collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone else forget what they have?  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Anyone else forget what they have?
« on: May 20, 2012, 06:53:03 PM »
Last week I found Sherbert at a thrift store and bought her even though I thought I already had her. I knew I had two Sundae Bests, but I thought it was Swirly Whirly (my very first pony) and Sherbert, but I just checked my checklist and it's apparently Banana Surprise, not Sherbert, that I already had. Looking at her picture, that seems right. I just can't believe I got confused! I have now 189 unique G1s which I realize is a lot to remember, but I thought I'd at least be able recognize a pony I don't yet have! I actually avoid looking at lots of pictures of ponies I don't have to avoid this problem!

I can't be alone in forgetting who's in my collection, especially those of you with large collections...anyone else reach a point where they couldn't remember anymore? Or maybe I should phrase that as "when did you start to forget?"
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:55:54 PM by Elisto »

Offline TokiBear

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • We're all stories in the end...
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else forget what they have?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 06:57:51 PM »
I currently don't really know who all is in my collection.  They are all boxed away... which makes me feel sad... haha But even when they are on display, I have to watch myself in buying doubles that I don't mean to buy if I can help it. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BigBrotherPony

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »
Yup, I have got to the stage where I am definitely suffering a little pony amnesia!

I am particularly bad with groups of ponies that are all quite similar, sea ponies/ baby sea ponies are my worst as well as baby pony floats, sweetheart sisters, teeny tiny babies, and dance and prance for some reason.

I think I may remember ponies by symbol first, and as sea ponies don't have them that always throws me off. And then as SHS ponies are all generally flowery and tone on tone colours with in similar poses, I get them muddled up too.

I also suppose that as I am somewhere round owning a thousand ponies who are currently all boxed up and over the years I must have looked at hundreds of pictures of ponies, I guess it is inevitable I can't remember everypony.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 07:15:47 PM »
Oh, I've been getting the SHS confused for a long time now...I don't even know how many of those I have without looking at my list, never mind which ones! Like you said BigBrother, I recognize first by symbol too, and then color, and the SHS symbols are too similar.

Dyzarktarzk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »
It happened to me with Princess Starburts... I KNOW she's the only one I was missing, and almost passed her thinking 'I already have her... and she's tailess...'.  When my mom asked why I was leaving her behind.  Thought and said: "OK, for $0.50 let's take her home..."  and on the way I started with:  "... SHE'S THE ONLY ONE I WAS MISSING!!!  What happened to me almost not picking her up?!"

So... yeah, I have a lot of ponies, know almost all of them, and was leaving behind one I don't have...

Already passed some ponies I'm missing this way (they were of the Newborn Twins ;_; *cries*).

Offline ember86

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • A very picky little pony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 07:42:12 PM »
I forget who I have all the time, and what's worse sometimes I forget the names of some of the ponies I have! :redface:
  Thank you Scraleos for my sig! Thank you MLPmintchocolatechip for my a avatar  Have a very pony day [you]
My etsy shop

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 08:06:45 PM »
I have this problem with g3s.

Recently put Silver Lining on my wishlist and then found her at the thrift store, took her off the list and threw her into the "to be cleaned" bag and promptly forgot I had her.  So, a couple of weeks ago, I added her back to my wishlist and then found her at the bottom of the bag.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 08:11:42 PM »
This has maybe happened to me once or twice, but I'd guess that it would only happen with ponies I don't really like, like BBEs. But for the most part, I have always been good at recognizing a pony that I have/don't have. I have roughly 260 unique G1s and around 220 G3s (though that includes some re-releases).

With names on the other hand, I'm not so hot, heh.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:17:26 PM by PinkRosedust »
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Glacia471

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 08:13:49 PM »
I have this issue with G3s as well :yikes: I'm not into them as much as I am G1s or G2s, and unless they were a favorite of mine, there's a good chance I don't remember if I have them or not :drunk:

There are a few G1s this has happened to me with too. Mostly long hair/short hair AJ/Bowtie/Firefly/Medley. I know I have at least 1 of the variations, but not necessarily which one. I recently picked up an AJ at a garage sale thinking I'd clean her up and rehome her, but she turned out to be one I needed! :whoa:

The only other G1s this happens to me with are the UK nurses. I know I have 1 of the 3, but can never remember which :yikes:

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 08:16:07 PM »
All the time. I'm so forgetful. If I've been after a certain pony for a very long time, I will still be on the look out even after I've gotten it.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 09:05:32 PM »
this happens to me with all ponies. I try my best to keep track but it seems worse with G3s. there were times I didnt think I had for example Pink dreams and the slumber party newborns then to find out I do have them. I swear I leave ponies in rubber bin containers and they mutiply. I think im so active on here that I loose track to easily sometimes.

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 09:21:04 PM »
If I've been after a certain pony for a very long time, I will still be on the look out even after I've gotten it.

I've caught myself doing this a few times. :P
Like with Tornado, I was after him for a few months, got him as a gift and then continued to shop around for him. I got half way through typing up a PM to a member that had him for sale before I realized, duh, I already had him. XD

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 09:33:36 PM »
I do.  Not so much with G1's but definitely g3s and G4s.  I am a bit more familiar with my G1s because they're my fave.  With the G4s they are just overwhelming me.  I buy so many at one time it is really hard to keep track.  And now that I am travelling I can't just look at them to see. 

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 10:15:21 PM »
I only collect certain ponies so usually I can remember what I've got. When it comes to the smaller things though, like Petites and Ponyville, I always have to check and see which ones I have because they're so similar. I do have a double of one Petite because I thought I didn't have it.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 11:10:59 PM »
Nope.  I have a smallish collection (about 65) and about 30 of those are childhood ponies who I have had years to get to know.  The others are all ponies that I fell in love with and had to have, so they are all memorable to me too.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal