collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So... who were your first 'new' ponies?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
So... who were your first 'new' ponies?
« on: June 06, 2012, 10:12:01 PM »
I was just having moment looking at a couple of my gals, and thinking how my collection had grown considerably over a reasonably short period of time. I started reflecting who were my first 'new' ponies.... meaning, when I started collecting, which were the first ponies I bought, adding to my childhood collection.

For me, I think it was Powder, who was in miserable shape when I got her but is gorgeous now  :biggrin:  And then she was followed closely by a bulk lot I bought, in which I got Sunlight and Parasol, and NSS Whistler, NSS Buttons, and Baby Bowtie (I look back now and think, wow, didn't realise at the time what awesome ponies I had scored! And cheap, too). Fizzy was next, and it goes on from there!

So how about you? Who did you kick off your collecting with, be it getting back into ponies, or starting a totally new thing?  :) :) :)

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
Re: So... who were your first 'new' ponies?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:42:46 PM »
I started customizing first (only a few), none of my childhood ponies remained due to little sisters :( I had some model horses but I hadn't thought about ponies in a long time. I LOOOOVED ponies as a kid. I had a herd of 22 at the biggest including My Pretty Pony I got for Christmas 1981 :)
I'm actually way more interested in getting the ponies I wanted as a kid, than the ones I had. My first 'collectible' I got was a g1 Barnacle. It actually wasn't that long ago either. Now I have quite the herd of boys growing and I finished restoring another childhood want: Gusty (but I made her in autumn colors). I REALLY wanted the big brother ponies as a kid, that's now the focus of my collection :)
And my whole family is hooked on FiM, so some of the new generation is finding it's way into my room, especially the blind bags.

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:50:21 PM »
Ooh, great thread! I started pony collecting by hunting in thrift stores, but I can't for the life of me remember which ponies were my first finds that way! Too long ago :blink:

Around the same time, I asked friends if they had any childhood ponies they'd want to come to live with mine :biggrin: I was given SS Lofty, Skippity-Doo and Wind Whistler, as well as TE Galaxy and Fizzy--among others, but those girls are still super special to me.

My first "official" collector purchase was Happyglow, so my childhood Dazzleglow would have a buddy. :heart:
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 10:55:50 PM »
The first pony I bought to add to my childhood collection was Kimono.  I was just too excited to see ponies in the shops again.  The first G1 I bought as an adult was splasher, as I always wished I had a sea pony when I was a kid.

Lavender_Lace

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 11:10:29 PM »
First pony I added was Pillow Talk, I found her at a thrift store when I was 18 and bought her because I'd never seen ponies anywhere since I was little.  I remember going to the toy store after finding her because I wanted more ponies, seeing the G2s and thinking to myself, those aren't ponies!  What have they done?!  It made me sad.  And when I discovered the MLP community back in 2000, the first pony I bought then was Goldilocks.  It was all down hill (for my bank account) from there.  :P  First G3 was Kimono, first G4, Cherry Pie.

Moonracer

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 05:46:12 AM »
I started collecting about a couple of months ago. From what I can remember, the first ponies I got for my collection (those who weren't an original part of my herd) were: Snowdrop, Lemondrop, Glory and Snowflake.

It was an impulse buy. This woman was selling them on an interent auction as one lot, and the auction had a "Buy It Now" option. So I chose that one. :-) The ponies themselves have a few flaws on them (especially Glory who doesn't have her symbols, needs to be rehaired and given a new tail), but I still think it was worth buying them all. :)

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 06:08:22 AM »
Mine was G4 Pinkie Pie, at the time I wasn't even thinking of collecting and just wanted a Pinkie to sit by my computer, since I love her so much :3

But then I decided I'd start collecting, joined the Arena, and not long later my collection grew.. xD
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 08:16:11 AM »
My first when I started collecting were 2011 McDonald's Fluttershy and a Rarity single^^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

antlercat

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 08:18:12 AM »
My first new pony when I started collecting again after childhood was Bowtie - she was my favourite as a kid and I had to have her again.
My collecting died down again until I saw Friendship is Magic, then I got my first new NEW pony, Fashion Style Rarity, as a gift from my boyfriend when we were holidaying in Gibraltar.
Such a pleasant surprise to find the toys there! :)

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 08:22:13 AM »
edit: Now I'm convinced that my first new ponies when I started collecting again were Fashion Style Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, and maybe Playful Pony Rarity. They're the first three ponies to show up in my Flickr album when I searched. Pinkie Pie was probably chosen because at that time, I had amassed an army of three G3 Pinkie Pies, the last Pinkie Pie came two years prior iirc. Fluttershy was a classic case of love-at-first-sight.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:34:23 AM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Wadatsumi

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 08:23:05 AM »
when i started collecting again, my first "new" pony was the g1 christmas pony cause i love x-mas so much! XD

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 08:33:21 AM »
I think my first was a plush Windy I got off of ebay around 1999 :)  I don't think I ever really stopped collecting hehe, but that plush is what started my online buying as an older collector :D
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 09:01:12 AM »
My first "new" pony after joining the Arena would be Applejack (G1). sunnydaze saw me mention how I liked AJ and her classic beauty and offered me one in exchange for my artwork. That was SOOO cool! :woot:
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline sweetstuff

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Did someone say ponies?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 09:32:59 AM »
That's a great question, I'm not sure who kick started it. I want to say my Dad  brought me some from a thrift store and then I "discovered" ebay. Sometime in 1998  I want to say. Oh and the Yahoo auctions, anyone remember those? *lol*

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »
For me it was not adding to a childhood collection since I no longer had my childhood G1s but starting pony collecting again with a new generation.
I bought all of the Mane 6 G4's in one go and that was the start of my collection.  ^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal