collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Show me... Feather wings!  (Read 4968 times)

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Show me... Feather wings!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 12:29:50 PM »
awesome, cause I was gonna use like 22 gauge wire like one tutorial suggested, but it's really just not very sturdy, 16 gauge should be good :3

So for the wings how do you attach the feathers? I know glue isn't a very good friend to feathers most of the time.. and I've seen people that to cosplay wings by doing the mesh, attaching batting and then sewing the feathers on..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 12:37:09 PM »
Sewing them in may be the best way to go about it, less messy way too. I have a custom that I want to do later on down the road with feathers and am stumped on where to even begin! If I think of any other methods aside from the one you guys came up with I will let you know :)
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
Oh Wait.. You mean for real feathers?

I think there may have been a miscommunication? The link I posted previously to Etsy was not my own shop. That is someone else, and I just happened to have it bookmarked.

What I use is for sculpting with apoxie.

But the lady who owns that shop seemed very kind. I had emailed her with a couple questions, and she was very polite and answered me quickly. Maybe you could send her a note through her shop to ask?

lilacamy931

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 09:02:38 AM »
well I had a go and here are my results if it helps others:
top side

underside

Not as purty as those etsy ones but hopefully not bad for first effort, the silver embellishments are partly to voer the ends of feathers at the top but also part of the custom design planning :)

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 09:28:55 AM »
I think they look pretty. What are the silver bits? Like, if I were to go buy some, what would I look for?

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 09:37:11 AM »
well I had a go and here are my results if it helps others:
top side

underside

Not as purty as those etsy ones but hopefully not bad for first effort, the silver embellishments are partly to voer the ends of feathers at the top but also part of the custom design planning :)

wow those are absolutely amazing, I love them o.o how did you end up doing them?

Post Merge: June 02, 2012, 09:38:31 AM

Oh Wait.. You mean for real feathers?

I think there may have been a miscommunication? The link I posted previously to Etsy was not my own shop. That is someone else, and I just happened to have it bookmarked.

What I use is for sculpting with apoxie.

But the lady who owns that shop seemed very kind. I had emailed her with a couple questions, and she was very polite and answered me quickly. Maybe you could send her a note through her shop to ask?
lol XD oh I thought it was your shop :3

lilacamy931

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 10:42:23 AM »
@Maniah, they are actually little cones that flattened and manipulated, off of Ebay (hopefully post linkie)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270949320363#ht_500wt_956
Search: Open Wrap Filigree Cone Bead Caps Jewellery Making Findings  or silver cone findings.
Hope that helps!

@Alatariel-Silimaure - unfortunately I did not take progress pics as it took my undivided attention!
The feathers I brought had feathers from right and left wings (which I think is important for the shaping as another batch I got was only one wing side- to note that I brought these from local sheddings and sourcing).

1. Made a wire frame with mesh exactly as if to make sculpted wing frame in the tutorials.
2. Sewed the outer feathers onto the frame at different points to ensure secured, also sewing through the tough quill at the end, trying to ensure the thread would be covered by next layers of feather.
3. The inside feathers used super glue but the gel stuff - Power flex control by loctite. applying mostly along middle quill of the feather and holding onto the mesh.
4. If had feather fluff or smaller feathers would have applied more but as wanted embellishments opened the cone findings, super glue and pliers onto the tops.

Hope that gives a little overview how proceeded?

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 10:53:53 AM »
@Maniah, they are actually little cones that flattened and manipulated, off of Ebay (hopefully post linkie)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270949320363#ht_500wt_956
Search: Open Wrap Filigree Cone Bead Caps Jewellery Making Findings  or silver cone findings.
Hope that helps!

@Alatariel-Silimaure - unfortunately I did not take progress pics as it took my undivided attention!
The feathers I brought had feathers from right and left wings (which I think is important for the shaping as another batch I got was only one wing side- to note that I brought these from local sheddings and sourcing).

1. Made a wire frame with mesh exactly as if to make sculpted wing frame in the tutorials.
2. Sewed the outer feathers onto the frame at different points to ensure secured, also sewing through the tough quill at the end, trying to ensure the thread would be covered by next layers of feather.
3. The inside feathers used super glue but the gel stuff - Power flex control by loctite. applying mostly along middle quill of the feather and holding onto the mesh.
4. If had feather fluff or smaller feathers would have applied more but as wanted embellishments opened the cone findings, super glue and pliers onto the tops.

Hope that gives a little overview how proceeded?

That helps out quite a lot actually :3

I wish I had a place to get nice feathers like that... all I have are the bags of feathers I can get from Michaels...  :cry:

lilacamy931

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 10:56:22 AM »
whispers Ebay ;) these feathers are from pigeon or mallard - cant remember! if ok to go through ebay from hong kong sellers the choice gets more broader

edit to say unsure what feathers can get from Michaels? US store only?

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 10:59:29 AM »
whispers Ebay ;) these feathers are from pigeon or mallard - cant remember! if ok to go through ebay from hong kong sellers the choice gets more broader

edit to say unsure what feathers can get from Michaels? US store only?
only local place I have that even has feathers and such is Michaels. I need black feathers, so I have a bag of black craft feathers >_<

lilacamy931

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »
hmm that would raven/magpie if able to get though pretty large..ohhh try looking on U.S. Ebay perhaps for rooster feathers as they come in the different sizes and also natural or dyed. If not mallard!

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 11:05:30 AM »
hmm... any idea how to search that so I don't get crafting feathers?

lilacamy931

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 11:13:26 AM »
Let me see.. I originally searched "small feathers" to get ones under 6 inches and case sifting through.

Try: Hackle feathers, the individual bird types (also try pheasant), marabou feathers (these are the fluffier types),

feathers for fly tying and millinery, also if after certain colour just try black feathers and sift through entries, spell feathers.

For me I then select Location to be UK (for me) so dont get Hong Kong entries unless willing to wait.

Also the categories use the "Crafts" and/or "Home & Garden" otherwise end up with feathered bags, shoes, etc XD I did have way too much time on my hands to really research and pinpoint what I was after

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 11:19:11 AM »
<.< yes you did lol but that's very helpful :3

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 11:25:03 AM »
Look for Fly Fishing Feathers. You can buy whole wings. >.> Drop me a PM if you like. I cannot speak about this topic in the open! The walls have ears!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal