collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: People seem to dislike the Gen directly before the current one.  (Read 8408 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: People seem to dislike the Gen directly before the current one.
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 09:31:56 AM »
I dislike G3.5 because it's Core 7.  I actually like G3 but I have no interest in collecting the 450 or so ponies that G3 makes up.  There are some G2 I like and wouldn't say no to.  But my main interest will always nostalgically be the G1s.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 09:48:35 AM »
I do collect all generations though right now I just wanna focus on my regular want list for G1s. I will always love G1s. They will be what I mainly love to collect.
 Though I do have alot of G3s I can not seem to get rid of them they do have a certian appeal to me but I dont collect the core7 stuff. I also try to keep it down in G3 poses to one or two of that particular pony.
I hate to admit this even though I dont collect G3.5s or G2s. Though I do have 1 G2 who is staying in my herd. I'm fine with that. I also do have G3.5s but I gave them to my daughter to play with.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:50:53 AM by SkyCakes »

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »
G3 looked like giant-headed G1's who had dieted themselves almost to death trying to look like supermodels or something

:lmao:  Some of the G3s, especially those with harder plastic do have big heads!  LOL That does bug me.  XDDD

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »
I can't says I have ever hated any of the generations. I never got into G2's but I still think they are pretty. I don't care for the ones with the what looks like press on thick eyelashes, or the beddy bye eyes,but I don't hate them I even have a bbe lofty but I think she is cute. What gets me is I have seen some discussions on G4 boards where people have such a hatred for the G1's that it is not even funny. It kinda makes you wanna go(even though I haven't...yet lol) hey if not for the G1's your G4s's wouldn't be here..lol..That's probably mean, but man you should have seen some of the stuff I have read Whew! I mean I can understand not liking something, everyone is not going to like the same things(It would be a dull world to me in a way if everyone did) but I just can't understand the need to be so negative about it or negative towards people that like one generation but not the other.  I must admit I actually like the G3.5's I am working on one as a custom but I have three that I plan to keep and looking for a couple more. I think they are cute in a odd sort of way. Then again I have odd tastes sometimes. I have to admit though I have seen some amazing customs made from them. That's just my two cents on it.  ^.^
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »
I think there is multiple factors.  G3, as others have said, is plentiful right now and easy to come by.  I personally think that will slowly change over time.  We still have a few more years before the kids who grew up with G3 get old enough to have disposable income.  So love for older gens is basically true in that since.  After a certain amount of time nostalgia will set in *and* there will be fewer to be had.  Neither of these things have happened for G3 yet.  Just give it time.

In the meantime, you will always have some people who are excited by whatever is newest in the store and they will spend their money there instead of on older items. 

As others have said, it can also depend on who you talk to and why that person calls themselves a fan of mlp.

G3 seems to get a lot of hate from newer fans these days because it is too "girly" compared to the current show. Most people don't seem to know the targeted age group was different from the one now and seem to judge G3 based on the movies rather than the toys.
Frankly, hating on older gens seems to have become a bit of a "cool" thing to do and G3 suffers the most from it. Possibly because there are still G3/G3.5 products in the stores and because characters like Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash are portrayed in them as, again, being "too girly".

I agree with this also and with whoever said that a lot of newer fans and bronies judge the generations by the cartoons rather than the actual toys.  I even remember making several comments to my sister during G3 about how the cartoons were being made for a younger audience than G1 was.

This is also the reason you here so many complaints about how the G4 toys are "inaccurate."   I actually find this mindset a little unfair considering that the cartoons have traditionally been a way of selling the toys and not the other way around.  Maybe we should complain that the show isn't accurate to the toys, lol!

Offline xkappax

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Kappacino Creations
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »
Heh, some people simply dislike everything that came before G4. They just dislike G3,5 the most.

And while I wouldn't say that I hate 3.5, I can clearly see why the design would scare people away.

I just don't like G 3.5 because I collect ponies, not ducks.

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 11:14:14 AM »
Heh, some people simply dislike everything that came before G4. They just dislike G3,5 the most.

And while I wouldn't say that I hate 3.5, I can clearly see why the design would scare people away.

LOL!! I just looked at my G 3.5 Scootaloo and yeah I now see the duck resemblance. Would have never thought that till I read your comment lol
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 12:44:44 PM »

LOL  I never saw it like that before... I will now always see G3.5 as ducks and G4 as deer.  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

nikki-whisker

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 12:59:43 PM »
Personally, I think G3 was the most aesthetically pleasing generation.  It doesn't hold the childhood nostalgia for me that G1 does, but I'm actually finding my G3s harder to get rid of than my G1s and G2s because they look so pretty and shiny and colourful when I get them out, lol.  I never bought any G3.5 or G4 as I don't really like the shape of them and didn't have the time or money really.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 01:03:34 PM »
This is also the reason you here so many complaints about how the G4 toys are "inaccurate."   I actually find this mindset a little unfair considering that the cartoons have traditionally been a way of selling the toys and not the other way around.  Maybe we should complain that the show isn't accurate to the toys, lol!

Ha, i actually wish we would see more of the toy characters in the show.
I feel like they look better than a lot of the background ponies, who seem to be rather lacking in multi-colored manes and such.
I also think a lot of people consider the toys to be "inaccurate" just because they come with brushable manes.

Offline xkappax

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Kappacino Creations
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 01:10:37 PM »

LOL  I never saw it like that before... I will now always see G3.5 as ducks and G4 as deer.  :)

Quack! :P

Offline Opalescence

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 01:14:57 PM »
Ha, i actually wish we would see more of the toy characters in the show.
I feel like they look better than a lot of the background ponies, who seem to be rather lacking in multi-colored manes and such.
I also think a lot of people consider the toys to be "inaccurate" just because they come with brushable manes.

My belief is they're just scared of spending any effort to get the toys to have a decent hairstyle. Resin manes (which are appearantly highly sought after) are just an easy (yet expensive) way out.

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 01:18:48 PM »
i like g3.5, but i would have liked it a whole lot more if it had more characters! the same 7 over and over is just boring.

Omg the G2 wars. The graphics and banners. Somebody dig those up, eh?
i've read all about that, lol. i wonder what those banners look like?
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

MoongazerThePony

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2012, 01:59:08 PM »
(I feel like you are talking about me with the new found G2 love heheh!)

I LOVE every generation. I have G3 & G3.5 stickers all around my computer screen, and on my drawing notebook.  I used to not like g1-g3.5 because bronies called them so bad. This site made me realize how dumb the bronies were, ever generation is beautiful and perfect in its own way.

Everyone should have their own opinion about something, not just doing what they think others will like. Same with my friends, they despised earlier generations. I asked why, and they said "The fandom hates them". Now they have huge collections of earlier generations, because they learned to respect and love generations 1-3.

Now if everyone was like this... I guess we can't ever live in a world of "love and tolerance" for every generation...

WeirdRaptor

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2012, 02:18:40 PM »
I don't have an opinion about the G3 toys one way or the other, but I can say with all certainty that the cartoon was crap. That's probably where a good chunk of the animosity comes from.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:20:11 PM by WeirdRaptor »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal