collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Colorado wildfire, everyone safe? Thoughts and prayers needed for WOLF Sanctuary  (Read 9254 times)

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
Some of you might have heard that there's a wildfire in Northern Colorado, just a few miles outside the city where I went to college.  It has spread to over 20,000 acres in less than 48 hours and so far there's 0% containment.  It's racing towards W.O.L.F., a wolf and wolf-dog sanctuary where I volunteered for a while in college.  They evacuated 11 animals before the fire department shut down the road and wouldn't allow anymore volunteers up the canyon.  The owner and one employee stayed as long as they could, hosing down the enclosures, leaving lots of food and water, and managed to catch 2 more of the wolves before the fire hit the ridge and they had to head down.  There are 17 wolves who had to be left behind.  The area is totally closed off and nobody is being allowed up the roads for any reason now.  They remaining animals all have fire dens (built this last year after a earlier fire scare), so we can only hope that they will know to use the dens if the fire hits the sanctuary.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I am so worried about them.  Please if you could say a little prayer or send some positive energy to the sanctuary and those whose homes are in the line of the fire.  They need all the help they can get.

Are all the Northern CO ponies safe as well?  I've heard from Panda, but that's it.  If any of you get evacuation notices, let me know and I will try to get my car up north so you can load it up.  I'm not cleared to carry heavy stuff yet from my surgery, but I can drive.

*Update*

There has been no word yet on how the remaining wolves are doing, but W.O.L.F. is requesting emergency donations to help with food and shelter for the evacuated wolves and to help rebuild the sanctuary once this ordeal is over. If you can spare even $5 please donate on their cause website.  All donations will be used immediately or go straight to the sanctuary after this trying time.  If you can't spare any cash (I understand, trust me), please continue to send good thoughts and prayers their way.

At this point, there isn't much hope that the sanctuary will escape the fire.  We can only hope that the fire dens protect the remaining wolves (since they are still being denied access) and that the money raised is enough to pay for the damage and possible vet bills.  If you live in Northern CO, they are also accepting donations of dog food and toys to keep the evacuated animals occupied.

*Udpate 2*

I finally have some good news!!!  The sanctuary employees were allowed up to check on the animals and facilities this morning and have updated their facebook page:

Here is an update. The fire dens (underground concrete bunkers) that have been being constructed since last year as part of WOLF's survive in place strategy are woking! Yesterday afternoon we were able to get into the facility to check in on the animals at the Sanctuary. Though there is spotty fire damage to the property, the fire had not affected the enclosures. We believe this is a result of the fire road and forest thinning we have been doing around the enclosures since early 2009. Though we did not evacuate any more animal, we were able to get a visual on all of them and bring in more food and water. Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers; they are working! Keep up the good work!

Back when I was volunteering, we busted our butts to get that fire road started.  I spent hours and hours in and around enclosures picking up debris and helping to cut down dead trees and this out the living ones.  I actually hurt my arm pretty badly doing it too.  XD  But it was all for this reason.  The fire dens were the final project of the efforts to protect the sanctuary from events like this and they were about half done (the most recent finished only a few weeks ago).  Not a moment too soon, either.  They are now quietly optimistic that all of the hard work will save the sanctuary.

*Update 3*

Update: We are ecstatic to inform you that we were able to get back up to the Sanctuary this morning. Even better we were able to get the remaining animals out and send them on their way to their temporary homes!

A HUGE thank you to the firemen as well as Pat Craig and the team from the Wild Animal Sanctuary in Keenesburg for assisting in this endeavor!

We are extremely relieved and grateful for all of your support. Please stick with us so we can get these animals home safely.

All the animals are safe and sound, thank goodness!!!!  :lovey:  Thank you all for your positive thoughts and prayers and donations.  :hug:  Photos of the evacuated wolves here:  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.379876372069710.84819.379867748737239&type=1
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:42:28 PM by ZennaBug »

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Re: Thoughts, prayers, anything. Please.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 08:57:53 PM »
Oh my gosh.  Definitely thinking and praying for the people and wolves and their safety.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 09:38:04 PM »
Definitely, so many lives affected. Positive thoughts and prayers go out to all in the fire areas.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 10:46:35 PM »
Oh no! Fires are just so awful and scary. I hope the dogs/wolves use their fire dens. I will keep my fingers crossed and send some positive energy and all of that good stuff!
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 11:21:16 PM »
I just heard about the fire. How awful for the wolves to not all get out in time. I hope they will be safe.
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 11:25:58 PM »
 :cloud: Prayers headed that way Zen! Everyone in that area stay safe!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline nuttertasha

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • nutter is me all over
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 12:08:06 AM »
sending all my prayers and thought i hope all stay safe and that the wolfs use their fire dens stay safe out there
Formally butterfly gypsie rose

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 01:17:41 AM »
Oh no. I hope the fire doesn't reach them!  No wonder you are so worried, Zen.  Keep us posted :hug:

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 03:56:16 AM »
Sending positive thoughts and hopes on your way! Best wishes for the best!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 05:42:48 AM »
oh no! that is horrible! But everything will be ok, sending my positive thoughts and some cool Icelandic weather to stop the fire :fingers crossed:
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 06:15:43 AM »
It's getting closer to my house- we can see the smoke from the back porch, so we're getting very nervous over here. I went to Estes Park yesterday and took a few very scary pictures.  Will post them in a bit.

I heard about the wolves, Zenna. I really hope they know to go into their underground bunkers for the fire.

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 06:20:23 AM »
Prayers sent for all involved! 
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 06:33:29 AM »
That's terrible :( Sending stay safe thoughts to all up there :hug: Please let us know when you have an update!

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 06:46:50 AM »
I took this Saturday morning, apparently shortly after the fire started. This is about 5 miles from my house.

We went up to Estes Park where there's a tram to the top of a mountain so we could see more. 

This is yesterday at 2pm.

I may be overworking myself, but this is the first large fire that's been near my house since I got here in January. I think it's less than 20 miles from the house now- and considering it's burned over 20 miles so far, I'm sort of freaking out over here!

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 06:48:29 AM »
I will add the wolves to my prayers.  We have lots of friends and family in that area since I went to college there too and we are anxiously tracking the course of the fire as well.  Everyone in Colorado stay safe!

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal