collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP and gender roles  (Read 12380 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: MLP and gender roles
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2012, 08:27:07 AM »
When a man can't express himself because he will be harassed for being "gay", that is still oppression.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2012, 08:52:29 AM »
Maybe the episode could have been the girls were anticipating the return of the Big Brother Ponies, but they don't show up.  They go looking for them and discover they've been enslaved by a siren or something.  However, I think marketing had something to do with them being the heroes (it was their episode.)  To be fair, they also fell under Sonambula's spell and needed the babies to snap them out of it twice.  Also, it was David "Heartthrob Likes Bipeds" Wise (no, Dave, I'm never letting you live that down.)
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Opalescence

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2012, 08:59:21 AM »

I also don't like shows where they have to constantly emasculate the local male population to make the female characters look better.  That's sexism against men.

Because you know what the biggest issue in today's culture (popular and otherwise) is? Sexism against men. There was such a long period of time where men couldn't vote, and they got paid less than women, and ...

Oh, wait.

My lady, I humbly request to subscribe to your newsletter.

As for the shipping, I remember hilarious whines in the more randumb fanon chatrooms from fanonists and shippers when Big Macintosh was paired with Cheerilee in the Valentines Day episode instead of their prefered mare, sister or colt (Caramel having a girlfriend only made things worse for them)

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2012, 09:05:06 AM »
I remember how they started saying Caramel was bi after that.  I was like, "Isn't it possible you could just be wrong?"

And of course with this post I reach "Captain Jack Pony" rank. >_<
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Pinecone

« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2012, 01:12:42 PM »
Haha, big brother ponies. One of the most obvious MARKETING!11 episodes. I did like how it focused on the kids helping out (the music couldn't harm the baby ponies and Spike because it seems to have an age limit), but it would be better if they completely saved the day somehow.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2012, 02:24:31 PM »
Season 2 as a whole was one unabashed marketing skirt after another.  The joys of having a bunch of new ponies and only 13 episodes.  They never got to the Twice as Fancies or the new Flutter Ponies.

Pinecone

« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2012, 03:24:17 PM »
Yeah, they had to repeat the words "Newborn Twins" until they jammed it in kids' heads.

Not that Friendship is Magic isn't a big marketing thing. When I saw the Gala, I thought "This is going to be a toy set, isn't it?" Not to mention Rarity' wings, and of course, that Pony Royal Wedding thing. Oh, and the train episodes!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2012, 03:40:09 PM »
AThough, I hate strawmen in shows in general (even strawman villains) so I don't like it the other way around either or within genders.

And yet -

Maybe the episode could have been the girls were anticipating the return of the Big Brother Ponies, but they don't show up.  They go looking for them and discover they've been enslaved by a siren or something.

Woah, an Evil Powerful Woman using her powers of Sexy Magic to enslave helpless male characters? No one's ever done THAT before!

Society's ideas of "good" and "bad" women are so pervasive, they even show up in our unconscious ideas of IDEAL cartoons! Which is why it's even more important to have a show focused on girls/women, so that there are good role models who aren't Girlfriend, Mother or Villian, even if it's only in one show. Men/boys have tons of role models and heroic characters to look up to - let's let the girls have My Little Pony, mmm?

I also don't like shows where they have to constantly emasculate the local male population to make the female characters look better.  That's sexism against men.

Because you know what the biggest issue in today's culture (popular and otherwise) is? Sexism against men. There was such a long period of time where men couldn't vote, and they got paid less than women, and ...

Oh, wait.

My lady, I humbly request to subscribe to your newsletter.

Of course! only $99,999.99 per year! (Hey, a girl's gotta make her pony money SOMEHOW!) ;D
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Tenar

« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2012, 03:57:01 PM »
Children see thing differently than adults do. They don't nessisarily read the same messages. 

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »
You seem particularly testy about this issue.  You should relax.

That was just me throwing out an idea that was similar to the episode in question (hypnotic music brings ponies under its sway.)  A siren would also put the girls in the advantage of not being affected by the villain's primary attack.  There are various perils that could have befallen them on their race around the world or after they got back.

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »
This is a warning to please keep things civil or the thread will be locked.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Stuntmang

« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »

Oh, wait.
Are we allowed to emptyquote? Cause I wanna emptyquote this.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2012, 05:52:27 PM »

Oh, wait.
Are we allowed to emptyquote? Cause I wanna emptyquote this.

Haha, had to google that one! Now I'm smarter! ;) Thank you! :heart:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2012, 06:37:17 PM »
You seem particularly testy about this issue.  You should relax.

...wow. That was INCREDIBLY patronising....
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2012, 06:41:43 PM »
No.  Seriously.  They should relax.  They seem to jump down my throat.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal