 show - A little more consistancy. I love the show, don't get me wrong. But it's like: everyday life, everyday life, everyday life, SUDDENLY A VILLAN!, every day life, every day life,everyday life, SUDDENLY ANOTHER VILLAN! Not to mention, with the exception of Luna, that is the only time we've ever seen them or even heard anything about them. Like season 2 finaly. Suddenly there's an evil Queen we've never heard anything about before and suddenly Twilight Sparkle has a brother which we never heard of previously either.
So in my opinion it seems like they're basicly just throwing new ideas in there along with the old stuff (which isn't bad alltogether), but as for following a simple basic plotline it is kinda off.
New things happening - good. New super important familymembers appearing we've never heard of before - bad. 
~*Erica*~
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

starlightcomet

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2012, 10:53:27 AM »
EDIT:  Oops. Wrong Thread  :blush:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:37:35 PM by starlightcomet »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »
Hmm, which is worse: Shapeshifting making it too easy to win even for a bad actor, or Discord not using his shapeshifting for anything useful?

Honestly, I thought Discord was a pretty lame villain.  "Finally, I am free!  After a thousand years!  Now I will sit in the garden of the princesses who imprisoned me and send lame D&D riddles to their most powerful subjects.  Sure, take the Elements of Harmony, I don't care.  Oh no, I'm being turned to stone again!  There is no way I could have foreseen this happening!"

Laaaaame.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Bag of Magic Food

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2012, 10:45:25 PM »
But the way you put it, he sounds hilariously lame, and that I don't mind.   :lol:

G4 show - A little more consistancy. I love the show, don't get me wrong. But it's like: everyday life, everyday life, everyday life, SUDDENLY A VILLAN!, every day life, every day life,everyday life, SUDDENLY ANOTHER VILLAN!
Don't forget SUDDENLY CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS! YAY!

Which I don't know how to improve on.  I doubt there's enough material for the CMC to carry their own TV series, but I know a lot of viewers get annoyed whenever a whole episode is spent on them, with all the main six as nothing more than incidental characters.

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2012, 05:33:21 AM »
There would be a G2 cartoon. With Ivy, Light Heart, Sundance and Sweetberry (and Sky Skimmer, I'd love if she'd join too) as the main ponies, and we could meet Crystal and Twinkle Star and Silver Swirl... *dreams away*

I would have LOVED to see this.  :<
Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2012, 06:30:26 AM »
Since ponies did not exist when I was young I can not comment on G1 at all.  Our household grew up on G3 and for the most part they where fun light and brezzie which is where your marketing was at that time.  It was the start of the politically correct error and the feel good about yourself error so I can understand the how and why.  We love Minty and we love a very Minty Christmas.  Some of there others where so so some good.

As to G4 - the art style is what bothers me the most, the story lines are good though I wish they had not reused ponies from other generations and made such major changes to them.  i.e. Rainbowdash.  They could have come up with a new name for her, she is so not our Dash darrrrrrrrrrrlllllllllllinnnng.  That said I would have loved to see Minty be used but worry about what they would have done to her personality.  We love our sock hoarding pony.  I would love to see a bit more depth to the pony faces, they are way to flat and the proportions make me cringe.  But it seems I am in the minority in regards to the art of the show, which is okay, I usually am. LOL
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Binny

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2012, 06:37:20 AM »
I can only comment on FIM at this time, but more alicorns (give them their own kingdom or something, or at least a story of where they came from if the princesses are the last) and bring back Discord. :B

Offline TheGreatSpid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2012, 11:00:41 AM »
I would want ponies to act like ponies! There are far to many "humanized" actions that the characters perform in the various series that just seem odd, and out of place for me (like holding a pencil with a hoof, and other similar actions). Rescue at Midnight Castle, and Escape from Catrina allowed the characters to achieve many tasks by doing things that didnt resort to humanized actions (like holding a pencil in their mouth, instead of their hoof)!

Betelgeuse

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2012, 02:34:28 PM »
G4: Less "anime styled" more like G1
Now this part I don't get.  Why do some people call G4 "anime styled"?  I thought Japanese animation was distinguished by large, fanciful character designs but doing very little in-betweening to save on animation costs; whereas Friendship Is Magic designs are pretty simple for the most part, but everything is made to move very smoothly, and has a lot more keyframes drawn than you'd expect for a Flash cartoon.  (I have to shudder every time I see that new Cat In The Hat series on TV with the lazy "paper marionette" look.)
It's the eyes for the most part and the overall "chibi" style and general feel of the series.
It's a reoccurring trend for the better cartoons on tv to be chibi-ed whilst the other cartoons. (like the one you mentioned. ewwww) To be well, not but the style and process is not as great.

What i said, is I'd prefer that FiM would be drawn in a style more like G1, a little more realistic.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »
I wouldn't have taken Hydia and her daughters so seriously.  I see them as prototypes of Dr. Robotnik and Scratch and Grounder from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.  They're not there to be serious villains.  They're there to be laughed at.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal