collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: People seem to dislike the Gen directly before the current one.  (Read 8418 times)

Offline sweetstuff

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Did someone say ponies?!
    • View Profile
Re: People seem to dislike the Gen directly before the current one.
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 02:29:02 PM »
I agree with many of the things Ladymoondancer said earlier.

I have my qualms with each generation, the G1s are my favorite - but even then the last few years I don't care for (yes, I'm still against PP ponies and the soda sipping ponies).

G2s, while I don't *hate* them, I don't  collect them either. I  think the baby unicorns are pretty darn cute, but that's about it.

G3s  -  I still love them too, but yes when they were on a mass roll out  it was near impossible to keep up, I had to get choosy about which ones I wanted to get. Then we got into the problem of some ponies coming in ump-teen different varients, then the Core 7  over and over and over. I got bored.  I got a few Ponyvilles and tried to keep up with the special edition ponies, but life and kids happen.

3.5 - I was bored with core 7 and so I never really wanted to get them. I have baby RD because she was cute. I wanted to get the mom/baby sets - but  that didn't happen.

G4s - Not really interested in getting them right now. I bought AJ when she came out to put on my daughter's 1st cake and then she got another one  for Christmas from her aunt. That's it. I've started watching the show and I enjoy it. I have a couple of Wave 1 blind bags, but not even all of those (again, time/money/family).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 03:02:56 PM »
I don't have an opinion about the G3 toys one way or the other, but I can say with all certainty that the cartoon was crap. That's probably where a good chunk of the animosity comes from.
It was pretty much aimed at very young children. It's pretty normal adults, teenagers or even older children will not be entertained by them. Thanks to my two four year old cousins i have watched quite a bit of cartoons aimed at that age group and honestly there are toons out there that are FAR worse than those G3 movies. I don't think they are as bad as people claim they are. Not at all.
And no, i am not talking about those newborn cuties "cartoons". Some cheap flash animation that was used on their site should not be compared to a full animated series with an actual budget.

WeirdRaptor

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »
True, but even stuff that's aimed at little kids can have conflict, which the G3 cartoon was sorely lacking in. Sitting through one of those was like watching Seinfeld taken to it's next illogical step in being the show about nothing. Nothing, I do mean, nothing happens in any of them.

Online flowersinherhair

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 03:38:46 PM »

Omg the G2 wars. The graphics and banners. Somebody dig those up, eh?

Ohhh man, I'd love to see those again! I remember one that said something like, "they're skinny... they break easily... they have weird faces... so how come no one hates flutters??"  :P

WeirdRaptor

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 03:56:25 PM »
I remember those. Lady Moondancer used to have them all over her old site, "Moondancer's Dream".

Offline Rika_of_Thunder

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2012, 04:08:24 PM »
When I first joined the pony scene, G3s seemed to be pretty well liked. Heck, even now I see a lot of collectors preferring them over other gens because of their resemblance to G1, as well as maintaining horse like features.

I think a large amount of the hate is coming from bronies who are used to the streamlined stylization of G4.

Personally, while I think the actual molds for G3 are a tad generic, there are a LOT of really nice designs to be found, I also like that it has a lot less pink than G4 does |D

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »
I actually think g3s are pretty well liked in general.  They were just so plentiful that there isn't as much commotion about them as there is about g1s.

Yes, the Core 7 followed in short order by the g3.5s kind of killed off the popularity of the line for a lot of the fans (me included.). But, before that?  We had diversity and some popularity and some very pretty ponies.  And ponies that were harder to find, like the birth flowers or the babies (Target exclusives) remain popular with some collectors, if perhaps not as popular as g1s.

So, I guess what I'm saying is I don't think the g3s are really disliked. 
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2012, 06:06:19 PM »
When G2 came out, the community was all abuzz at what the new ponies would be like. The community was divided on them. I liked them enough to get one. The US ones were lackluster to me, and I really wanted the UK G2 I'd hear about. and now years later, I've yet to get one, but I hope to soon.  I've grown to appreciate them.

G3 came out and I collected those. They seemed to be accepted by collectors, but as someone else said, they released so many!   
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2012, 06:19:09 PM »
Ahhhhh, the G2 wars, back when ponies were SRS BSNESS!!!11one   :silly:

Yeah, looking back it all seems kind of silly.   These days I'm just happy when I see people calling the Tales TV show "Tales" or "G1.5" instead of "G2."  Brooooonies, Tales is not G-Twoooooo.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »
Not true for me... I loved the G3s since I saw them in stores, and I've loved them since! :)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 07:42:22 PM »
I think that there were just too many to keep up with and that they were overproduced. There was never an "I FINALLY FOUND HER!" moment for me because G3's were everywhere ;) It made pony hunting not as exciting, for me anyway. Now I complain that I can't find any G4's, lol! But G3 is my second fave generation and I will always love them :)
My Wish List

Blitzn

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »
I actually think g3s are pretty well liked in general.  They were just so plentiful that there isn't as much commotion about them as there is about g1s.

Yes, the Core 7 followed in short order by the g3.5s kind of killed off the popularity of the line for a lot of the fans (me included.). But, before that?  We had diversity and some popularity and some very pretty ponies.  And ponies that were harder to find, like the birth flowers or the babies (Target exclusives) remain popular with some collectors, if perhaps not as popular as g1s.

So, I guess what I'm saying is I don't think the g3s are really disliked. 

Wholly agree. 

Also I don't like the G3.5 or G4 sculpts or artwork. I wish Hasbro would release more art ponies.

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 09:05:37 PM »
I've liked all the generations with the exception of the g3.5's.  So nyah! LOL!
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2012, 03:28:37 PM »
I've liked all the generations with the exception of the g3.5's.  So nyah! LOL!

Well that jolly well told me :D

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2012, 03:46:30 PM »
I don't know - I was 18 when G2's came out, and I didn't particularly care for them then either, LOL!

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal