collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Monster High Addiction  (Read 7245 times)

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
Re: My Monster High Addiction
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »
Ah, I wish I knew how to adjust my camera settings! I 'm so not technical when it comes to photography. I have the creativity and the drive, but that camera. Grrr. And sets. I'd kill to have some awesome miniature toy sets to work with. Kill!
Me too. I want to get more of the MH sets, but they're so expensive. I saw Clawdeen's bunkbed set at the Warehouse this morning, but it was NZ$80! Of course, it comes with Clawdeen as well, but still ...

I'd love Frankie's bed and Lala's bathtub too. That Coffin Bean set looks pretty cool, and so does the fold-up schoolhouse. I also saw Ghoulia's scooter at a different Warehouse. I'd love to have the money to burn on all of those sets. Of course, I'd also need somewhere to store them.

What I'd really like is backdrops and stuff.

I also just discovered that there is a series of 12" Star Wars dolls, some of which are still not anymore expensive than your average MH doll. I'm gonna have to get me some of those! Can you imagine someone like Frankie dressed up as a Jedi with a lightsaber? F'ing awesome!

Your poster totally needs to be put up in schools across the world! hehe. I can envision a whole series of them already!
:biggrin:

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 01:44:02 AM »
Look who just rolled in from the UK! Thanks miss!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

look who just rolled in! by pukunui81, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:28:23 AM by pukunui »

Offline CasseminaPie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Cassemina's Corner
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 04:01:21 AM »
Oh wow that is such a cool photo!!! This sounds completely stupid but I am almost convinced you got her to do a real jump on her skateboard :D
Come visit my blog!

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 04:40:15 AM »
Oh wow that is such a cool photo!!! This sounds completely stupid but I am almost convinced you got her to do a real jump on her skateboard :D
Excellent!

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 06:01:08 AM »
Finally got around to doing a group shot:

sightseeing by pukunui81, on Flickr

This was not a fun shoot. It was windy, the dolls kept falling over, and other people kept coming up the mountain. No one actually came and made fun of me, but I was slightly nervous that someone would. A grown man playing with dollies in public is a grown man asking for trouble ... Anyway, this is the only shot I got because they all toppled over en masse right after I took the photo (even though I'd stuck them all down with sticky tack to this concrete block) and by that point I'd had enough, so I went home.[/size]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:29:18 AM by pukunui »

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 07:41:46 AM »
How did you get that skateboard shot?

I too have a fear of photographing my ghouls in public. You're brave, man! The best I've done is bright my ghouls to my friend Tim's backyard for a shoot. There's a house a few blocks from me that has the most awesome outdoor dollhouse on the front lawn (decoration only, it looks like) and I'm dying to ask the homeowner if I can use it for a shoot. I'm too embarrassed though. It's right on the main road. If only society was more, er, openminded.

CoverGoth

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »

I too have a fear of photographing my ghouls in public. You're brave, man! The best I've done is bright my ghouls to my friend Tim's backyard for a shoot. There's a house a few blocks from me that has the most awesome outdoor dollhouse on the front lawn (decoration only, it looks like) and I'm dying to ask the homeowner if I can use it for a shoot. I'm too embarrassed though. It's right on the main road. If only society was more, er, openminded.

You could always send in a niece or family friend to do your dirty work. Or even just accompany you? That way...it'll LOOK like you're doing it for the girl and you might feel less embarrassed? We just had Extreme Home Makeover come through town and they built a house that looks like a dollhouse. It makes me wish we had people-sized MH dolls!

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2012, 01:25:37 PM »
You could always send in a niece or family friend to do your dirty work. Or even just accompany you? That way...it'll LOOK like you're doing it for the girl and you might feel less embarrassed?
Yes, my standard response, should anyone ask, is that I am doing it for my daughters. That way, hopefully, I'll be praised for being such a wonderful father rather than made fun of for being a grown man playing with dollies. Yesterday was my first time taking the ghouls out in public, though, and no one said anything. I've never had anyone say anything to me while I was photographing my ponies, but then they're much smaller and easier to conceal amongst the tall grass and such. But I think I would say I was doing it for my daughters even then as well.

That would be telling!  ^.^

Seriously, though, I took a photo of me holding her in that position, and then a photo without her there and then photoshopped out my arm and hand.

If only society was more, er, openminded.
We are slowly getting there.

Offline Starie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »
Sorry to hijack your thread about monster high dolls (your photography is gorgeous by the way) but I just need to comment on the way you style ponies hair. I've been trying to style my Plumsweet for forever and for the life of me I just can't figure out how you do such an amazing job!

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »
Your photography is to.die.for. Beautiful! And if I hadn't just got my Howleen a couple weeks ago, that pic of her on that skateboard would have made me cry with envy. She looks soooo cool and needs more love for her hair and stock, I think.

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2012, 04:30:34 PM »
Sorry to hijack your thread about monster high dolls (your photography is gorgeous by the way) but I just need to comment on the way you style ponies hair. I've been trying to style my Plumsweet for forever and for the life of me I just can't figure out how you do such an amazing job!
No worries. Just FYI: I do have a thread for my pony photos in the Pony Corral. Here's a link: creative pony photography.

Your photography is to.die.for. Beautiful! And if I hadn't just got my Howleen a couple weeks ago, that pic of her on that skateboard would have made me cry with envy. She looks soooo cool and needs more love for her hair and stock, I think.
Thank you very much! I bought my Howleen off miss, who sent her to me from the UK. I doubt we'll ever get her down here.

Offline Psivampyr

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2012, 12:24:43 AM »
As a idea, you could always just tell people who are asking why you are taking pictures of dolls, Tell them you are a photo student and it's a part of your class. Totally legit, and acceptable with anyone who would approach. They are great pictures by the way. I look forward to seeing more.

And how are people getting Howleen?? I totally want her, but am running into walls where I go. Can someone direct me to a good seller??
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:27:03 AM by Psivampyr »

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »
As a idea, you could always just tell people who are asking why you are taking pictures of dolls, Tell them you are a photo student and it's a part of your class. Totally legit, and acceptable with anyone who would approach. They are great pictures by the way. I look forward to seeing more.
That certainly is an option. Telling people I'm doing it for my daughters is less of a lie, though, and is more likely to net me some brownie points in the "aww, you're such a great dad" category.  :biggrin:

And how are people getting Howleen?? I totally want her, but am running into walls where I go. Can someone direct me to a good seller??
I got mine used from a fellow MLP Arena user in the UK. Just got lucky that I saw her post in the MH sales forum before she sold her to someone else, I guess.

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2012, 02:31:13 AM »
Look who I found yesterday!

s'up, homies? by pukunui81, on Flickr

I honestly was not intending to buy a Clawd, but this was the only one I've seen here in Auckland (not counting the empty box I saw at another shop ~ I can only presume that the doll was ripped out of it and stolen), so I hummed and hawed for a bit ... that NZ$52.99 price tag was rather off-putting ... but then I saw the dress that came with him and I was smitten:

come hither by pukunui81, on Flickr

Incidentally, I also took a light painting portrait of Ghoulia with her owl. Here it is:

the smartest ghoul in school by pukunui81, on Flickr

I hadn't actually intended to add Ghoulia to my collection either, as I don't like most of the dolls of hers they've released. I like this one's outfit, and I hadn't seen any of her before, then I found two at one shop and then a bunch at the shop where I found Clawd. However, I figured I'd get one since she's a wave 1 and comes with a cute owl pet, and then when I took her out of the box, I decided I liked her enough to keep her for now after all.

That being said, I've got a Gloom Beach Ghoulia and a Physical Deaducation Ghoulia on the way and when they arrive, I'll have a good long think about whether or not I want to keep them all and if not, which one(s) I want to keep and which one(s) I want to sell. I've got a DotD Ghoulia I'm trying to sell nude at the moment, as I only really wanted the shoes (although I decided to keep the glittery tights and dress as well). Got no takers on eBay, strangely enough, so now I'm trying the local version, Trade Me.

[Please remember not to use any of my photos without my permission!]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:30:35 AM by pukunui »

Offline CasseminaPie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Cassemina's Corner
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2012, 03:44:58 AM »
LOVE Frankie's new dress - and omg her boots! So cute! Photos look amazing :)'

Off topic but am I the only one who struggles to dress these dolls? I swear my hands are bleeding from my earlier attempt!
Come visit my blog!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal