collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pawn shop and trading shows  (Read 1339 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Pawn shop and trading shows
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:43:49 PM »
I'm a boring person, and I watch more Food Network and Lifetime than anything. Lately my wife has me watching some of those pawn shop or deal shows like Pawn Stars or what is the one where they buy the storage lockers? Watching one now where people are bartering items....you know I like to see the cool things people bring in, but I feel bad for the people they trade with. I mean I buy things sometimes and know I overpay, but I feel so bad for these people they trade with. I mean there is like some little old man and they offer less than half of what they sell it for later. I disliking seeing people taken advantage of so badly. Haha, am I the only one here on this?
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Pawn shop and trading shows
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 07:36:36 AM »
I don't watch those shows. They are boring and annoy me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline gustystarr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Big Brother Pony
  • An eccentric whose quite fine with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
That is the reason why I usely don't watch shows like that. I don't consider it a "win" when some cheats another person out of money like that. And I really hate it when people take advantage of older folks.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 10:17:27 AM »
I tried to get my dad to watch American Pickers, and it really made him upset. I thought he'd like it, because he also likes finding cool old stuff too. Oh, but was he furious about how they ripped off those people. While some people didn't care, because they were happier to get rid of the item -- other people seemed quite attached, and they really low-balled. And I thought about it, and he was right-- specifically, for that show.

I also ran into a man who told me about his first-hand encounter from the people from the show, and he didn't have nice things to say. u__u

But I like the storage locker show <3 ^^; I dunno why, but I do.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 10:36:12 AM »
that's really interesting about American Pickers, it always seemed to me that they're the most decent. I've seen them offer somebody more than what they were asking if it was worth a LOT more (only once or twice, of course, but still . . .) and there was that one guy with the amusement park where what they bought ended up being worth WAY more than they paid, and they took him some money back. I don't understand why it's not a good deal if they can't double their money, though. Even with overhead, that seems a bit much. In the end, it is all about that bottom line.  :razz: stupid old thing!

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 05:52:44 PM »
I only watch Comic Book Men. Wickedly funny, it's more about the people in the show than it is about the crap people sell to them.

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 06:00:11 PM »
The only show remotely like that we have enjoyed is Antiques Roadshow - some of the items and stories behind them are amazing.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 07:37:31 PM »
I like all those kinds of shows because that is the kind of work i do,
it is possible to be fair and not screw someone over.
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Phekzhen

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 07:47:40 PM »
I used to watch those shows. Pawn stores are sorta based around taking advantage of people. People sell off stuff to pawn shops because they want to get rid of stolen goods or they're desperate for money. And pawn brokers want to sell things to get quick money.

I'd rather watch historical or scientific shows, even if they're really wrong, like Ancient Aliens. I'd love if they made a fundamentalist Christian show, where they try to explain how everything odd can be explained by the bible, instead of aliens. Or, you know, science.

Offline gustystarr

• Big Brother Pony
  • An eccentric whose quite fine with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 07:53:19 PM »
Oh I must of came off as sort of rude and niaeve, sorry guys. I don't think bartering is bad, I love it, as long as it sort of fair, but I won't rip someone off.

Phekzhen

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 08:49:13 PM »
Oh I must of came off as sort of rude and niaeve, sorry guys. I don't think bartering is bad, I love it, as long as it sort of fair, but I won't rip someone off.

Bartering is an excellent way to do trade, as it lets both parties come up with a fair price. It's still fairly common in many parts of the world. And we "barter" when we do pony trades as well! We barter when we ask our friends for a favor.

Offline RavenWolf

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 11:21:07 PM »
I used to love watching those shows, not so much anymore. I think what did me in about American Pickers was in a few episodes, where they not only low balled, but pressured the person into selling something that had been in the family for along time and obviously had sentimental value.  :(

Storage Wars was cool at first, because I loved seeing what they found in the lockers. But all the waring got old really fast, when one of them bids up a unit they have no interest in just to make someone else pay more for a unit, for no other reason then just to be a jerk, makes me mad.

Boldly going where no pony has gone before...

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »
I really enjoy Pawn Stars. That's pretty much the only one of those types of shows I do like. My husband likes Storage Wars but I think that and American Pickers are rather boring.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »
I quite like Pawn Stars, some interesting stuff comes through and well the interactions between everyone are pretty freaking hillarious. (Although the episode with the Transformers collection annoyed me a bit, more the way they tried to super lowball the guy)
I do watch American Pickers from time to time, it's interesting enough but I'm more interested in the stuff they find rather than the guys on the show. Storage Wars, it gets old real fast only person I like on there is Barry as he seems for the most part to be the least nasty person on there. Dave annoys me so freaking much and the bickering does get really old, real quick.

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

amylynnamylynn

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 02:04:29 PM »
My boyfriend is the same way - he can't watch when he thinks someone is getting cheated.  The way I try to explain it to him, especially with shows like Pickers, it's simple retail.  In a retail store, you want to buy something that is half the price of what you're going to sell it for.  This is the same thing, but since it's a bigger number it's harder to look at it that way.  Plus they have to pay for all their time looking and the space it take up in their store.  I just like to look at all the cool stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal