collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: If you could redo one thing about a MLP show . . .  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: If you could redo one thing about a MLP show . . .
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 05:00:29 PM »
I'd make it so every generation had Wind Whistler in it. :snow:
hmm, I like your thinking! Although I'd hate to see what Newborn Cuties would have done with her.

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 05:10:58 PM »
G1 cartoon: we don't need a song every episode...and fewer chars. so we can get some development

Tales: I really liked this show there's not too much I'd change but unicorns and pegs would be nice I think

G3: I didn't like these cartoons except for Minty and Kimono I really didn't like any of the pony's personalities they seemed kinda well boring. I would like to see some real conflict in the story lines something more serous than "Oh no my dress is missing and I have to bake cookies for the princess or it'll be the worst day ever!"

G3.5: meh I could list quite a few things I didn't like about this series but the worse thing was the animation style it was very choppy almost looked like the early episodes of South park, so smoother animation would be a must.

G4: I like what I see so far, but seeing more locations around Equestira and the more of the other creatures in Equestira. I'd like to see what their version of Africa looks like more Zebras would be cool     

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 05:32:45 PM »
MLP&F:  Not get rid of Dream Castle.
Tales:  Unicorns and Pegasi.
G3:  Actually write something.
G3.5 and Newborn Cuties:  Not do them period.
FiM:  Make a spinoff to put a spotlight on more ponies.

I second the idea of leaving in Dream Castle. It just seemed so much more magical than Paradise Estate. I was devastated as a child when they gave Dream Castle to the Grundles! :P And of course MORE UNICORNS in G3! Of course after seeing a Charming Birthday and Minty's Christmas I was too scared to watch any more G3 movies :yikes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 05:38:03 PM »
The funeral scene/shot in FIM "hearts and hooves day".
Seriously...why? Out of all the things you could have shown while saying a pony is too old...why that?
It's just so random and pointlessly morbid/sad. They could have done a bazillion things that would have been actually funny/fun. I really wonder what that writer was thinking.
Than again, i hate that entire episode and like to pretend it never happened.

You know, that's a very good point! I'd really like to see that whole story just - gone. Or changed. It's not so much the 'let's pair up Big Mac and Cheerilee!' thing, but the fact that they used mind-control to do it. Uhhh, hello, non-consent? On top of the morbidness of the funeral scene.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 06:09:54 PM »
MLP & Friends: Real child actors instead of baby/caveman voice acting.

MLP Tales: Haven't seen enough episodes of this.

G3: Make it less saccharine. It's cute but way over the top sometimes.

G3.5: Fix the babies because "newborns" don't speak, and foals don't crawl--they walk on four legs right after birth.

Friendship is Magic: Add Flutter Ponies and Seaponies!

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 06:16:23 PM »
What would you change about a MLP show (any generation) if you could change one thing?

MLP & Friends - I would snap my fingers and magically change all the animation to "Rescue at Midnight Castle" style animation.  (If I could change TWO things, I would get rid of the incidental music--not the songs, but that random background music that was always the same.)

MLP Tales - I would make some of the main characters pegasi and unicorns.  Even if there wasn't any magic in the show, I still want to see pegasi and unicorns, darn it!

G3 - I would give them villains.

G4 - I'd change Pinkie Pie back to being Surprise.  I just love Surprise.

Couldn't have said it better (especially the Midnight Castle ponies). But my thing for the G4 show would be to have "guest star" new characters introduced each episode, like Blossomforth and Thunderlane in one episode, a different one in another episode, and a different new character in even another one, etc. Like how G1 did it kind of with Mimic, Flutter ponies, seaponies, etc.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:18:17 PM by StarDragon »

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 06:23:27 PM »
I'd have seaponies added to G4! I love them so much. Or I'd somehow make the show go back to how it was in S1. In S2 pretty much everyone seemed out of character and I liked barely any of the episodes.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 06:23:53 PM »
G1 cartoon: Better quality production/continunity. The animation is adorable. We've saw the bloopers: extra legs, pegicorns, random characters speaking with another characters voice, or speaking without mouth moving. Didn't HASRRO throw a fit for having their company named spelled wrong on the credits for the first season? I like the product placement, but sometimes it's a bit too much new stuff in one episode and very obviously talked about... I say all of this with love because I really adore MLP and Friends (and Tales).

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 06:27:19 PM »
Oh hell yes.  Snap that trademark up, Hasbro.  It's available last time I checked.  Fans the world over will love you for it.

As for the funeral scene.  They should have had Mr. Waddles playing chess as a better foil to the colt playing the arcade game.

As for all the characters in G1.  Hasbro was unwilling to bite the bullet and say a group of ponies were main characters and the rest were supporting characters or cameo characters because they didn't want to pick and choose between their toys.  Though, they could have organized the pony community a bit better like have a leader instead of den mother Megan.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:31:11 PM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 06:31:05 PM »
Bettina (Megan) and Scott Menville (Danny) were in their teens as voice actors for the series (both were voice actors for Rainbow Brite). I do understand what you mean, but I think they were appropriate for their respective roles. :o)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »
Bettina (Megan) and Scott Menville (Danny) were in their teens as voice actors for the series (both were voice actors for Rainbow Brite). I do understand what you mean, but I think they were appropriate for their respective roles. :o)
They're referring the baby ponies broken English in MLP&F.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 06:32:21 PM »

Works for me.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 07:07:50 PM »
Oops, I forgot about the G3.5 and Newborn Cutie shows!

For G3.5 . . . well, I'm torn between "write better scripts," because the one where the ponies learn that BACK IS THE OPPOSITE OF FRONT made me die a little inside, or "don't change every pony's voice."  I liked G3 Rainbow Dash's Zha Zha Gabor voice, it was much more interesting than "generic squeaky voice #234".

Newborn Cuties . . . *cringe*  Honestly, I think it would have to be "don't make them."  God, they were bad, they were so bad.  But if they did have to be made . . . *stares faraway, into space*  It would either be "get better voice actors" ("my scawf!") or "use better animation."  At least don't have them CRAWLING on those freaky knees-bending-the-wrong-way legs of theirs.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Bag of Magic Food

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 08:53:19 PM »
Now on to the episodes, specifically S2, which is the shark-jumping point in my eyes. I'd wipe Discord and Chrysalis from existence. I preferred this show the way post-two-parter-premiere season 1 was. Putting in all those shout-outs and in the process reduce the educational content, and kneeling to the "bronies" call for villains, killed the series for me.
I thought "A Canterlot Wedding" was one of their best efforts at melding the friendship stories with the action adventures, though I could imagine a few other good ways the "Cadance's dark secret" part could have gone.  Discord, however, was just annoying.  G1 villains worked well because they tended to have one specific power and one logical weakness.  But when you have to make an evil wizard's magic so powerful that he can do anything he wants, you wonder why there's any hope of beating him at all; it seems more like Discord lost just because he turned into an overconfident fool after a while and stopped preparing for any further attacks.  And the conflict he caused was hardly real, since he just altered the friends' minds with evil magic, so did we really learn anything applicable to our problems with real people?  (This is a similar problem to one I had with "The Secret of My Excess", which I once dubbed the "Rocky Just Wants to Have Fun" of My Little Pony.)

Oh, and for G3 cartoons I would make Rainbow Dash not sound like Zsa Zsa Gabor. That killed them for me.
I liked the voice, but of all the dumb catchphrases the G3 ponies had, the way Rainbow Dash wore out the word "darling" was the worst.  It was if she (or the person writing her) wasn't good enough at that affectation that she had to lean on that one word whenever she couldn't think of another one, or maybe Rainbow had a bomb in her that would go off if she didn't average one "darling" per sentence, or something like that.

On the other hand, I really wish they hadn't replaced Venus Terzo with Anna Cummer and made Rainbow Dash stop saying "darling", as by that point it had gotten so ridiculous that it was kind of funny; other characters made fun of her for saying it, even.  But Anna Cummer's voice acting turned RD into just another airhead, with no memorable traits.

And while we're complaining about the Core 7, why couldn't they have been introduced with something better than "Here are some webisodes about this new gang of friends that are all throwing parties for each other for some reason"?  They could have done like Friendship Is Magic and had Pinkie Pie move to a new town where she ends up on an adventure in which she's forced to meet and work with these new ponies one by one, or something.  (See, FIM is just the latest improvement on the "seven lifelong friends" concept: Compared to My Little Pony Tales, it gives us a world that's actually interesting and fitting for magical ponies to live in.)

If they couldn't do that, then they really should have come up with the New Look right away and established that this was a new continuity, not waste our time with clip shows of the old movies that can only pretend to have anything to do with the new gang, then introduce new stuff that contradicts all that the next year.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 08:55:10 PM »
Ha. It sounds sick but I love G3 Rainbow Dash's "daaahrling" because it makes me think of Cruella De Ville.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal