collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 2012 Virginia Pony Meet - August 18th  (Read 9536 times)

Offline EStRanger

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Virginia Pony Meet - August 18th
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 01:27:27 PM »
*Raises hoof--err, hand* Okay, so I'm outing myself as a meet newb here, but what exactly goes on at pony meets? I'm interested in attending one (if not this exact one; see earlier comment), and I don't want to come unprepared! I've done a lot of anime and sci-fi conventions in the past, so I keep imagining a mini-con with people cosplaying ponies and sharing fanart and pony lore. So what is a pony meet *really*? :)
Don't look for me!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »
*Raises hoof--err, hand* Okay, so I'm outing myself as a meet newb here, but what exactly goes on at pony meets? I'm interested in attending one (if not this exact one; see earlier comment), and I don't want to come unprepared! I've done a lot of anime and sci-fi conventions in the past, so I keep imagining a mini-con with people cosplaying ponies and sharing fanart and pony lore. So what is a pony meet *really*? :)

I've always liked to describe it as a birthday party with ponies!

Pony meets are like a convention to a certain extent; attendees bring MLP stuff they want to display/sell/trade. Or bring things you've made/customized or created that is MLP related.

Some folks collect other toys as well, so while a meet is centered around MLP you can sometimes see other things for sale/trade. In fact a lot of times it's a good idea to list on the thread if you collect or like other things because sometimes you never know what others might have to sell/trade

At most pony meet there are crafty activities/games/contests.

I've already posted the custom contest. You simply customize a pony to the best of  your ability, bring it to the meet and it is judged up against the other entries, etc.

For the games/contests the meet gives away prizes and all attendees will usually get gift bags once the meet is over. So usually everyone will walk away from the meet with free stuff :)

We usually have a crafty activity and other fun stuff to do, all of it usually centering around MLP.

I think if you enjoy conventions you will probably really like attending any ponymeet.

We also like all generation ponies G1-G4 - so whichever gen you prefer you will probably find something at the meet.

I hope that gives you an idea of what we do or what a usual pony meet is like. Oh yea, we also have food/etc/cake (gotta have a pony related cake at a pony meet!)

Anyway, Probably others can describe a ponymeet better but it's just a way for us to get together, meet each other and share our love of MLP and maybe sometimes find a pony we've been looking for :)

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline EStRanger

• Trade Count: (+12)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 04:31:17 PM »
That's really helpful, and it's making me want to come even more. :D

I'm told I make some tasty baked goods. So if I ever make it to a meet, I'd totally be up for contributing snacks. I even have an old G1 MLP cookie cutter that's screaming to be used for this purpose!
Don't look for me!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 08:55:23 PM »
That's really helpful, and it's making me want to come even more. :D

I'm told I make some tasty baked goods. So if I ever make it to a meet, I'd totally be up for contributing snacks. I even have an old G1 MLP cookie cutter that's screaming to be used for this purpose!

Ouuu, pony cookies!! Yes please! :)

A lot of  times with the food we will, once we figure out how many attendees we are going to have, we'll divide up what we need and have people who can bring stuff. Last year for lunch we ordered pizza and then everyone chipped in to pay for them.

Pony cookies would be fun and a great addition if you can make it this year :)

Once we get closer to the meet we can figure out what we will need as far as food goes, etc.

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 04:33:37 PM »
ah last year...that's when we invented pony tree croquet so much fun

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 08:36:47 PM »
ah last year...that's when we invented pony tree croquet so much fun

I never asked yet if they were still finding fakies! Actually I think I videoed that funtastic event with my phone. I will have to take a liik and see if it still exists :)

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 09:17:30 AM »
Man, I wish this had happened last year!  I just moved to NC from Locust Grove, VA.  It's pretty much down the street from Fredericksburg!  Might be a good escuse to go back for a visit.  I was just there last week but I could stand to take another drive up!  Don't put me down as a 100% yes, but I might be able to swing it.  Was there a VA meet in the past?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 10:39:25 AM »
Man, I wish this had happened last year!  I just moved to NC from Locust Grove, VA.  It's pretty much down the street from Fredericksburg!  Might be a good escuse to go back for a visit.  I was just there last week but I could stand to take another drive up!  Don't put me down as a 100% yes, but I might be able to swing it.  Was there a VA meet in the past?

I never know you were in VA!

Yes, there has been a VA meet since 2007 I think that's right. I was not on the staff originally, I just attended. I missed the next year 2008 because I had other plans that weekend.

I returned in 2009, I offered to do a logo for the meet.

Then in 2010 and 2011 I became a official member/organizer. The last two years the meet has been in Emporia at a local Ruritan Club because my home just isn't big enough to host a meet. So this year myself and Princessmaker wanted to try a new location so we are going to try Fredericksburg this year :)

Actually last year you would have been closer because emporia is not far from the boarder if NC/VA.  Actually Princessmaker lives in NC.

We'd be glad to have you attend PB so come on back up to VA :)

Offline princessmaker

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 04:48:58 PM »
Quick bump from my temporary home in California!

I'm so excited about meet time coming up soon, especially since I'm frightfully busy with other things this summer; I'll need the break. I absolutely love the theme for the custom contest since I'm out here studying gemology. Blinged out ponies? Heck yes!

Also this year we will be heading to King's Dominion on the Sunday after the meet, so about a month out we'll be asking who's coming to that as well to see if we might have enough for a group discount.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 01:07:08 PM »
Quick bump from my temporary home in California!

I'm so excited about meet time coming up soon, especially since I'm frightfully busy with other things this summer; I'll need the break. I absolutely love the theme for the custom contest since I'm out here studying gemology. Blinged out ponies? Heck yes!

Also this year we will be heading to King's Dominion on the Sunday after the meet, so about a month out we'll be asking who's coming to that as well to see if we might have enough for a group discount.

I think I need to add the KD idea onto the main post. Will do that later but for now I'm just bumping the thread :)

Post Merge: June 20, 2012, 05:19:56 AM

Sunday August 19th

Princessmaker and I are possibly going to go to Kingsdominion on Sunday, the day after the meet. If anyone is interested in making it a group event all ponypeople are welcome to join us. For information about Kingsdominion you can go to they're website:http://www.kingsdominion.com/

If anyone is interested let us know. I was checking out the website and it looks like you can get $10 off if you buy online but I think they also offer group rates; I'm just  not sure how many people you need in a group to get that cheaper rate.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 05:19:56 AM by KarentheUnicorn »

Offline princessmaker

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »
Whew. Long trip.

I can't wait to show everyone at the meet the goodies I pick up at this year's fair...less than two weeks away!

I'm still trying to come up with ideas for indoor type activities in addition to our traditional wack-a-fakie (this year, there will be water hazards. No hitting the ducks!)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 08:04:03 AM »
Giving this a bump.

The Fair was so much fun and it was great to see so many pony people, now and old!

Getting excited about the meet and can't wait to see everyone again. We'll hopefully be getting our events/activities listed soon so keep an eye on the thread :)

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2012, 10:25:16 AM »
Is the facebook group still active?  I'm pretty sure I sent a request to join the group but never got anything.  Have you guys decided on a location yet?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 11:26:01 AM »
Is the facebook group still active?  I'm pretty sure I sent a request to join the group but never got anything.  Have you guys decided on a location yet?

I'll go take a look at the FB page, since I was on vacation and work is busy I am only just now getting back to posting and trying to update stuff and catchup with emails for the meet/etc.

Yep, I see you, you should be approved now :)

Offline Watercolors

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector of G1 and G2!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »
I may be attending! Does it cost anything to come?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal